4 replies to this topic

#1 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:14 AM

So last weekend, as a sort of John Gardner tribute, I plowed through Brokenclaw, the first non-Fleming Bond books I've read in probably 4-5 years.

Starts off very well, with the first encounter of Brokenclaw, then Bond's adventures in Chinatown. Then theirs like 40-50 pages of briefing and plot and backstory (I liked Wanda's story, but it's not like she goes on to be a major character), M being so frustratingly coy about revealing the details does help. But it quickly gets good again as Bond and Chi-Chi go off on their mission. I like how their undercover mission is played out, how they could potentially be reveals as not who they claim to be at any moment, and they way they have to place themselves entirely in Brokenclaw's hands, being led into the unknown (the scene were Bond looks out the window and sees the mountains of West Virginia or wherever it was best shows this).

Brokenclaw Lee is such a good character, his caper really isn't worthy of him. He's got a Mr. Big-esque aura, and a Dr. No-esque self-assurance, but he needs an Auric Goldfinger-esque caper. He needs, no, he deserves a scheme with a little more finessee.

Anyway, I found Brokenclaw a real smooth ride. Fast and fun. Apparently it's rated as one of the worst, and that rating is probably not unjustified, but hell, I enjoyed it. Enough to rekindle an interest in the continuation novels and go seek out the five or six Gardners I still haven't read anyway. :cooltongue:

#2 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:58 AM

Very interesting, Mate. :cooltongue:

Once I've caught up with the Flemmmmming novels, I must purchase these.

Cheers,

Ian

#3 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

I liked that book a lot. Brokenclaw's house was a really cool touch, I always liked when Bond was off balance and that's just what he was in that house.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

Brokenclaw gets trashed a lot. Even Gardner didn't speak highly of it. But I've always liked it. I think it one of his better books. Certainly one of the best of his 90s novels. I really love the Indian torture ordeal at the end. Very Fleming.

#5 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

That end torture bit I really loved. Reminded me of the last bit of Dr No when Bond is tested and watched thru his whole ordeal. As I said, make Bond hurt, uncomfortable it makes it better and much like Flem, Gardner knew how to put Bond through some stuff.