Mistake in Benson's book?

1 reply to this topic

#1 bentmol

bentmol

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

I raised my eyebrows when I read (in pages 238-239 of Benson's "Never Dream of Dying") that James Bond fires at the tail of a Porsche that is chasing him and puts several holes in its boot (trunk). The fact is that no Porsche car model has ever had a trunk in its tail! The trunk is in the front in all the rear-engined models and the few front-engined Porsche models ever made (924, 928, 944, 968) are fastbacks with no real trunk. Any way, Porsche stopped making front-engined cars in 1995. This book was published in 2001 and the undated action in it takes place well after 1995, according to the internal evidence in the book. It seems strange that Bond

#2 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

I am not altogether clear whether the cargo area in a hatchback would qualify as a boot or not, as this is something of a matter of semantics. I know that I have personally used that and it's American counterpart, "trunk" to describe the cargo area in hatchback cars I've owned.

Also, technically, at least one Porsche definitely had a boot, and that's the 914, as it was a mid-engine design with storage spaces in the bonnet and boot.

I am not certain whether this same common mid-engine practice is used on the Boxter or not, and I'm not certain whether it was available in 1995.