10 replies to this topic

#1 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:12 PM

What's your favourite Fleming short story and why?

Short stories:
From A View To A Kill
For Your Eyes Only
Quantum Of Solace
Risico
The Hildebrand Rarity
Octopussy
The Property Of A Lady
The Living Daylights
007 In New York

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:31 PM

The Hildebrand Rarity

I think it's the best written, the most interesting, and the most suited to a short story. Also love the great "twist" ending. You go girl!

#3 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:34 PM

The Hildebrand rarity is quite entertaining, especially
Spoiler
, but there's no action and Bond doesn't really do much. It's not really like a Bond story - it's more like a piece of travel writing - good travel writing, but travel writing nonetheless. As a short story it is pretty good but as a Bond short story it a little tedious.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 09:44 PM

You're right, it is like travel writing and maybe that's why I like it so much. I love travel writing and travel books. Paul Theroux is my hero.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 12:44 PM

“The Living Daylights”. The story is pure Bond and a very exciting story. In a way I wish it were longer--to savour it more--but the story stands perfectly as it is.

A close second is “The Hildebrand Rarity”. Wonderful tale. And I disagree about it not really being like a Bond story, it is quite like You Only Live Twice.

#6 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 03:34 PM

The Living Daylights and The Hildebrant Rarity, with Octopussy a close third, I love Fleming's short stories...

#7 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:20 PM

I'm another fan of "The Living Daylights." It's a well-crafted story with a lot of suspense and a good twist at the end. I also like that it reveals a lot about Bond as a character, how he feels about his job, and what he does on his seedier and less glamorous assignments. And did anyone catch the inside joke about a cellist named Amaryllis? You have to know something about the Ian Fleming family to get this one. . .

#8 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:50 PM

I disagree about it not really being like a Bond story

Bond goes on a fishing trip with some disgusting american and ends up covering for his wife who murders him with a fish up the throat - that sounds sooooooo much like an episode in the life of a top class secret agent doesn't it? I don't think so.

#9 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Hardyboy (edited)
And did anyone catch the inside joke about a cellist named Amaryllis?  You have to know something about the Ian Fleming family to get this one. . .

The first I heard of this was after she died and I read an article about her life.

#10 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 10:33 PM

I have to vote for Hildebrand Rarity and Living Daylights as my favorites.

For Your Eyes Only is also very good. The opening murder scene is quite jittery, and the Bond/M scene quite good too. As for the rest, it's a tense waiting game with the journey through the mountains. Judy's wild cannon adds to the pressure, and the final ambivilence is a refreshing take. Only the villians at the end, because Bond never directly confronts them, are a disappointment.

I also really like Quantom of Solace, although it's hardly typical.

#11 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 02:58 AM

Yep, I like For Your Eyes Only, oh and Quantom of Solace, but that's just because it's a good story, nicely paced and grabs the reader, very well written. And Risco