15 replies to this topic

#1 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:20 PM

If I'm not wrong, I believe Samantha Bond has been quoted as saying she will quit the Bond films when Brosnan does, if this is so, who do you think would make a good Moneypenny?
Personally, I believe Sam Bond is perfectly cast as the secretary to M, but if the worst does happen, who would make a fitting replacement?

I'll post my ideas once this thread has had a few posts.

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:26 PM

I've always though Rachel Weisz would make a good Moneypenny.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 August 2002 - 11:54 PM

That's a really good suggestion Paul! Very clever. The voice is perfect, the looks are great. Great suggestion! But the question really is, would she take the role? Personally, I doubt it. She's getting major roles at the moment (great role in About A Boy which opened down under recently).

#4 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 August 2002 - 08:42 PM

That is a very good suggestion PaulZ, just seen the pic you sent me. I don't like the idea of Sam Bond quitting, how can you quit with a name like that! lol, well, she is a very good modern Penny, and it will be sad to see her go, even if she is English, and I have always thought of MP as being American, I think SB should stay on after Brozzy.

#5 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 05:59 PM

I've seen numerous interviews with Sam Bond, she always makes a point of saying she will "step down" after Brosnan leaves. Personally, I too think this will be a mistake, she's young, and potentially has AT LEAST another half dozen appearances as Moneypenny after Pierce leaves. This would give more consistency to the roles (especially if Judi Dench stays on as "M").

However, if she does go I wouldn't mind seeing Caroline Bliss come back to the role, she didn't play the part long enough in my opinion.

#6 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 10:57 PM

I haven't been all that impressed with Samantha Bond. She's supposed to be a sexy secretary(like early Lois Maxwell), but I've never gotten that vibe from Bond.
And although she's only saying the lines she's given, SB's Moneypenny is tastless (eg the cigar in TWINE "I know just where to put that", all the "foreign tongue" referneces in TND, etc), although she did have a good moment of jealousy for Molly Warmflash in TWINE. WIth her short hair, she doesn't even look sexy.

Anyway, it's basically the same scene over and over again. Lois Maxell's best written scene was in OHMSS because it was more than a joke. But you can't have a similar plot point scene in every movie. The character belongs in the office, not on the missions, and it's hard to give more than an impression.

#7 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 11:05 PM

Sam Bond's MoneyPenny is a woman who has given up on Bond, which explains the cigar and foreign toungue. And actually, after she throws the cigar away in TWINE, she and Bond are about to kiss when M interrupts them, so no, she hasn't lost her touch. And by the sounds of it, she will get sexier in DAD. Ooops, I've prolly offended MGM, oh no:rolleyes::)

#8 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 05:30 PM

Samantha Bond is a good Moneypenny and I'm struggling to think of a replacement for her.

I'd like to see Rachel Shelley (Lagaan, and various other roles on TV and in films) in a Bond movie - She'd make a good Moneypenny, but I'd rather see her as a Bond girl.

I'd also say that Rachel Weisz is a good suggestion. Other than that, I have no idea (unless they go for an unknown).

#9 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 12:25 PM

Rachel Weisz would be excellent but I seriously doubt she'd take it. She recently refused a part in the mummy 3 and doesn't like doing big films that much.

#10 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 06:47 PM

Rachel Weisz turned down Mummy 3 because other than Brendan Fraizer, she's basically the leading character. With Moneypenny, she'd only be required to work a week at the most (depending on big Moneypennys role was in said film). The role itself has never been that big, so she'd have time to make whatever films she wanted to, and still be able to be Miss Moneypenny.

#11 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 08:48 PM

I hope you're right JimmyBond - she'd make a pretty nice Bond girl as well!! :)

#12 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:19 AM

This picture of Weisz shows her looking particularly like a disgruntled Moneypenny.

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:42 AM

To be honest, I think Sam Bond would be stupid leaving when Brosnan does. To me that's just selfish. She's got a few good films left in her yet, maybe even 10! That's quite possibly enough for her to stay with the next two Bonds.
If she leaves after Brosnan's last (6th?) then not only does it wreck continuity, but because a familar face is lost, it will mean that the next film might not be as successful and the audience will need time for the new character to 'grow on them' so to speak.

#14 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:50 AM

Caroline Bliss only had two Bond films but no-one minded too much. Sam Bond will get boring after 1 or 2 more films and probably won't have as much chemistry with someone who's not Brosnan - Lois Maxwell never quite captured the same magic as she did with Sir Sean with Roger, and I think it would probably happen again. I think all Bonds need their own Moneypenny - Conney had Maxwell, Dalton had Bliss and Brosnan has Bond. All of those were great Bonds - the 2nd rate Bonds have borrowed someone elses Moneypenny, and the next Bond should have his very own Moneypenny so he can create his own Bond and not live in the shadows of Brosnan's Bond.

#15 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:14 PM

That's a shame she'll be leaving when Brosnan does. I thought she was quite good as Moneypenny. And that's an interesting idea of all the Bonds having a different Moneypenny, BP. Still, it would have been good to keep her for one more film after Brosnan just to see what she's like with the next actor. You never know, she could be better with the next actor than she was with Brosnan. Anyway, for the next Moneypenny, I'd have to agree with Rachel Weisz being the next 'Penny. I can't really think of anyone else at the moment, so I'll have to ponder over it.

#16 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:47 PM

Weisz would make a great Moneypenny AND a great Bond girl. Hmmmmmmm...decisions, decisions!