49 replies to this topic

#31 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks! I love Brian Blessed... he's such a cool guy... and he too is still working... he plays a dual role in Kenneth Branagh's next movie As You Like It which is coming out in August I believe.

#32 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

Good work, Bond87. They're great commentaries. I love the bit where Mike Hodges is bitching about Tim. I think they got on alright, though. :cooltongue:

Brian Blessed and Timothy Dalton went on to work together in the 1984 version of
The Master of Ballantrae.

Yeah, that was event television at the time.

That scene where Michael York 'rises from the grave' scared the crap out of me! :angry:

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:07 PM

[quote name='bond87' post='738041' date='13 May 2007 - 08:32']Here is Blessed

#34 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

That Mike Hodges comment ("we're all like children") really hits the spot about what is so great about this movie... watching Flash Gordon is like watching a bunch of kids putting on the best backyard play ever. (Except with grown adults who have a huge budget and a film distributor.) Where you really believe you're making the coolest play or movie ever, except you're actually NOT, but that just doesn't matter (which makes it cool).

It has the spirit of Star Wars, but somehow, more so (in part because it's more cheapo). In any case, the Star Wars movies totally and utterly lost that kind of charm once George Lucas started on his high-minded saga cycle...

Edited by Milovy, 17 May 2007 - 07:13 PM.

#35 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:29 PM

It has the spirit of Star Wars, but somehow, more so (in part because it's more cheapo). In any case, the Star Wars movies totally and utterly lost that kind of charm once George Lucas started on his high-minded saga cycle...

Don't know if it's really true but back when the first Star Wars film hit theaters in '77 (or '78???) I read somewhere that Lucas originally planned to do a Flash Gordon-remake but couldn't get his studio to pay King Features fee for the rights. It was hinted that King Features didn't trust the young George Lucas as director to make a decent version out of the material. Only then did Lucas invent his own SW-universe, it was said. Though I haven't heard that particular story again I find many references to FG in the old Star Wars trilogy.

#36 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:54 PM

I have heard this story about Lucas too.

#37 bond87

bond87

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

Don't know if it's really true but back when the first Star Wars film hit theaters in '77 (or '78???) I read somewhere that Lucas originally planned to do a Flash Gordon-remake but couldn't get his studio to pay King Features fee for the rights. It was hinted that King Features didn't trust the young George Lucas as director to make a decent version out of the material. Only then did Lucas invent his own SW-universe, it was said. Though I haven't heard that particular story again I find many references to FG in the old Star Wars trilogy.

Yeah that is true, it even states in the DVD booklet that Lucas had been planning to make a Flash Gordon movie but when he couldn't due to a number of reasons which I have forgotten! he decided to make Star Wars instead.

#38 quiller

quiller

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

i remember going back to see it twice. ah those long lost summers of childhood!!

#39 StrangleTheCat

StrangleTheCat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:32 PM

Ornella Muti & her lack of costumes.

#40 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hey, I got the Region 2 DVD so I was able to hear Brian Blessed's commentary for myself. Good stuff.

This movie is so damn entertaining.

#41 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:06 AM

Ornella Muti & her lack of costumes.

Man, the sexual references in that film were out of control (Yes I missed them the first time around since I was only 11).

Let's avoid discussion of the test of manhood in Arboria where the kid has to stick his hand in that tree trunk! :cooltongue:

"One degree of separation" from Daniel Craig: George Harris who played "Morty" in LAYER CAKE, played Prince Thun in FLASH GORDON. He was the one who tried to kill Ming when Ming ordered the Prince to commit suicide.

This film is great! I didn't know what "camp" was until I read a review of this film a few years after its release. I still say Peter Wyngarde's Klytus had the coolest voice in Sci-Fi until Laurence Fishburne's Morpheus.

Bring me the bore-wuuuuuuuuuuuuhrms.

#42 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:56 AM

"One degree of separation" from Daniel Craig: George Harris who played "Morty" in LAYER CAKE, played Prince Thun in FLASH GORDON.

Oh my god! I just watched Layer Cake the other day and I could have sworn that guy was familiar (since I just watched Flash Gordon recently too)! Thanks.

#43 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:34 AM

"One degree of separation" from Daniel Craig: George Harris who played "Morty" in LAYER CAKE, played Prince Thun in FLASH GORDON.

Oh my god! I just watched Layer Cake the other day and I could have sworn that guy was familiar (since I just watched Flash Gordon recently too)! Thanks.

He was also "Captain Katanga" in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

Mr. Harris is about to increase his visibility since he'll play an instructor in the new Harry Potter film.

#44 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:02 PM

I'm still looking forward to the next sequel to Flesh Gordon.

One reason I heard that Star Wars never got the Flash Gordon characters was because the copyright holders read the scene set in the canteen and asked, "What's with the aliens playing their noses like instruments?"

#45 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

Quite possibly the best Flash Gordon review ever:

http://www.411mania....lash-Gordon.htm

#46 Stephen Spotswood

Stephen Spotswood

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

Wasn't the same idiot, Lorenzo Semple, to blame for writing the movie Flash Gordon, Never Say Never, and the old Batman show with Adam West?

Dalton was very Erroll Flynn in it as he was in the Rocketeer much later.

I started seeing Dalton as Bond in the Mae West movie Sextette.

#47 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

Idiot? :cooltongue:

#48 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:38 AM

I always loved this movie, and "Flash" by Queen was the first record I bought as a 5 year old!!!!

#49 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:40 AM

Toy company Bif Bang Pow is doing a series of action figures designed by Alex Ross based on the movie. Here's a link to an article interviewing Ross & Jason Lenzi, co-founder of the company. Of interest are 2 drawings Ross does of Dalton as Prince Barin.

Toyfare:Flash Forward

#50 McThing

McThing

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

Flash Gordon lol. I still enjoy watching it even if it does look a little dated now.