A View to a Kill

13 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn

Glenn

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 07:43 PM

When I first moved to Holland many years agon (10 in fact) there was a book shop not far from where I lived that had a Dutch movie tie in novel of the film A View to a Kill. No author's name was on the jacket and the book was foil sealed so I couldn't look inside. Since I didn't speak Dutch back then I didn't buy it, and a few weeks later it was gone. I have never been able to find an English version of this novel. Does anyone know anything about it?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 08:19 PM

So my Bond friend got back to me and the answer is "yes", the "novelization" of AVTAK he has is Dutch and features the Golden Gate Bridge art.

I put "novelization" in quotes because, not being able to read it, we're not sure what it is exactly. My guess is it might be a text only version of the common "The James Bond Storybook" by Judy Alexander, which was released in the US and UK as a sort of children's picture and text tie-in to AVTAK. Still, I'll give it a good look over next time I'm at his place (then I will club him over the head and run off with it).

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 11:17 PM

Wow Zencat. You sound genuinely impressed by them! I must admit, it's the first time I've ever heard of them let alone seen one for sale.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 08:00 PM

Do you remember what the cover art looked like? By any chance was it the blue U.S. poster art with Bond and Stacey standing on a suspension cable of the Golden Gate Bridge?

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 October 2001 - 07:55 PM

I'll tell you right now there was no English language novelization of AVTAK, but there was a Norwegian comic adaptation...could this be what you remember?

There's one other possibility... I've sent an email to a Bond friend who has some sort of foreign language AVTAK "novelization" (which I've been dying to get my hands on!). Not sure if it was Dutch however.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 04:58 PM

Sure do. Bought them back in the day ('85) so I'm not sure how hard they are to find nowadays. But they're worth tracking down as they have some of the best Bond/Roger Moore cover art ever! And they're very nicely illustrated throughout.

Three are based loosely on AVTAK (using characters from the movie in original stories and locations), the last one is a completely original Bond story set in Tahiti. They are called:

1. JAMES BOND IN...WIN, PLACE OR DIE
2. JAMES BOND IN...STRIKE IT DEADLY
3. JAMES BOND IN...PROGRAMMED FOR DANGER
4. JAMES BOND IN...BARRACUDA RUN

(FYI: There are several things in these little books that subsequently appeared in later Bond films.)

#7 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 11:35 PM

[quote]zencat (29 Oct, 2001 04:58 p.m.):
they have some of the best Bond/Roger Moore cover art ever! And they're very nicely illustrated throughout.

1. JAMES BOND IN...WIN, PLACE OR DIE
2. JAMES BOND IN...STRIKE IT DEADLY
3. JAMES BOND IN...PROGRAMMED FOR DANGER
4. JAMES BOND IN...BARRACUDA RUN
quote]

I remeber reading something like that from my local library quite a while ago. I vaguely remeber it but I think the cover had an image of Roger Moore's face over a horse race.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 08:26 AM

4? Really? Do you have any of them Zencat?

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 03:30 AM

Yes, there were 4 "Choose Your Own Adventure" books based on AVTAK...but what I'm talking about (and I'm pretty sure what Glenn saw) is different.

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 01:11 AM

Yup found it on Ebay. It's based on the film AVTAK and is called 'Win, Place or Die'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=1479608480

By R L Stine

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 29 October 2001 - 01:08 AM

It could also be a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' AVTAK. From memory it was written by RL Stein (sp??). I'll see what I can find and post it here. May interest a few people as it's a strange item.

#12 Glenn

Glenn

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 October 2001 - 11:07 AM

If you can get the author's name, and the ISBN number then I can search over here in Holland.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 07:48 PM

Yep, that's the one then!

Unfortunately, I don't own a copy so I don't have it on hand to scan or copy. But next time I go to my friend's I'll inspect it closely. Like I said, I suspect it's the storybook by Judy Alexander.

I'm now on mission to find this for my own collection!

#14 Glenn

Glenn

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 October 2001 - 07:37 PM

Ha, I knew that I wasn't crazy. The copy that I saw had the Golden Gatecover art on it.

If you manage to scan a few pages in (or type them if you have the time) then send them to me and I can let you know what type of story it is, now that I can read Dutch.

My email address is [email protected]