10 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 06:55 AM

I've just been watching a print of Dr No made for the Australian market (and possibly others) in the early 90's. There have been a few strange things I noticed. I wanted to post them because maybe I've just dreamt parts of the film and forgotten others.

Okay to begin with. When Bond stabs the man in the chest on Crab Key the actual stabbing is cut. The part where Bond moves out from the trees moves really slow and then we cut to Honey who holds her hands on her face for a good two seconds and says "Why? Why?" Now I'm pretty darn certain I've seen the guy stabbed in a different print.

Another thing that caught my attention was when Bond was with Miss Taro. I don't know, but I remeber the scene differently. In mine Bond seems to force himself of Miss Taro a little less. There's also a shot of Bond looking at his watch while kissing Taro that I've never noticed before.

Which brings me to, Bond looking at his watch while kissing Sylvia Trench. I remember seeing this in the theatre and having a good laugh about it. It's cut out of this print for some strange reason. This is the one bit of editing that has me completely confused.

Seriously, I think this print was cut by a feminist!

#2 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 10:23 AM

Not sure about that clip, but I've seen the stabbing.

Will have to watch it again.

#3 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 May 2002 - 07:00 AM

Blue Eyes (23 May, 2002 10:39 a.m.):
I'm getting concerned, please tell me that someone else has scene the watch-Trench clip I've referred to?

Yeah, I'm sure I've seen that. ITV in the UK plainly has a selection of different prints of the Bond films, which "throw up" (as t'were) differences. As an example, a few years back, they showed Never Say Never Again (not that good an example) three times in eighteen months a few years back, and each time it was different.

Sounds like the censor went a bit mad in the Miss Taro scene you watched.

#4 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:45 AM

Rolex (23 May, 2002 08:13 a.m.):
Talking about dreaming, i am still convinced that when i first saw OHMSS over 20 years ago i saw a montage of old Bond films super imposed over the picture of the queen in Bonds office. The montage finishes with tipping his whisky flask at the picture.

Obviously Bond wasn't the only one drinking at the time... :)

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:17 AM

That's odd.
I've seen quite afew prints of Dr. No and in none of them does the guard get stabbed. Also every print contains the Taro/Watch scene (it's one of my favourites) but I've never seen it in a Sylvia Trench scene.

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 09:39 AM

I'm getting concerned, please tell me that someone else has scene the watch-Trench clip I've referred to?

#7 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 May 2002 - 07:13 AM

Talking about dreaming, i am still convinced that when i first saw OHMSS over 20 years ago i saw a montage of old Bond films super imposed over the picture of the queen in Bonds office. The montage finishes with tipping his whisky flask at the picture.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 May 2002 - 06:49 AM

Well I know that the scene exists now because Jeff Marshall has it in one of his pieces.

Posted Image

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:06 PM

Blue Eyes (22 May, 2002 07:55 a.m.):
I've just dreamt parts of the film

Someone needs a holiday

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 09:56 PM

Well a print I saw of Dr. No last year on the big screen had the Slyvia Trench watch scene. When she's asking him how soon till he has to leave he starts kissing her (and vice versa), opens one eye, looks at his watch and then carries on kissing.

#11 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:10 PM

Kevin McClory and his cronies to blame?