Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

Remember those rumours?

Settlement Reached In Travolta Family ID Theft

Travolta Family Entertainment announces that it has reached a settlement with twelve individuals claiming responsibility for a series of Internet pranks focused on Travolta family member Rikki Lee Travolta, which took place between 1996 and 2007.

Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA (1888PressRelease) June 26, 2007 - Travolta Family Entertainment announces that it has reached a settlement with twelve individuals claiming responsibility for a series of Internet pranks focused on Travolta family member Rikki Lee Travolta, which took place between 1996 and 2007.

Similar to the Internet-spread Chuck Norris jokes that have spread rabidly in recent years, the perpetrators of the Travolta pranks utilized the World Wide Web to start a series of random rumors about the actor. The perpetrators range in location from the United States, Canada, Japan, and the United Kingdom.

In 2002, the perpetrators successfully convinced the New York Post to run an article alleging Rikki Lee Travolta was a Computer Generated Image (CGI) creation of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. Other rumors started by the perpetrators include that Travolta turned down the role of James Bond; that Travolta is really a banker/karaoke singer from Phoenix, a community theater actor from Portland, OR, a female, and a Club DJ from Canada; that Travolta is 10 years younger than his real age (31); that Travolta was set to be a cast member on the reality series "The Surreal Life"; that Travolta would star on film in "Grease 3"; and that Travolta had been signed to play the comic book character Thor in a film of the same name.

In actuality Travolta has stayed away from Hollywood for the past several years outside of a few cameo film roles, raising his 2 year old son as a single father, publishing his first fiction novel, "My Fractured Life" in 2002 and supervising a re-issue in 2004. His first novel was named an Amazon Top 10 recommendation. A second novel. "Messy Jesse and Big Daddy Cool", is in the works. Travolta continues to appear throughout the U.S. on stage in the title role in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" for which he shares Top Three world wide popularity ranking with Donny Osmond and Patrick Cassidy based on ticket sales and marquee name value. In 2003 he became the first member of the Travolta family to appear as Danny Zuko in "Grease" when he guest starred in four performances to raise money to fund fine arts programs for the underprivileged. He was the first celebrity guest star in the "Tony n' Tina's Wedding" stage franchise, reviving ticket sales with appearances around the U.S. and Canada.

During the period the perpetrators spread their Internet rumors, Travolta was also the victim of Identity Theft. The settlement does not affect civil suit or criminal charges that may be facing those responsible for the ID theft.

As a part of the settlement, the perpetrators will pay for the hosting of an Internet domain by September 2007 and be responsible for ensuring that it contains accurate content on the stage actor. A stipulation prevents any perpetrator to publicly or personally discuss their actions or in any other way seek profit from their deeds. Full terms of the settlement are not being revealed at this time.

http://www.1888press...-z38fo0w15.html

With thanks to 'dan.'

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:31 AM

LMAO. I guess that explains the Bond rumors. He always was one of the more "WTF?" candidates.

#3 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:39 AM

:cooltongue:

#4 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:13 AM

This is John's son?

#5 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

I'm sorry to hear about his identity being stolen, but...in a way, it's reassuring to know he wasn't really in the running. :cooltongue:

Sorry, sorry...

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

This is John's son?

No, not his son, but I believe there is some confusion over how they're related and whether they actually are.

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

In 2003 he became the first member of the Travolta family to appear as Danny Zuko in "Grease" when he guest starred in four performances to raise money to fund fine arts programs for the underprivileged.

Erm...didn't a certain other member of the Travolta family previously appear as Danny Zuko in Grease?

#8 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:53 AM

This is John's son?

No, not his son, but I believe there is some confusion over how they're related and whether they actually are.

They are quite clearly related somehow, just look at the bloke. It's quite spooky how he has that Travolta look.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have to admit that I did believe the "Travolta for Bond?" rumours, at least insofar as I found it perfectly credible that he was among the many, many actors who were considered in some way or another.

There was a CBn main page article a few months back, called, I think, "The Men Who Would Be Bond", which listed some of the actors who were looked at - not merely rumoured, but definitely considered by the Bond people, to whatever degree. Some of the names on the list were astounding and would have made Craig's hiring seem only very mildly controversial.

For instance, a German actor by the name of Ingo Rademacher was under consideration at one point. Not particularly serious consideration, perhaps, but consideration nonetheless. Judging by some of his pics, he looks a little like Rikki Lee Travolta:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005332/

So if a blond German by the frankly unBondactorish name of Ingo Rademacher was looked at, why on earth not a blond American by the similarly mould-breaking-for-a-007-thesp handle of Rikki Lee Travolta?

By no means am I trying to argue the case for Travolta as Bond (although I do admit that I'd find it very amusing to see the credit: "ALBERT R. BROCCOLI'S EON PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS RIKKI LEE TRAVOLTA AS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN...."), and neither am I saying that I think he was a real candidate. Evidently, he never was. However, what I am trying to point out is that, given some of the actors the Bond people did look at, it would hardly have been beyond the realms of possibility (as many Bond fans seem to feel) for them to consider Travolta as well.

BTW, the Rikki Lee Travolta rumours got Chinese whispered, with The Sun claiming at one stage that John Travolta had been the filmmakers' first choice for Bond! :cooltongue: Now, that's ridiculous. Rikki Lee, though.... not so ridiculous.