4 replies to this topic

#1 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 02:31 PM

In this one, Bond and Mrs. Garrett debate the facts of life....ok, not really.
{If you haven't read The Facts of Death by Raymond Benson, read no further)
I've gone back and started to re-read the Benson Bonds, and they are really quite good. In some parts, you can tell an American is now writing this, but it's still, again, quite good. I loved seeing Bond down in Texas in a Tex-Mex restaurant. It just cracked me up. Bond drinking margaritas? It's here, folks. Anyone who can have Bond in both this setting AND in Greece in the same book, mind you, is one hell of a writer. I also loved the scenes in the sperm bank. Bond's medical history was mindblowing. Anyone else read this? What do you think? For some reason, I keep thinking of Brosnan in this one.

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 03:23 PM

The whole sperm bank sequence is one of my favorite parts of this book. It's just bizarre enough to be in a Bond book. FOD is a terrific read.

#3 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 04:32 PM

Is this a "Re-Read The Facts Of Death" "era" (can't think of a more appropriate word)...I've been re-reading it since last week. Up to Chapter 11 now, just had the FBI raid.

#4 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:41 PM

Tis the week to re-read Bond:)

#5 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 10:16 PM

Bond's investigation of a sperm bank is actually my biggest gripe with the book. I also found myself cringing for the first time while reading a Bond novel when Felix chased the dog around in his wheelchair and when Felix wheeled into the middle of the raid crying out.

I loved the second half when Bond goes to Greece. Hera is a bizarre, twisted villain. Romanos needed something to make him a little more memorable, though I suppose having him believe he is speaking with the gods is pretty bizarre.