This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Christopher Nolan needs to direct Bond 23!

80 replies to this topic

#1 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:52 PM

It's a bit obvious that Bond 23 will be released sometime in 2010 (I'm personally hoping for a summer date but it'll probably be fall), and looking at his schedule, it would appear that Christopher Nolan should be avalible to do Bond 23, since it'll be right in between his second and third Batman films. And I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that the only reason why he's not doing 22 is because he's at work on TDK, but he should be avalible for 23. So, who has any objections?

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

And I believe, without a shadow of a doubt, that the only reason why he's not doing 22 is because he's at work on TDK,

And why is that?

#3 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I doubt anyone would have any objections, but would Nolan want to be part of another franchise after 5 years of being part of the Batman thing?

#4 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:19 PM

I'm a great fan of Nolan and really enjoyed Memento, The Prestige and even Batman Begins.
I think he would be provide a really interesting view of Bond's world, not sure what that would be but i'm sure it would be challenging!

#5 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

Nolan rules, no two ways about it. He should be doing Bond and someone of his level of talent it'll happen. He tells a human story like few other, within the context of action film he can make you feel. In the Prestige he showed that he could lead the audience by the nose and show us the answer several times but being so skilled we didnt see it, he built a world that was instantly recognizable but wholly new ... kinda like Batman. He's spectacular ... plus if he stays with the franchise we might get Bale as Bond since he loves working with the same people.

#6 Fro

Fro

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:36 AM

I doubt anyone would have any objections, but would Nolan want to be part of another franchise after 5 years of being part of the Batman thing?

I believe On Her Majesty's Secret Service is one of his favorite movies, so I think he'd spring for it.

#7 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

Christopher Nolan has sais he's a Bond fan (and Bond was infact one of his influences for Batman Begins) and i would LOVE for Nolan to direct Bond 23, however would he want to direct three blockbusters in a row? and besides he'd need to be filming Batman 3 when Bond 23 should be in post-priduction, there would be too much of an overlap i think.

#8 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

What are you guys babbling out a Craig trilogy ? Craig will make 7 bonds, ending up with, for the first time, old Bond movies where Bond will be played as old, as opposed to AVTAK where Moore played against type and age. I don't want a trilogy, I want a complete arc, from first to last, ending up with YOLT.

#9 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

I think it would work (maybe even brilliantly), but I doubt EON wants to get someone who's already directing a major action franchise. There'd be all the comparisons, fear he'd be tired or sapped of any original ideas, etc.

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

Nolan has my support as a future Bond director.

I really don't think he'd ever be a serious contender to direct, given his profile, but it'd be a great prospect.

I'm more than happy to see what Marc Forster will do first.

#11 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

If Forster delivers the goods then don't be surprised if EON tries to get him to stay for 23.

I'm certainly not against Nolan but I believe his profile having done Batman will rule him out. Although who knows.

Someone who I think should be given a shot is David Yates and not on the back of Potter 5.

Anyone who's seen State of Play knows he can helm a cracking thriller, if they could get Paul Abbot to write the script like State, then that could be something real special.

Though I'd like to see Matthew Vaughn given a shot as well, I know he supposedly turned down CR but his treatment of Layer Cake had a Michael Mann quality to it, especially his cinematography around London.

A Bond film with a tense action (not like TWINE) or suspense sequence set in London could be very different but right for Bond.

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

Nolan? Keep that overrated, expensive director away from Bond.

#13 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:25 AM

Nolan? Keep that overrated, expensive director away from Bond.

BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!! :cooltongue: seriously though, i understand if you dont like his work but you could have put it in a more polite way than resorting to the normal internet forum manner of looking down your nose at everything.

#14 Mr Teddy Bear

Mr Teddy Bear

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1154 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

What are you guys babbling out a Craig trilogy ? Craig will make 7 bonds, ending up with, for the first time, old Bond movies where Bond will be played as old, as opposed to AVTAK where Moore played against type and age. I don't want a trilogy, I want a complete arc, from first to last, ending up with YOLT.

And I want a delicatessen made out of stainless steel, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

#15 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well, first off, Craig is only signed on for three films. Second, I think he'll be ready to move on after Bond 23. He is a versatile, serious actor after all. Third, I personally think that 3-4 films is perfect for a Bond actor. The problem with Roger Moore (and Connery to a lesser extent) was that they kept him around way too long. As for what you said about Craig being an older actor and therefore will play an "Old Bond," does anyone really want to see that?

Anyway, that aside, I would be as happy as a pig in you-know-what if Christopher Nolan did Bond 23, but I just don't see that happening for some reason. Yes, he has stated in the past that he is a Bond fan, and that he would be interested in doing a Bond film. However, as others stated, he'll just be coming off the Batman movies and probably won't be up to tackling another blockbuster, franchise film. But maybe later on in his career, as in several years later, he might want to do a 007 movie, but who knows who will be playing Bond by that time.

#16 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Well, first off, Craig is only signed on for three films. Second, I think he'll be ready to move on after Bond 23. He is a versatile, serious actor after all. Third, I personally think that 3-4 films is perfect for a Bond actor. The problem with Roger Moore (and Connery to a lesser extent) was that they kept him around way too long. As for what you said about Craig being an older actor and therefore will play an "Old Bond," does anyone really want to see that?

Personally I would take an Craig equivalent of AVTAK over a normal-aged Brosnan any day! Craig has already proven to be popular with fans and critics, with many already claiming he's the true successor to Connery. Assuming Bonds 22 and 23 do similar business to CR, why would EON want to let that go? I think they'll offer BIG incentives to Craig to stay on, if he makes any Roger Moore-like noises about quitting.
Anyway, back to Nolan, well Bond doesn't need him. He would have been a good catch for DAD, but now its too late, and he's the directorial equivalent of Clive Owen; we know pretty much what his interpretation of Bond will look like without having seen it, and frankly I think there are better talents out there. I like the unpredictability of someone like Marc Forster; he could blow everyone away with B22 and could easily become the new Christopher Nolan, with fanboys on internet forums demanding that he directs the new <insert name of geek franchise/graphic novel adaptation here>. So I'd like to see more out of left field picks like Forster, not another blockbuster franchise's sloppy seconds.

#17 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

I like Nolan a lot, but I do think his style is a bit bleak for James Bond.

#18 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:31 AM

The problem with Roger Moore (and Connery to a lesser extent) was that they kept him around way too long. As for what you said about Craig being an older actor and therefore will play an "Old Bond," does anyone really want to see that?

Yeah, but Craig's nearly a decade younger than Moore was when he started.

He could easily knock out six Bond films before he hits 50.

#19 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:37 PM

Nolan would be great but as someone above stated, already too established to do Bond.

Craig can make as many bond films as he wants. The more the merrier though.

#20 mister-white

mister-white

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

Nolan would be great but as someone above stated, already too established to do Bond.

too established?!? what about Forster, isn't he an academy award nominee? and Mr. Haggis is a pretty big name to get as a screenwriter. I think the idea of getting a lesser known director who's gonna be the Broccolis' puppet is dead, look at where it ended up with DAD. We need big name talent behind the scenes to help Babs and Mickey keep Bond on the right path.

and the whole Batman 3 being in the way, I think Mr. Nolan has made it quite clear that he doesn't want to do more than one Batman at a time, that why he did The Prestige last year, to take a break. Now he can take a "Bat- break" with Bond 23. He could deliever Bond 23 in summer 2010, like May or June, then Batman in July 2011, I even wouldn't mind if Batman were to be pushed back to Christmas 2011.

Edited by mister-white, 18 September 2007 - 10:18 PM.

#21 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

too established?!? what about Forster, isn't he an academy award nominee? and Mr. Haggis is a pretty big name to get as a screenwriter. I think the idea of getting a lesser known director who's gonna be the Broccolis' puppet is dead, look at where it ended up with DAD. We need big name talent behind the scenes to help Babs and Mickey keep Bond on the right path.

I think what he means, or maybe this is what I mean, that Nolan has had that big mainstream breakthrough film with Batman Begins, whereas Forster is in a similar position to Nolan before he did Batman, i.e. regarded as a quality, skilled director, but yet to have a big commercial success.

#22 Robertsmiller

Robertsmiller

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

I even wouldn't mind if Batman were to be pushed back to Christmas 2011.

TDK is going to change that opinion my friend!

#23 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

He could easily knock out six Bond films before he hits 50.

Indeed but more so, he has a babyface so he could probably go on for a lot longer.

Are you serious, Ms Minnie? You think Craig has a babyface?

If anything, I think Craig is at a disadvantage for the aging factor. No complaints about his complexion at all

#24 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

[quote name='Judo chop' post='779776' date='4 October 2007 - 16:26'][quote name='ms minniespinney' post='779768' date='4 October 2007 - 10:23'][quote name='Royal Dalton' post='774040' date='18 September 2007 - 02:31']
He could easily knock out six Bond films before he hits 50.[/quote]
Indeed but more so, he has a babyface so he could probably go on for a lot longer.
[/quote]
Are you serious, Ms Minnie? You think Craig has a babyface?

If anything, I think Craig is at a disadvantage for the aging factor. No complaints about his complexion at all

#25 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

I'm afraid he, being a serious actor's actor and all, will simply become bored in the role. What made his performance is CR so great was that he really gave it his all, and if he sticks around too long I'm sure he'll eventually lose interest and start phoning in his performance the way Connery started doing.

In theory, that particular crisis won't be here until Bond 25. If that's the case, it's a good problem to have, IMO.

Though, you would think a 'serious' actor should remain 'serious' about acting.

#26 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yes he does look rough, but there's a difference between that and old. He looks like he's lived but he's still youthful, it's the face of a man of action and I think it'll age well. As for him eventually not giving it his all, we'll have to wait and see, but considering Bond pays him well enough to do whatever film he wishes I think that's passion enough.

#27 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:42 PM

As for him eventually not giving it his all, we'll have to wait and see, but considering Bond pays him well enough to do whatever film he wishes I think that's passion enough.

Yeah, well, we'll see. Don't get me wrong, I love Craig as Bond, and if he can deliver the goods for five or six movies, then bring it on. But, I just don't want to see him burn out on the role.

#28 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

As for him eventually not giving it his all, we'll have to wait and see, but considering Bond pays him well enough to do whatever film he wishes I think that's passion enough.

Yeah, well, we'll see. Don't get me wrong, I love Craig as Bond, and if he can deliver the goods for five or six movies, then bring it on. But, I just don't want to see him burn out on the role.

Neither do I. I think DC has a little while left on his shelf life.

#29 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

Yes he does look rough, but there's a difference between that and old. He looks like he's lived but he's still youthful, it's the face of a man of action and I think it'll age well. As for him eventually not giving it his all, we'll have to wait and see, but considering Bond pays him well enough to do whatever film he wishes I think that's passion enough.

Definitely agree on the face - he will be fine and won

#30 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

Connery was a great Bond in his earlier movies, but when I saw him in NSNA, I was thinking, "Okay, come on now. Give it up already."

I've always thought NSNA Connery looked much better than the heavyset Bond in DAF.