19 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

In 1965 Kingsley Amis wrote The Book of Bond, or Every Man His Own 007, under pseudonymen "Lt.-Col William ('Bill') Tanner". I have been looking for that one but it's either hard to find or too expensive when I do find it. A rare piece in other word or? As a collector I want to have "all" the books about Bond. But I'm not the collector who has to have the first editions or so but I do want to have them.

Either way, is it worth reading? What do you have to say about the book?

#2 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:09 PM

This is a lovely little book, a favourite of mine. I have it on a stand in the second bathroom and hope that any man who visits and sees it dips in for some tips :cooltongue:.

#3 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:33 PM

It's on my ongoing wish-list; but I too have been unable to find it, at least at an acceptable price, yet.

#4 FLEMINGFAN

FLEMINGFAN

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

E-bay usually has them listed several times. The last one (US hardcover) went for about US$15.00, which is not too bad. The UK paperback can be had for less (there was no US paperback).

The UK hardcover edition is a bit more unique as the dustjacket can be reversed to read "THE BIBLE DESIGNED TO BE READ AS LITERATURE", a ploy to show people that you are not reading about 007.

Written by Kingsley Amis, it is a fun little read that excepts the first 13 books as a guide to how to be 007.

#5 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:37 PM

It is definitely worth having.

While there is nothing revelatory in it, the fact it was written by Kingsley Amis and the amusingness of the conceit make it an entertaining primer on Fleming's Bond.

#6 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:39 PM

It is definitely worth having.

While there is nothing revelatory in it, the fact it was written by Kingsley Amis and the amusingness of the conceit make it an entertaining primer on Fleming's Bond.

Indeed. It's not so much an information or guide to James Bond an an amusing little commentary, distinctly tongue-in-cheek in tone.

#7 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

I don't think I have this one, or even heard of it. Of course I don't really need it either.

#8 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:54 PM

See further details here http://www.bondian.c...s/20485176.html

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

Might be worth having a look at... although I'd prefer a hard cover for my collection.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

I occasionally see the US hardback edition on eBay usually around $20.

#11 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:01 PM

I guess I set up for us competing for this one on Ebay in the future :cooltongue:
May the best men win...

#12 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:17 AM

Indeed... working on it right now :cooltongue:

#13 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

Well, my search is over! Found it and won it on Ebay without any competion. It's only a paperback edition from Pan but anyway. $4 was a resonably price for me. It's a pity the shipping cost is so high :D but at least it's mine now!

Posted Image

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:23 PM

Well, my search is over! Found it and won it on Ebay without any competion. It's only a paperback edition from Pan but anyway. $4 was a resonably price for me. It's a pity the shipping cost is so high :D but at least it's mine now!

Posted Image

Nice find nonetheless, Mr Twilight. Rarely come across that one, myself.

#15 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just bought a '65 hardcopy today in a second-hand bookstore for just 5 Euro! On my way home I googled it and learned that this book is getting rare and also who the author is. It's quite fun to read and a nice addition to my collection. Good to see this charming little book has it's own thread! So if you stumble on a copy don't hesitate to buy!

Edited by The ides of Mark, 13 January 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#16 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm trying to find this now for some time, alas to no avail. It's really a collector's item now.

#17 The ides of Mark

The ides of Mark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, you might get lucky! At least you know what to look for. I wonder how many copies were made at the time.

Here's the link to the wikipedia page. You can 'like' it on facebook and maybe get in touch with someone who knows where to find a reasonable priced copy. Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia....he_Book_of_Bond

#18 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

I bought my copy back in the day for the astronomical retail price of $2.50. Amusingly, it contains this little bit on how to look like Bond: "Hair. Must be black. If yours isn't, dye it." As it turns out, however, that really wasn't such an essential requisite after all.

#19 Revelator

Revelator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

I obtained a used copy a while back (it can be had for an affordable price if you look long enough). This is one Bond book that should definitely be in print. As a matter of fact, it should be distributed to every screenwriter and director working on a Bond movie, because it is a handy manual of Fleming's vision of the character. Anyone writing a scene for Bond 24 or whatever number we're at now can turn to it if he's wondering what would Bond wear during this scene or what he should be drinking.

#20 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Got one years ago for a dollar or two.

What I didn't bother getting was the recently-published paperback "My Name Is Bond" (by Ian Fleming), which was pretty much the same thing - a list of attributes, tastes and product placement in the form of excerpts culled from the original novels and short stories. It added nothing new, and lacked Amis' wit and prose.

Especially entertaining for someone approaching my age is Amis' segment on how to live the 'M' lifestyle. Instead of trying to become an aging hipster doofus, I have a guide for settling into dignified curmudgeonhood.