12 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:05 PM

Roger Moore was an interesting kind of guy to play Bond. After seeing all of the Connery Bonds, I was in shock watching Moore as Bond. Was this the same guy? As I got older, I could see the elements that made up Moore were the same kind of things Connery did in a better more suitable fashion. Still, Moore has his fine points as Bond. After watching them on DVD recently again, I got to thinking I need a place to post this. So here I am....and here I go.

1. His Bond was caught trying to attempt re-entry. Many of the naughty one-liners of Bond were in the Moore movies. Sure, Sean had his {ahem} Pussy Galore, but Roger had his XXX and zero-gravity sex. He helped pave the way--for better or worse--Austin Powers.
2. Trying to up Sean in the auto club department, Roger had a car that could go swim with the fishes. He also got to do it with Barbara Bach's XXX. He also slept with her, too...XXX, that is. {read, NOT Vin Diesel}
3. Roger and William Shatner had the same stuntman agreement. That is, whenever they needed a stuntmen, little if any effort was made to find someone who bore any resemblance to the actor in which they were doubling. The James Bond-Captain Kirk connection has been a secret...until now.
4. He shot a Bond villain in the groin. Happily enough, his original one-liner,"Balls-eye, Fishfinger," was deleted from the final print. It's still shocking to see that scene just because it's Roger Moore doing the shooting. One reason he wasn't quite right for the part.
5. Sean had Pussy Galore, but Roger made a game effort when he had Octopussy. It's rumored he and Maud Adams had a fling in her two films as Bond. If so, he's a lucky guy. She's pretty.
6. He gave hope to the AARP with his final Bond. Get paid 5 mil, show up for his close-ups, get a body double, a stunt double, and good make-up, that was it. It didn't quite work.
7.l He made love to Grace Jones...and lived to tell the tale.

#2 Max Zorin007

Max Zorin007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:13 PM

I was watching lald with tom wankiewits commentary and he made some interestig points. such as when solitaire catches bond playing around with the taro cards he is wearing the costume or wutever. he said roger can get away with that because he knows his way round a sopisticated comedy, but it wouldnt look right if sean were wearing it, it woudnt be his style. tom sid he wrote for roger differently to be a fun bond and not such a bastard

#3 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 03:09 PM

Considering that Moore had to be dragged kicking and screaming just to kick the car off the cliff in For Your Eyes Only, it's probably best they just go ahead and write for the actor's personality rather than force it on him. It's still a good scene, but Roger Moore knew what worked best for him. A good example, trying to get Dalton to be like Moore. Dalton wouldn't go for it, because he knows he can't do the one-liners like Moore could, and vice versa.

#4 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:09 PM

Roger had the raised eyebrow...nuff said.

#5 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 06:04 AM

Yes.. the raised eyebrow was the best :)

I loved in FYEO when he gave the raised eyebrow to the villians car which was chasing him all around the winding roads :)

I also love his acting in AVTAK when he messed with Tippit! I love when he only grabs the unbrella and says "let me help you"!! :)

Roger made love to all the women's minds.. he acted like he "might" marry them & he did respect ALL of them INTO BED! :)

Sean just macho them into bed..

I like that Roger tried something different! I actaully think it makes better movies because the women have a nice role in the Roger 007's..

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:20 PM

There is simply no getting around it....Roger Moore's James Bond movies are the most fun -- and I love them!

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:24 PM

moore was james bond, pure and simple, his movies were fun and entertaining, they did not try a knock you across the head, they were just fun and we dont get that now a days....a real shame if you ask me

#8 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:03 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
moore was james bond, pure and simple, his movies were fun and entertaining, they did not try a knock you across the head, they were just fun and we dont get that now a days....a real shame if you ask me

I totally agree!! :)

I love Roger's Movies for this reason.. I go to the movies to have fun! The Bond Series is the begining of the summer blockbuster.. Sean's a fun and have action.. But Roger's brought that to the next level!!

they must have been huge... because they were NOT affraid to put Roger's Movies in the Summer against huge movies like Return of the Jedi! The LAST Star Wars film ..everyone knew this.. and Cubby wasn't affraid to put Roger's Octopussy 2 weeks after the final installment of star wars.. :)

Sean/Roger's Movies weren't hidden in the fall.. they put them out in July!! ..and other Summer months

:)

Gotta Love Cubby's Guts...

#9 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:33 AM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

I totally agree!! :)

I love Roger's Movies for this reason.. I go to the movies to have fun! The Bond Series is the begining of the summer blockbuster.. Sean's a fun and have action.. But Roger's brought that to the next level!!

they must have been huge... because they were NOT affraid to put Roger's Movies in the Summer against huge movies like Return of the Jedi! The LAST Star Wars film ..everyone knew this.. and Cubby wasn't affraid to put Roger's Octopussy 2 weeks after the final installment of star wars.. :)

Sean/Roger's Movies weren't hidden in the fall.. they put them out in July!! ..and other Summer months  

:)

Gotta Love Cubby's Guts...

u are so right, he was not afraid to take a chance

#10 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 12:47 AM

Another interesting thing, the character of Nick Nack probably would only been as effective as he was opposite Roger Moore's Bond. Even though he's my least favorite villain, I do have to admit that up until the fight on the junk the character works very well.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:02 AM

Personally, I don't like Nick Nack...I think the only scene I like him in is the one at the end -- on the junk (because Roger is playing the scene for laughs).
I miss fun Bond movies....

#12 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:54 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
There is simply no getting around it....Roger Moore's James Bond movies are the most fun -- and I love them!

That's why I love them too! They were definitley the best in terms of humour, and I think hed had a little more sophistication than Sean and some of the others.

#13 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 24 June 2003 - 01:59 AM

he was a gentlemans gentleman, and could always make the bad guys mad with his quick wit... always got the last word and it would tick them off so bad untill they could not see straight lol