Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

Two events on 26 and 27 May 2007

I've not seen this mentioned elsewhere on the site and only just heard about it myself.

link

It's in my part of the world so I'm going to try and go. Anyone got any questions for the twosome about CR, the follow up or any of the others they've written (other than "Which one of you two came up with "Yo Mama?")?

#2 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

Yeah i would like to ask "when are you going to be replaced?" :cooltongue:

They clearly redeemed themselves on the screenplay for "CR" after that mess from "DAD", but I think neither of them will ever confirm who put that "yo mama" line in the script. it was all halle's fault of course.

#3 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

http://www.hayfestiv...lue=26-May-2007
Saturday 26 May 07
Event 67 at 19:00
Ken Adam and Christopher Frayling talk to Francine Stock
Featuring:
The pre-eminent cinema Production Designer and his biographer discuss his work from creating the look of the Bond movies and his classic Dr Strangelove sets, to his Oscar-winning work on Barry Lyndon and The Madness of King George.

#4 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:49 PM

I would recommend the Ken Adam Q&A. I went to one in Edinburgh a couple of years back and it was superb. He's got such a detailed, intuitive memory for his cinematic career. Though don't expect to get a question in as he has an ability to talk. Not that he is at all boring, but one question will set him off for hours (in a good way).

Though someone might want to ask why he really never did any Bond films after MOONRAKER. He hinted at why when I asked and his answer was quite interesting (in a veiled way).

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

He hinted at why when I asked and his answer was quite interesting (in a veiled way).

What was his answer, Zorin Industries?

I know that topic is brought up in the biography with Christopher Frayling.

#6 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

On Thursday, 2nd December 1999 Ken Adam was interviewed by film writer and Rector of the Royal College of Art, Christopher Frayling, at The Institute of Education, London as part of the 1999 British Design & Art Direction President's Lectures. This was before they both received knighthoods.

When Adam was asked why he stopped doing Bonds, his pause was pregnant, to the audience's amusement. He stated that he was exhausted after doing Moonraker. He went on to explain that he felt at home making the Bonds with certain people and that the personnel changed after Moonraker. Earlier on, Adam had suggested that the current Bonds are "not larger than life." Adam affirmed, however, that he still watches the series.

The specific intent behind For Your Eyes Only was, in part, to reduce production costs. However, Ken Adam was busy doing Herbert Ross's film adaptation of Dennis Potter's Pennies From Heaven, so could not participate in the film even though he had been asked to do it.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

Seems to defintely sum things up, ACE. :cooltongue:

Now on the CBn main page...

Two events on 26 and 27 May 2007

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:30 AM

Looks like Charlie Higson isn't going to be a Hay this year (he was last year). Bummer.

#9 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:20 AM

I think neither of them will ever confirm who put that "yo mama" line in the script. it was all halle's fault of course.

It's amazing. LALD was filled with African-American actors using African-American slang and no one complains. One actress portraying an African-American character in DAD uses ONE form of black slang and the world complains about it. Why? What is the problem with one black actress using a slang term in one lousy scene? Why are so many of you up in arms about it? Do you believe that because Jinx was the only African-American character in DAD, she should have sound and behave like a white American?

Edited by LadySylvia, 21 May 2007 - 05:21 AM.

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:30 AM

I think neither of them will ever confirm who put that "yo mama" line in the script. it was all halle's fault of course.

It's amazing. LALD was filled with African-American actors using African-American slang and no one complains. One actress portraying an African-American character in DAD uses ONE form of black slang and the world complains about it. Why? What is the problem with one black actress using a slang term in one lousy scene? Why are so many of you up in arms about it? Do you believe that because Jinx was the only African-American character in DAD, she should have sound and behave like a white American?

Nope.

It isn't a funny line, given that it appears to be an attempt at humour, and it stands out as something rather strange to say in context.

Reading this thread back and the half-dozen that existed before it, I can't see anyone seeking to make a race point of this, yourself excepted. I was unaware of its connotations - I had not heard the expression before.

#11 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:56 AM

Nope.

It isn't a funny line, given that it appears to be an attempt at humour, and it stands out as something rather strange to say in context.

Reading this thread back and the half-dozen that existed before it, I can't see anyone seeking to make a race point of this, yourself excepted. I was unaware of its connotations - I had not heard the expression before.

It's . . . strange? How does the term "yo mama" coming out of the mouth of an African-American character be strange? Why not say the same about the dialogue spoken by some of the characters in LALD?

Edited by LadySylvia, 21 May 2007 - 05:58 AM.

#12 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

Nope.

It's . . . strange? How does the term "yo mama" coming out of the mouth of an African-American character be strange? Why not say the same about the dialogue spoken by some of the characters in LALD?

I wasn't aware that it was something that was inherently African-American; I took it at face value as a line of dialogue that wasn't very funny. Could have come from anyone and it still wouldn't be funny. Accordingly I believed and believe it to be a strange thing to say as I don't understand why anyone would say it.

#13 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Nope.

I wasn't aware that it was something that was inherently African-American; I took it at face value as a line of dialogue that wasn't very funny. Could have come from anyone and it still wouldn't be funny. Accordingly I believed and believe it to be a strange thing to say as I don't understand why anyone would say it.

Good and especially great dialogue is a matter of timing. The "Yo, mamma" just didn't fit. Nothing to do with race.

Ken Adam is one of my heroes. I want to make a lot of money and have Ken Adam design my house.

#14 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

I think it's just because the actress was BAD.

#15 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

If the actress was BAD, so was the rest of the cast. They were no better than Berry.

Good and especially great dialogue is a matter of timing. The "Yo, mamma" just didn't fit. Nothing to do with race.

So, "Yo Mama" didn't fit in DAD, but some of the slang said in LALD did? I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Does that mean Bond's comment - "You're full of it" - didn't fit in TMWTGG and TLD? Or when he said "piss off" in TLK?

I wasn't aware that it was something that was inherently African-American;

You mean to say that others aside from African-Americans have used the slang - "Yo mama"?

Despite all of the answers I have read, no one has really given a good explanation as to why Halle Berry, of all people, was not allowed to say "Yo mama".

Edited by LadySylvia, 21 May 2007 - 06:09 PM.

#16 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:05 PM

I'm pretty sure "Yo Mama" is an American thing so... I mean the line wasn't laugh out loud funny and I admit it was kinda like, "ok... why did she say that", but Again I blame the writers not Halle Berry.

#17 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

I'm pretty sure "Yo Mama" is an American thing so... I mean the line wasn't laugh out loud funny and I admit it was kinda like, "ok... why did she say that", but Again I blame the writers not Halle Berry.

I've never heard of any other Americans, other than black Americans use that form of slang. And I ask again, why are so many people bothered by that line, wanting to blame either Berry or the writers for allowing it to be spoken in the movie? Other forms of slang - either British or otherwise - have appeared in Bond movies. Why make such a big deal out of "Yo mama"? Every time I ask this question, people either say it was out of place or claim that they are not racist. Why is it that both American black and Southern American white slang was tolerated in LALD? Or why is it that British slang spoken by Bond or other British characters have never been criticized? And yet "yo mama" spoken once by Halle Berry is castigated throughout Bond fandom? Why?

Edited by LadySylvia, 21 May 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#18 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

And I ask again, why are so many people bothered by the line, "Yo mama", wanting to blame either Berry or the writers for allowing to appear in the movie? Other forms of slang - either British or otherwise - have appeared in Bond movies. Why make such a big deal out of "Yo mama"? Every time I ask this question, people either say it was out of place or claim that they are not racist. Why is it that American black and Southern American white slang was tolerated in LALD, or why is it that British slang spoken by Bond or other British characters have never been criticized . . . and yet "yo mama" spoken once by Halle Berry is castigated throughout Bond fandom? Why?

There are posts on this thread that answer the question. Bother to read those.

This thread needs to get back on topic.

#19 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

And I ask again, why are so many people bothered by the line, "Yo mama", wanting to blame either Berry or the writers for allowing to appear in the movie? Other forms of slang - either British or otherwise - have appeared in Bond movies. Why make such a big deal out of "Yo mama"? Every time I ask this question, people either say it was out of place or claim that they are not racist. Why is it that American black and Southern American white slang was tolerated in LALD, or why is it that British slang spoken by Bond or other British characters have never been criticized . . . and yet "yo mama" spoken once by Halle Berry is castigated throughout Bond fandom? Why?

Which threads? Can you point them out?

#20 Stephenson

Stephenson

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

The only problem I have with "Yo mama" was that by 2002 it was a tired catch phrase, no matter who said it. That type of lazy writing is the equivalent of having Frost say, "Talk to the hand," when Bond went to kiss her, or having M say, "The tribe has spoken," when suspending Bond.

Sorry, just read Jim's last post. I retreat.

Edited by Stephenson, 21 May 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

Which threads? Can you point them out?

Do you mean which posts? Read them yourself. You might not believe they answer your question nor like the answers they suggest but the advice is to cope.

A stagnant conversation, not your first, and this thread is going back to the Hay Festival. Sorry.

#22 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

If the actress was BAD, so was the rest of the cast. They were no better than Berry.

So, "Yo Mama" didn't fit in DAD, but some of the slang said in LALD did? I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Does that mean Bond's comment - "You're full of it" - didn't fit in TMWTGG and TLD? Or when he said "piss off" in TLK?

I wasn't aware that it was something that was inherently African-American;

You mean to say that others aside from African-Americans have used the slang - "Yo mama"?

Despite all of the answers I have read, no one has really given a good explanation as to why Halle Berry, of all people, was not allowed to say "Yo mama".

Okay - I'll give it a stab then....

The 'Yo Mamma' line is indeed poorly delivered. But a great deal of Berry's lines are poorly delivered. Now some would say that is the fault of the writers - which I would probably agree with. However, there are other clunking pieces of dialogue delivered with better panache by other cast members which sort of singles out Berry on the bad acting fronts. Toby Stephens had some terrible lines, yet managed to portray his GRAVES fairly adequately.

It's ironic that the only Bond actor to get an Oscar during filming a Bond film should deliver a really ropey, inexperienced performance.

#23 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Do you mean which posts? Read them yourself. You might not believe they answer your question nor like the answers they suggest but the advice is to cope.

All I asked that you point out which threads or "posts" you were referring to . . . and instead you decided to lecture me.

The 'Yo Mamma' line is indeed poorly delivered. But a great deal of Berry's lines are poorly delivered. Now some would say that is the fault of the writers - which I would probably agree with. However, there are other clunking pieces of dialogue delivered with better panache by other cast members which sort of singles out Berry on the bad acting fronts. Toby Stephens had some terrible lines, yet managed to portray his GRAVES fairly adequately.

You're entitled to your opinions, of course. But I just don't share this opinion that Halle Berry's peformance or the writers were at fault. In fact, I see nothing wrong with Berry using the term, "You mama". And the fact that so many people are bothered by an African-American actress briefly using an African-American slang makes me wonder.

Edited by LadySylvia, 22 May 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#24 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

All I asked that you point out which threads or "posts" you were referring to . . . and instead you decided to lecture me.

Yep.

You're entitled to your opinions, of course.

Thank you.

Hay Festival etc. please.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

I would be absolutly shocked if the line "Yo momma" was actually written for Halle Berry. I mean, my God, can you image explain to her why her character says this? "You know, Halle, it's because you're black." It must have been a adlib or a suggestion from Halle. There's just no way P&W would go their on their own.

#26 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

Exactly Zencat. Could not agree more.

With regards to Purvis and Wade at Hay, it sounds like it could be an interesting little talk. Fingers crossed they may drop a few more hints about the direction of BOND 22.

#27 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

So does anyone from CBn live nearby and are they able to go along and provide a report on the days?

It would be cool to hear what they say.

#28 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

So does anyone from CBn live nearby and are they able to go along and provide a report on the days?

I do and I did. Unfortunately all I can tell you is that it sold out.

It has occured to me that announcing a James Bond related event on a James Bond website without first reserving a ticket probably wasn't a particularly smart move.