Oh yeah, and sorry mr asterix.

#32 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 11:36 PM

Good God, honestly. BondPurist, get used to the idea that some Bond fans don't like Dalton. And if someone wants to like a Dalton film solely for it's score, then that's their choice. If they don't agree with your opinion, that's life. Accept it. If someone says that they imagine Pierce rather than Tim, that's they're choice. As close as Tim is to Fleming, I too imagine Pierce or Sean.

And IrishCrown, please stop trying to provoke him.

Finally, Ian himself was obviously impressed with Sean, hence, the Scottish background.

#33 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 07:59 AM

I was only sticking up for opinions blue eyes, and I really don't know what everyone's problem is - all we did was argue a bit. It was quite friendly. I certainly don't need a lecture about accepting other peoples opinions - just because they have those opinions doesn't mean I have to like it and it certainly doesn't mean I have to stop debating the subject.

#34 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 09:32 AM

Posts like 'That IS ironic. You're SOOO kind.' are not a debate, but a smart :) comment that doesn't add to any debate, but actually subtracts from it. And when that happens, the quality of the thread is reduced.

Debate all you like. I love debate. But I'm yet to see a professional debater come back with tongue in cheek comments. Usually they come back with intelligent answers and facts.

Another post by you defines the perfect different between debate and nothingness;

Our debate was perfectly friendly thankyou - I do believe we have a right to freedom of speech anyway. As for Dalton being a wimp: hardly. He was the only Bond ever to headbutt an enemy, and wasn't immune to be rough with only his enemies - he sends that SAS guard flying when he runs into him at the start of TLD. And what about that punch against Necros on the plane? He picks his spot and WHAM! Necros gets sent flying. Anyway, Dalton's strength as Bond lies not in his fighting ability or otherwise, but in his acting and his closeness to Fleming's Bond.Anyway- Dalton did what it said in the script, and if the script instructed that he not win every fight without a hitch and be some sort of invincible super heroe then so be it. Anyway, the TLD script was originally written for MOORE. So there. Tim is not a wimp, and could certainly beat up Lazenby.

Hope that explains to you what I mean. I'm not against debate.

#35 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 01:50 PM

You could actually make a good case for Pierce being the literary Bond. In the late 80s on several of the books, many people thought Pierce himself had posed for the pictures on the front. He denies it, but take a look at those shadows and see who they look like.

#36 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:49 PM

When you quoted me in your last post blue eyes, most of that was part of a perfectly fine debate. How is:

As for Dalton being a wimp: hardly. He was the only Bond ever to headbutt an enemy, and wasn't immune to be rough with only his enemies - he sends that SAS guard flying when he runs into him at the start of TLD. And what about that punch against Necros on the plane? He picks his spot and WHAM! Necros gets sent flying. Anyway, Dalton's strength as Bond lies not in his fighting ability or otherwise, but in his acting and his closeness to Fleming's Bond.Anyway- Dalton did what it said in the script, and if the script instructed that he not win every fight without a hitch and be some sort of invincible super heroe then so be it. Anyway, the TLD script was originally written for MOORE. So there. Tim is not a wimp, and could certainly beat up Lazenby.

not debate? I didn't feel that there was anything wrong with that. Now you're just picking on me.
To answer Irishcrown's point, I actually agree. Pierce Brosnan is actually close to Fleming's Bond - not as close to Dalton in my humble opinion, but probably second closest. I have enjoyed Pierce's stint as 007.

#37 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:58 PM

Ah, Bondpurist, it's very nice to see you again on these boards this fine morning. Thank you for saying something nice about my posting. It's very kind of you.

#38 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 06:11 PM

That's quite all right Irishcrown.

#39 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:12 PM

A moment of civility on this one. I am going to have to save this for posterity.

#40 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:17 PM

I can be quite civil when we're not talking about Timothy Dalton.

#41 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:19 PM

Why be so uncivil at all talking about someone such as Tim Dalton? He's not the President, he's not the Virgin Mary. He's a flesh and blood human being. What have you got at stake making such a feverish defense of someone who's only an actor?

#42 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:21 PM

I can't stand losing arguments, and to give you an inch on the Dalton argument would dent my pride almost irreversibly.

#43 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:25 PM

Your pride? Who's going to know? Are any of your family on this board? Any neighbors? Who stands to lose any kind of argument here? Is there any kind of scientific evidence that proves one way or the other Tim Dalton was the ideal James Bond? No, there isn't. It's all opinion, which you and I have in great amounts. I can keep typing back and forth here for a bit longer before I have to go back to college and do something meaningful. After that you can argue with the next person, because there are more of us that feel the way I do.

#44 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:28 PM

Very philosophical. I'm talking about pride in itself and not as a means to another end or the means to an undesired end. I'm quite aware that no one can prove Dalton's superiority, but I have to defend him against his critics, i.e. you.

#45 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:30 PM

Why do you have to defend him? I believe Mr. Dalton is quite capable in doing so himself. If he were overly concerned about what people think of him on the net, he has his own website where he can set the record straight.

#46 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:35 PM

But he can't defend himself here! That is for others to do, and I am one of those others.

#47 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:36 PM

No offense to this board and the site, but what does Dalton care about what people think of him? Doesn't he have more important things to do? Like a stage career? Learning his lines? Avoiding "selling-out"?

#48 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:40 PM

Perhaps he doesn't care, but I do, and so must defend him!

#49 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:41 PM

I have this mental picture of you sleeping on Tim Dalton sheets, looking at Dalton wall paper, and trying to talk with a Welsh accent. I hope Dalton doesn't ever make you angry with anything he does, with your feelings the way they are, he'd better look out!

#50 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:44 PM

Not a chance. I am only really a big, big fan of his Bond work, although his other work is still rather good, especially Jane Eyre.

#51 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:46 PM

Wasn't he such a master thespian in Flesh Gordon? I mean, he brought such depth to the part. Only Dalton could have made the part work!

#52 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:51 PM

Yeah, well..........perhaps FG was a tiny bit of a mistake.

#53 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:53 PM

Hold on, let me copy that one off. Okay, I got the part about FG being a tiny little mistake. Very good, we're making progress. Just to make you feel better, I will throw a Connery film into that same pile. I will submit Zardoz.

#54 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:55 PM

No man is perfect, not even Dalton, although he comes damn close. I've never seen Zardoz. What's that like?

#55 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 08:57 PM

John Boorman wrote and directed this sci-fi movie in 1974 where Connery runs around in a loincloth with a pistol and bandoliers taking on a group of people in the 23rd century who want to live as mortals. You would love it.

#56 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:09 PM

Do I detect some sarcasm there? I think I must. It sounds awful.

#57 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 09:11 PM

It is awful, one of Connery's skeletons he has in the closet.