72 replies to this topic

#31 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

I wonder how IFP will deal with the events of Moneypenny 3 in the timeline of Devil May Care; after all, if Moneypenny 3 has both Bond and M out of MI6 by 1965, how will that sit with the events of DMC in 1967?

I was wondering that as well. Colonel Sun is also a factor that should be taken into consideration. And what does it mean by "sacked"? Killed?

Sacked is (largely) a British term typically meaning fired though it could be any sort of "dismissal" from a job.

So he could be rehired? Along with her too, I suppose? I mean, how else would you deal with Colonel Sun, Gardner, and Benson?

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

All I know is I really dig the new Moneypenny story icon. Mister Asterix strike again!

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:55 AM

This sounds fantastic.

#34 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

I wonder how IFP will deal with the events of Moneypenny 3 in the timeline of Devil May Care; after all, if Moneypenny 3 has both Bond and M out of MI6 by 1965, how will that sit with the events of DMC in 1967?

I was wondering that as well. Colonel Sun is also a factor that should be taken into consideration. And what does it mean by "sacked"? Killed?

Sacked is (largely) a British term typically meaning fired though it could be any sort of "dismissal" from a job.

So he could be rehired? Along with her too, I suppose? I mean, how else would you deal with Colonel Sun, Gardner, and Benson?

Yes, both Bond and Moneypenny could be rehired, I suppose to fit in with Colonel Sun (I think in this continuity the Gardner and Benson books don't exist).

And, of course, M could "unretire". Hey, maybe he found the events of Colonel Sun just too mcuh for him (hang on, though, we're they meant to take place at the end of summer 1965...).

No, clearly both Bond and Moneypenny will have been rehired by DMC - and Faulks will do Weinberg/Westbrook a favour by having a new, non-Messery M in DMC. :D

Good old continuity. Good old IFP!

#35 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Honestly, I see every author as being their own continuity based on Fleming and that's IMO probably the best way to look at it.

#36 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

That's the way I look at it as well, K1. I'm not a stickler for continuity, especially when it comes to James Bond. Just keep continuity within your own universe. New actor, new author...hey, change it up in any way you think it makes it better. Bond has never been about continuity.

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:59 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Third and final novel of Samantha Weinberg's trilogy due in May '08

#38 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Cool!

Can't say I like this as much as the Secret Servant art, but I like that they've stayed in this style.

#39 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Can't say I like this as much as the Secret Servant art, but I like that they've stayed in this style.

I agree. This is actually not so good IMO for the lone reason that it was obviously inspired by the 60s film posters. :D The style, the art, all that is fine though.

#40 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

Cool!

Agreed. Moneypenny looks older and unhappy. On The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant she was youthful and perky.

#41 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

Cool!

Agreed. Moneypenny looks older and unhappy. On The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant she was youthful and perky.

But is it Jane Moneypenny?

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Cool!

I like this one, but will agree that The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant paperback cover is better. There's just something so striking about the latter.

#43 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:37 AM

I am not interested in this series, yet. The cover does look quite good though.

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

I am not interested in this series, yet. The cover does look quite good though.

Definitely give The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel a read when you get a chance. Very enjoyable and makes you want to come back for more.

#45 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

Nice cover art, but it doesn't come close to the superb UK paperback for The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant. I think it'd look much better with a solid red background, actually. All that white really makes it look a bit plain (maybe that'll be changed for the paperback release).

Here's hoping Samantha Weinberg's hopes come through to have The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel re-released for the centenary with matching artwork by Stina Persson.

#46 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

I haven't read all the continuation novels, so pardon me if my questions sounds stupid, but won't Final Fling be the first novel picking up right where the Fleming novels ended (after TMWTGG)? It seems to me that other continuation authors have all written stories set in their own time. Maybe Colonel Sun was different?

#47 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:41 PM

Unfortunately, my copies of The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel and The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant are back in Australia, so I can't verify this, but could it be possible that...

Spoiler

#48 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Unfortunately, my copies of The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel and The Moneypenny Diaries: Secret Servant are back in Australia, so I can't verify this, but could it be possible that...

Spoiler

Well, who knows (apart from The Diarist :tup:)? Everything's possible, but
Spoiler

#49 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

Now shipping...

Samantha Weinberg's spin-off trilogy is complete

#50 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Already ordered mine. Looking forward to reading it.

By the way, anyone know if Samantha Weinberg will do one final Moneypenny/007 short story or is Final Fling the only remaining thing we can expect from her?

#51 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

By the way, anyone know if Samantha Weinberg will do one final Moneypenny/007 short story or is Final Fling the only remaining thing we can expect from her?

Who knows?

But here's hoping the The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling paperback contains the previous two short stories!

#52 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:47 AM

Who knows?

But here's hoping the The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling paperback contains the previous two short stories!

I'll second that.

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:33 AM

Got mine ordered. :tup:

And I'd definitely love more short stories. Her first two are definitely short, but good Bondian/Moneypenny fun.

#54 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

Got mine yesterday.

Starts with Moneypenny being sent to Jamaica as acting Head of Station over Goodnight, replacing Commander Ross (see TMWTGG).

Thinks she's been "got out of the way" from London...

Doesn't sound much like Fleming, but what the hell?

#55 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well, I guess you start deviating from Fleming as soon as you come up with the concept of a series of Moneypenny books. Or a Young Bond saga.

#56 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

Well, I guess you start deviating from Fleming as soon as you come up with the concept of a series of Moneypenny books. Or a Young Bond saga.

True.

And possibly Gardner and Benson deviate equally as much.

#57 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Finished the book last night.

While I have been a critic of much of the continuity shifts from Fleming, this is quite easily the best piece of writing in the Bond universe since Colonel Sun (okay, honourably equal to Pearson's bio, Wood's Spy and Licence Renewed).

Okay, the twists are very easy to spot and the denouement - hopefully - intentionally transparent, but then weren't even the conclusions of the Flemings (with a few notable excpetions)? But getting there is a breathtaking ride and, IMO, Final Fling rightly belongs on the same shelf as the originals.

:tup: :tup: :(

#58 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

Finished the book last night.

While I have been a critic of much of the continuity shifts from Fleming, this is quite easily the best piece of writing in the Bond universe since Colonel Sun (okay, honourably equal to Pearson's bio, Wood's Spy and Licence Renewed).

Okay, the twists are very easy to spot and the denouement - hopefully - intentionally transparent, but then weren't even the conclusions of the Flemings (with a few notable excpetions)? But getting there is a breathtaking ride and, IMO, Final Fling rightly belongs on the same shelf as the originals.

:tup: :tup: :(

Well that's a promising review! :)

Just got my copy in the mail today. Can't wait to get into it tomorrow.

#59 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:46 PM

My Final Fling touched down yesterday. Can't wait to start reading.

#60 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:34 PM

Finally got around to ordering my copy of The Moneypenny Diaries: Final Fling today, but it won't ship until Devil May Care and Hurricane Gold are released. Going to be a long wait!