6 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

I've been noticing this since I first saw the film: M says "I knew it was too early to poromote you" and 007 awnsers I understand 00s have a very short life expectancy, so your mistake will be short lived.

Its obvious that Bond refers to M's mistake of promoting him to 00, but... Isn't he assuming that is also another mistake of M to understimate him?

#2 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

No, he's implying that he's going to die soon, so she won't have to deal with him for long.

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

Well, Bond's telling her a couple of things. He's telling her he thinks she's wrong in her underestimation of him, but he's also telling her that he's prepared to lay everything on the line in order to prove her wrong, including his life. He's telling her that he's ready to die doing his job.... but there's the even more unspoken but very still clear vow that he's going to go out with all guns blazing when it comes to it.

#4 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

The "so your mistake" directly follows Bond's statement of his understanding--re his short life expectancy. Other theories may be fun to play with, but the his meaning, imo, was crystal clear.

#5 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

The "so your mistake" directly follows Bond's statement of his understanding--re his short life expectancy. Other theories may be fun to play with, but the his meaning, imo, was crystal clear.

I concur. He is a cocky SOB and he is being a bit smart [censored].

#6 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

No, he's implying that he's going to die soon, so she won't have to deal with him for long.

Harmsway says it pretty clear here. In the film, it is clear that our young Bond, who is willing to risk life-n-limb for God-and-Queen, has a full understanding of his position in his life. He is a fresh double-0. All bets are on the table.

#7 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

God and Queen ? I think this Bond doesn't give a toss about God or the Queen. He is doing this job as implied in the novel, because things are going wrong in the world and he is willing to make what he can to put it right. God and Queen doesn't enter in this equation (and in fact, as M says, the dept is somewhat on it's own, they answers to no one, and when they do (as when bond is photographed), M is on a very bad mood, because she doesn't care either.