This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

TMWTRT proof jacket. More Glidrose/Eon strangeness?

10 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 04:39 PM

I just purchased online a copy of TMWTRT in a proof jacket. I haven't seen it yet, but the bookseller tells me the main difference with the proof is that it features pics of all the Benson books on the back flap, including the novelizations. But on the trade/issue jacket the novelizations have been removed for some reason.

Strange, no? Did Glidrose take them away so as to not support Eon

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:36 PM

Very interesting! How much did you pick it up for John?

Please send us a scan (if you can) when you get it, I'd be really interested in seeing the jacket.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:40 PM

Well... It was pretty pricey at $92, but it's a first signed by Benson with review and promo material laid in and has both the trade jacket and the proof jacket. Had to think about it for a few days...but I'm really wild for these proof jackets so I took the plunge.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:47 PM

To be honest, I'd have snapped that up without a moments hesitation. It could be pricey, I wouldn't know, but simply because it's a proof and would get rarer by the day, I'd want it :)

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:51 PM

I picked up my NDOD proof jacket pretty cheap...but my TWINE one cost an arm and a leg.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:54 PM

Where did you pick this one up? Not eBay I take it.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 10:58 PM

No. Through book dealers online.

And I too would have snapped up the TMWTRT jacket for $92 in a flash had it been radically different, but it sounds like the only significant difference is the absence of the two novelizations. Still, that's what they said about NDOD, so...

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 08:52 PM

So I got the book today and the inclusion of the two novelization covers on the back flap is indeed the only difference between the trade and proof jackets. However, what is interesting is that the pics of the novelizations are not the actual books but the proof jackets and are radically different from the issued jackets. Cool! It's nice to have hard copy evidence of these early designs. Maybe this is why they were removed?

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:12 AM

Hey, I was wrong! The proof jacket is a bit different from the trade in more than just the back flap. When I sat it on the shelf next to my regular UK Tattoo I noticed that on the proof the title, TMWTRT, collides with the bottom of the logo (the "T" in the second "the" is completly obliterated by the red sun logo) while on the trade jacket it's given a nice bit of breathing room and centered. A good change.

(Yes, I realize this sort of thing is only interesting to obsessive book collector like me. :))

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:30 AM

No it's not :) I quite like the idea of proof jackets simply for their rarity and their differences :) If I owned it, I'd be quite interested/thrilled by it too :)

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:44 PM

I'm interested too, ZC. Could you give us a scan for comparison?