20 replies to this topic

#1 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Laz's big break from Bond, apparently, was to have been this unknown flick. He financed, co-produced, co-wrote and starred in it for a salary of 100,000 pounds a month, plus 25% of the worldwide profits. The highest salary, at that time, for any UK actor.

The film seems to have been part Bond parody, part Easy Rider takeoff--featuring Germaine Greer as a pot-smoking flower girl and Laz as a well-heeled mercenary hired by African baddies. Jimmi Hendrix was signed on to co-star but died. (Bruce Lee passing on the curse?) The budget was 1,000,000 pounds. According to Wikipedia, the film received a lot of bad press due to blatant depections of sexuality, hippie culture and drug use--even by the actors while filming. (Frankly, it sounds a kindred spirit to James Coburn's President's Analyst.)

I'd never heard of US before and find no reference to it in any video guide.

Anyone know any more about it? I'd especially like to know if Universal Soldier is a riff on Universal Exports!

#2 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

Jimmi Hendrix was signed on to co-star but died. (Bruce Lee passing on the curse?)

Interesting. Those two along with Thelma Todd and Ted Healy can boast about being real victims of the "Licence to Kill" when in heaven. :cooltongue: :angry:

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

All kinds of falsehoods in that article.

And I doubt that Universal Exports had any influence - there were 2 songs by anti-war singers called "Universal Solider" - by Donovan and Buffy Sainte-Marie that were done before the film came out.

The movie is pretty bad. I don't think it ever was released in the U.S.

Lazenby and the people who put up the money for it lost their shirts because the distributor went bankrupt.

And Lazenby had chosen back end participation rather than upfront money from an interveiw I've read.

#4 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

Is Jimi Hendrix's involvement false? What of O'Rahilly?

#5 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

O'Rahilly yes, Hendrix no.

And how could Lazenby be the highest paid actor when the budget was just 1 million?

More lies and half-truths.

#6 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

And how could Lazenby be the highest paid actor when the budget was just 1 million?More lies and half-truths.

I defer, as always, to your Laz expertise. But the Wik-wording, I believe, was "shooting budget" of a million pounds, with Laz's salary on top. I'm not familiar with UK actors' salaries in the late sixties/early seventies. But wouldn't a hundred thousand pounds a month sounds pretty steep to me. If Laz was being paid as producer and writer, he could've stretched that out for a year--about several million bucks? Thanks for your feedback and course-correction!

#7 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I see from IMDB that Derek Marlowe had a hand in the script. I'm a big fan of his novel A DANDY IN ASPIC - also filmed - and he apparently had a bash at THE SPY WHO LOVED ME at some point (as did many many others). Would be interested to see this, anyway.

#8 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

The film is an interesting curio but not very good IMHO.

That Wik site is full of BS. Stuff on the Net is rarely accurately sourced and then gets repeated and cascaded.

One can find the film if one looks for it. Judge for oneself.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

Would be interested to see this, anyway.

Yeah, it sounds like the kind of thing that would be a real treat in a "so bad it's good"/"guilty pleasure" way (with added knowing false nostalgia for the terrible '70s), with maybe a 20-minute or so sequence of genuinely decent filmmaking.* More probably, though, it's just rubbish.

DNS, has Laz made anything worth watching outside of OHMSS, in your opinion?

*I refer you to GAME OF DEATH as a prime example of this kind of "good" bad movie.

#10 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:11 AM

has Laz made anything worth watching outside of OHMSS, in your opinion?

Yes...his daughter...a real estate saleswoman in New York who you can actually find in the phone book.

She is beautiful.

#11 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

has Laz made anything worth watching outside of OHMSS, in your opinion?

Yes...his daughter...a real estate saleswoman in New York who you can actually find in the phone book.

She is beautiful.

Thanks for the tip. Any pix?

#12 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

This film really is a period-piece. All long hair, hippy living and messages of peace.

It probably totally encapsulates where Laz's mind was in 1970: aware of the success of Easy Rider type material, and believing Bond to be stuffy, unhip relic. Basically, misguided. Wonder if his mind might have been, er, effected :cooltongue:

Entertainment wise, yes, it's very easy to cringe. However, that's not a criticism from me: many new big films with big budgets and bug stars can have a similar effect on me.

#13 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

The film is an interesting curio but not very good IMHO.

That Wik site is full of BS. Stuff on the Net is rarely accurately sourced and then gets repeated and cascaded.

One can find the film if one looks for it. Judge for oneself.

where would one have to look for it

#14 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

Found a copy at Hollywood Video and the news is bad: US is a total mess. The vid itself was faded and grainy with muddled, inaudible voices. But any attempt to restore the film would be a waste of time. The shoestring budget wasn't the problem. Easy Rider must've cost far less and yet it had a strong, counter-culteral heart, some excellent performances--and a breakout one from Nicholson. Most of all, it had something to say. US
shares the surface theme: a disenchanted gun seller and mercenary finds himself in the New Age. But there's no action--in fact, nothing much happens at all. The acting is bargain basement. The counter-cultural theme's undeveloped. Mostly, what we have is Laz--looking for the life of him, with his bad [censored] mustache and very long hair, like Vlad the Impaler--demonstrating weapons, walking the London streets alone, sitting in bars and talking about nothing with another mercenary who sounds like Jos Pesci.

Anything good about it? Three reasons for hardcore Laz lovers: 1) He gets to show his acting chops in a couple of quick scenes: an explosive reaction to another mercenary's playfully shooting a dog...his growing contempt for his customers, expressed only with his face...his gleeful decision to stop and be free.
2) Laz gets to show his tender side after setting up house with a young hippie girl. Nice montage as they furnish the place, play with each other, make love. Good to the relaxed Laz bliss out. 3) The only action in the film: the newly pacified Laz chracter Ryker gets wailed on by his little Pesci buddy. A serious, serious pounding--until the old Laz/Ryker erupts in a single, smashing takedown: a blindingly quick low leg scissor twist that snaps the dude's right ankle.

Oh yeah, one other thing: the shirtless Laz is super-ripped. He was in powerful shape at that time. If Bruce Lee hadn't died and they'd worked together...wow.

#15 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:42 AM

His appearance with the Aston-Martin in The Return of The Man From UNCLE, a 1982 TV-movie, was interesting but much too brief.

#16 Krilencu

Krilencu

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

This movie is finally available on the web. PM me if you want to know more.

#17 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:59 AM

Here are three clips.

Rohan O'Railly can be seen at 3:40, long blonde hair, green shirt

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Yes. "Who Saw Her Die?" is a really good Italian mystery movie. Its easy to obtain. I got the DVD for only 15 dollars from Barnes & Noble. "The Man From Hong Kong" is also really good but there's more of Jimmy Wang Yu than George but George makes a good villain.

George stated in an interview that he was going to have Hendrix do the music but Hendrix died before he could do so. Orson Welles was interested in the project but dropped out.

This movie seemed to have potential but it gets bogged down with too much weapons testing, hovercraft driving, music montages.

Edited by THX-007, 16 April 2010 - 04:27 AM.

#18 DTC1977

DTC1977

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hello

This is my first post on this website. It took ages after joining before I could post anything but I'm here now...

I saw Universal Soldier last month, I've written a review of it on the IMDb. It isn't a great film but its strangeness makes it an interesting viewing experience and Lazenby fans should definitely check it out.

Dodge's views on the film are interesting although I can't really agree with his claim that Ryker (Lazenby) gets a serious, serious pounding. He gets punched in the face once and hit on the back with an almost empty briefcase.

I was able to use Google Maps to pinpoint the filming locations of two of the scenes and the day after seeing the film, I went to the two ocations to do some 'then and now' comparison shots. The two scenes I'm talking about are the meeting at the car park where Ryker is holding the guns and also the final scene of the film.

If anyone is interested in seeing these photos please let me know.

I'm not sure how to post the pics onto this forum so any tips on how this is done would be really appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Just out of interest, can anyone tell me the running time for their version of Universal Soldier? Mine was 86 min 40 secs from the opening shot to the end credits fading out. This was shorter than I was expecting the film to be so I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Edited by DTC1977, 24 September 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#19 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm not sure how to post the pics onto this forum so any tips on how this is done would be really appreciated.

Try using photobucket.

#20 DTC1977

DTC1977

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

Thanks!

I've joined photobucket and added the pictures. The albums can be found at:

http://s916.photobuc...ng locations 1/

http://s916.photobuc...ng locations 2/

Enjoy!

#21 Aces High

Aces High

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thanks!

I've joined photobucket and added the pictures. The albums can be found at:

http://s916.photobuc...ng locations 1/

http://s916.photobuc...ng locations 2/

Enjoy!

I must admit 'Universal Soldier' is pretty awful,for for other Lazenby outings I always enjoyed 'The Man From Hong Kong' would be nice to see a remaster DVd of this...also a little known Aussie TV movie he did called 'The Newman Shame' which was quite good,featuring a support from one of the Neighbours regulars.