10 replies to this topic

#1 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

Every single day I'm thinking about an James Bond Game like GTA. You got a map with all your informations, secret places, car shops (for unlocked Bond cars), fashion stores (special suits) on it.

If you want to start a new mission you have to drive to the MI6 or other contacts (Felix Leiter, Wade,...) and take a short briefing.

What do you think about such a game?

#2 JB007YH

JB007YH

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

That is the best idea ever! My top two favorite videogames are goldeneye and GTA and if the two are combined its gonna be sick.

#3 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

Thanks!

We should hope that Activision would create that Bond game. My title for the game would be "James Bond 007: Ultimate Secret Agent"

#4 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

[mra]I don

#5 Nimsworth

Nimsworth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:20 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm sick of the whole "Grab a movie franchise and use the GTA engine". Scarface, Godfather, Spiderman, The Simpsons... But then again I had a great time playing the aforementioned games.

Still smacks of lazy developing though. I'd like to see how a 007 game on the Wii would go.

#6 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

The storyline would be the greatest ever in videogames history: From Dr. No to Bond 22. It takes place in Great Britain and in special missions you have to travel to the locations of the films. You couldn't shooting around like in GTA, because you're an agent and you get your whole equipment only, when you got an mission.

What are your ideas?

#7 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

I dunno. I don't think a Bond free-roaming game would work, I would want my secret agent to still have a structured level style.

Half the point of making a free-roaming game is so the player can feel free to kick the snot out of anybody walking on the street (i.e. GTA, Narc, True Crime). The only reason Scarface works is because you're Tony Montana and he's awesome.

There are some parts of Bond's life that aren't in the films or novels that we just don't need to know about or experience.

-Bond sitting in traffic during rush hour.
-Bond arguing with British Airways about how his luggage went to Bombay.
-Bond driving like a sane person in a car armed and armored enough to take over France.

And if it's mostly about Bond driving around, it's not about Bond anymore, it's about cars. Honestly, I just play GTA so I can drive around like a maniac in a vaccuum to good music.

The "Free roaming" aspect, should however, apply to how Bond does his work. Bond games have always had a set of objectives that Bond has to do, and there was usually only one way to get things done. That has to go.

There need to be parts of the game that are played however the player wants to do them. Without going out of character, Bond should be able to be as subtle or as brute as the player wants him to be. If Bond fails an important objective, or does one thing and not another, the story changes and arcs in a different direction.

Of course, this would result in multiple endings, but aren't games supposed to have those?

So yes, Bond games should be more open-ended, but not GTA-clone open-ended.

#8 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

You're right, there should be a straight storyline and no traffic or whatelse, so it's better to play a game with levels like all other Bond games.

#9 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Of course, this would result in multiple endings, but aren't games supposed to have those?

Dead Rising had six Alternate Endings! i love how the story would change if you didn't complete a certain objective.

#10 mrsbonds_ppk

mrsbonds_ppk

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1297 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:37 PM

That would be the ultimate Bond gaming exprience. Freedom. You could Fly to different locations, Drive anywhere. I would love that.

#11 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

From time to time you get some special missions to unlock new cars like the DB5, Lotus,... or outfits! It would be awesome if someone would create such a project.

When you fail in one of your missions maybe the story could chnage.

What are your ideas?