7 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 04:40 AM

I've been trying to track down a date for The Man With The Red Tattoo as for when it's set. But to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 03:43 PM

Dan -

From Chapter 2 - Assignment: Japan

M speaking to 007

"The Japanese are a little worried about security in this day and age, as we all are. Potential threats to representatives of Western governments are a constant concern since the events of September 2001."

and somewhere, there is a line about the March weather in Japan...or something like that. I'll try to keep digging.

Sooooo, I'll take a stab and say early 2002. Anyone else out there (in here?) have any thoughts?

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 03:52 PM

What did Cubby say about Bond films taking place 5 minutes in the future? That's the way I think of the books. They're taking place tomorrow. So TMWTRT, for me, took place in early Summer, 2002.

Thinking of giving the book a re-read. I really dug it!

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 August 2002 - 03:58 PM

Part of the reason I responded to this thread is that I'm re-reading it myself this week.

I'm just at the fish market with Bond and Reiko....:)

#5 Adolph Gettler

Adolph Gettler

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
Dan -

From Chapter 2 - Assignment: Japan

M speaking to 007

"The Japanese are a little worried about security in this day and age, as we all are. Potential threats to representatives of Western governments are a constant concern since the events of September 2001."

and somewhere, there is a line about the March weather in Japan...or something like that. I'll try to keep digging.

Sooooo, I'll take a stab and say early 2002. Anyone else out there (in here?) have any thoughts?

He also mentioneds in the first chapter it's July.
(no mention of the world cup though ;-} )

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 02:07 AM

So we're looking sometime at July 2002. I'll go through it with a fine tooth comb one day and look for references to the moon, anything at all that could give away the date. Full moons are always a great references as they're easy to track down.

#7 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 09:23 AM

Dude, where'd you get it??? Order from Amazon or something? Its not out on general release in oz yet from memory... Its probably not due till the end of the year... At least us oz fans will get two bensons at once though.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 11:00 PM

If you go to a big retailer like Angus and Robertson, they can order it in for you. You can usually pre-order it much like you do off Amazon.

In Australia we don't have it published, we receive UK first editions. So just head down to a book store and have it ordered :)