Le Chiffre's Nationality

9 replies to this topic

#1 The Arizonan (Agent 000)

The Arizonan (Agent 000)

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:41 AM

What is Le Chiffre's nationality? Is he French? Is he Jewish? I've been wondering about this and I never got around to actually reading the novel.

#2 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:48 AM

What is Le Chiffre's nationality? Is he French? Is he Jewish? I've been wondering about this and I never got around to actually reading the novel.

Neither the book nor the novel specify exactly where Le Chiffre is from.
Personally, in the film, I think he's from Montenegro or Serbia/Croatia. Why would he have the poker game there in particular? And Mathis says that Le Chiffre has been renewing old acquaintances there like the chief of police, so he's got some past connections in that area.

#3 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:00 AM

Since when is Jewish a nationality?

#4 The Arizonan (Agent 000)

The Arizonan (Agent 000)

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:04 AM

In some cases, especially on Wikipedia, it is considered a nationality.

What would last names like Abrams, Cohen, and Levi be considered?

Edited by The Arizonan (Agent 000), 20 June 2007 - 09:05 AM.

#5 whitesox

whitesox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

In the book he's french. In the 2006 movie, he's albanian.

#6 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

In some cases, especially on Wikipedia, it is considered a nationality.

What would last names like Abrams, Cohen, and Levi be considered?

"Jewish" is not a nationality. The term nationality derives from the idea of a nation.

Anyway, Le Chiffre in the movie is indeed thought to be Albanian, although MI6 are not entirely sure.

#7 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

Of course "Jewish" is a nationality. You know, the people from Jewania. Same with the French, who hail from Frence, and the Dutch, who come from Dutland. And don't forget the Muslims, from Muesli.

Just kidding around. But seriously, Wikipedia is not a serious research tool...you'd do well to get your information somewhere else.

#8 The Arizonan (Agent 000)

The Arizonan (Agent 000)

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

And by the way, who exactly was Max Zorin's mother? All I know is that she was in a concentration camp and not everyone in the concentration camps was Jewish.

Edited by The Arizonan (Agent 000), 23 June 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#9 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

Of course "Jewish" is a nationality. You know, the people from Jewania. Same with the French, who hail from Frence, and the Dutch, who come from Dutland. And don't forget the Muslims, from Muesli.

Just kidding around. But seriously, Wikipedia is not a serious research tool...you'd do well to get your information somewhere else.

I have to be honest with you, for an extremely long time in my youth I had NO IDEA where Dutch people came from. I figured maybe there was some little European country named Dutchland or something I never heard about. The term 'French' never threw* me off, since I'm mostly of French descent on my dad's side.

'Jewish' isn't a nationality; waaaay waaaay back on my mother's German side my family was Jewish, I think, but I can't be considered to be of Jewish descent, can I?

*EDIT* I used the wrong form of 'threw'. I'm apparantly still French enough to not have English as my primary language.

Edited by Flash1087, 24 June 2007 - 07:59 AM.

#10 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

*EDIT* I used the wrong form of 'threw'. I'm apparantly still French enough to not have English as my primary language.

I'd tease you about misspelling "apparently," but every time I get snarky and point out someone else's typo, I edn up mkaing oen of my own. :cooltongue: