This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Am I weird for not liking LOTR and Harry Potter?

87 replies to this topic

#61 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

You absolutely should. Damned good film.

#62 Agent 0015

Agent 0015

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:50 PM

It's your choice if you don't like it. I used to be a LOTR fan in middle school but I tired of it.

#63 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:56 PM

It's your choice if you don't like it. I used to be a LOTR fan in middle school but I tired of it.

Ah, interesting. Well, maybe they are for kids, in which case I am far too old for them...:D

#64 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:18 AM

You absolutely should. Damned good film.

I have done now, and I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to The Dark Knight now. But I still can't sit through a Potter or LOTR again.

#65 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

I don't like LOTR or Harry Potter either. Although I've watched the trilogy of LOTR (not because I was a fun, just because i was curious) I don't want to see even the poster of these films since then!
When I was younger, I used to read Harry Potter books. I read till half of the fifth book and then... got bored of this magic bull[censored]! I'd also watched the two first films, but I didn't continue doing so!

#66 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

As a huge fan of both, let me chime in for a second and say: yes, you are nuts!

:tup:

#67 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

Many of these misguided folks are wrong. You are weird if you do like these two enchanted fairy tales.

#68 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:19 PM

I've only seen the first Harry Potter film and that was when it was in theaters. I hate the fantasy genre so I'll never ever watch these films no matter how many Oscars or acclaim they have.

#69 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

Seen 'em. Just never put the hook in me.

I don't think they're bad, just not my cup of tea.

People have said the same of Bond.

To each their own.

#70 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:39 AM

Somebody recently asked me if I would rather watch this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106438/
than LOTR.

I said yes (and I mean it).

#71 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Yes. You are weird. I absolutely and religiously follow these series.

"I" only missed the 2nd movie from the LOTR trilogy. The only movie in the series I didn't see in the cinema. LOTR is good, but also little meh.

Harry Potter--- I see every Harry Potter movie. Only years after they're released. That is when they show them on teli.

So, yes. You should be ashamed of not liking those two excellent movie series. :not_talking:

#72 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:46 AM

Here, Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf) explains the fine art of acting:-

(from BBC comedy, Extras)...:tup:

#73 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

I perfectly understand not liking either becuse they both suck. What is so good about Harry Potter ? Hollow characters with funny names and spells and the public laps it up like cheap booze. The LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy was just a six hour movie split into three with wizards and elves walking aorund to go to a volcano. All of the acting was bland and wooden and all the characters are either annoying or boring. Wow, Chirstopher Lee has a long white beard and makes sure evrything he says sounds really dramatic and dark ! Give that man an oscar !

As for BATMAN: HUSH, well, it's entertaining, but would be immensely confusing to a Batman novice, because of the sheer amount of history and character knowledge it demands.

And even if you do know it, it still dosen't make it that much better. Really, HUSH was just a cut and paste job of old Batman history. Also, I really hate Jim Lee's artwork. He makes everyone look the same, man or women.

Edited by Mister E, 11 August 2008 - 03:44 PM.

#74 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:40 PM

I sometimes feel like I am the only person who hasn't watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies, and the Harry Potter films. I have only seen the first LOTR one.

I also believe I will never watch them. It's the same with the new Spiderman, Batman and Superman movies, the Hulk or any remake of any 70's horror or cop show.

Anyone else with me? Or am I strange?

Cheers...:(

No, you're not weird. Everyone has his or her own tastes in entertainment. If I must be honest, I'm not that fond of THE TWO TOWERS, RETURN OF THE KING and HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE.

#75 Joey Bond

Joey Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:20 PM

I've never seen a LOTR film and I don't plan to. The whole thing just seems too... grand if you know what I mean.

As for Harry Potter, I've seen all the films but only once and I don't really want to see them again. So I'm with you DaveBond.

I remember going to summer writing camp and signing up for "Fantasy/ Science Fiction" class. I was the only one there who was there because of Star Wars, everyone else was there because of LOTR.

I am, however, starting to take in the Batman films after TDK. Plus now that Star Wars is no more (except the new cartoon coming out which I've decided I'm too old for), I need a new franchise to play second fiddle to Bond.

On other franchises/series
Spiderman: First one was okay, the rest got too emotional
Hulk: The Eric Bana one turned me off so much, I never bothered to see the Edward Norton one
Superman: Never really been a fan. Too sci-fi. At least in Star Wars you're in an alternate universe
Star Trek: Always seen it as Star Wars' competitor so I never saw any of them
Bourne: Always seen it as Bond's competitor so I never saw any of them
Mission Impossible: Only fun to watch for the first time
Dr Who: Only watching it coz this girl I'm after is a big fan

Alright, I think I've pissed off just about everyone on this messageboard.

Edited by Joey Bond, 12 August 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#76 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

I sometimes feel like I am the only person who hasn't watched all of the Lord of the Rings movies, and the Harry Potter films. I have only seen the first LOTR one.

I also believe I will never watch them. It's the same with the new Spiderman, Batman and Superman movies, the Hulk or any remake of any 70's horror or cop show.

Cheers... :)

I am with you on Harry Potter, DaveBond21. I have never found out what all the fuss is about with those films, each time I watch one of those films, usually because someone else wishes to see it, and I come out thinking :(
LOTR , I think Fellowship Of The Ring is possibly one of the best films I have seen. But thats just me, and would easily be in my list of 10 films to take to a desert island if I had to choose only 10 films.
Of the others(Superman, Batman, Spiderman) I like most of them. Harry Potter is the only one I really don't get. :)

#77 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

You're not weird! I saw one LOTR movies, the first one, it was okay, didn't change my world. And I saw one HP movie because my sister wanted to see a movie, any movie would do, and again I don't see what the big deal was. I've forgotten the majority of the film.

My dad loves HP, he's 60 and his 62 year old wife got him into the books to begin with. My sisters love LOTR. Me, I like Bond.

As far as the new Superman movie, give me Chris Reeve any day, I have fond memories of going to the theatre and seeing those. And though Superman 3 is regarded as the worst, I have a fondness for it for the sheer fact that it was a big deal because I got to see it without my sisters. My parents took me with them to see the movie, when my sisters were off at different sleepovers, so it is special for that reason alone.

And I still can't get into Batman or The Hulk movies.

#78 john.steed

john.steed

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

Cheers...:(

You are Absolutely Wacko! Actually, not. People simply have different tastes. You probably enjoy quality stuff that passes completely over me.

#79 Piz Gloria 1969

Piz Gloria 1969

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 414 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

I'd rather watch He-Man movie with Dolph Lundgren....I think it's great but many dislike it....the movie took place on Earth cuz of budget , Skeletor and Evil-Lyn in particular did pretty good acting wise....Dolph was never a good actor but neither is the Governator when you think about it :(

Remember that the original He-Man came from a tribe called "he-men" and he was a fella you did not want to mess around with : strong as steel and with almost unlimited energy , very much in the Conan-spirit.

#80 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

I love LOTR, but I understand that the fantasy genre polarizes audiences like no other. It seems it either completely captivates, or it stands completely foreign and unintelligible, and that there are very few viewers whose level of interest lies in the middle ground.

Strand me on a desert island with a DVD player and a TV and only three movies, it’ll be the LOTR trilogy I reach for first. I don’t know which one of us that makes weird though.

#81 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

I have only seen the first LOTR movie, and I found it to be an utter bore. I saw the Stage show in London recently, which was utterly breathtaking. So I was really tempted to check out the first three again, but I havent got round to it yet.

As for Harry Potter, the movies are quite bad compared to the books, I only really go to see them with a hope that they might get better as the movies progress. Which they dont, but it still fills in an afternoon. :(

#82 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

I agree with you about LOTR and HP, but I love the Batman, Spiderman, and Indiana Jones characters almost as much as Bond.

The "fantasy" genre can be great, however, as evidenced by Conan the Barbarian.

#83 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

The Conan films were like nails on a chalkboard to me! Give me Raw Deal any day.

#84 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

There is only one Conan film.

#85 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

There is only one Conan film.

By Crom, this man speaks the truth.

#86 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:09 AM

I agree with you about LOTR and HP, but I love the Batman, Spiderman, and Indiana Jones characters almost as much as Bond.

The "fantasy" genre can be great, however, as evidenced by Conan the Barbarian.

I liked the Indiana Jones movies 1-3.

#87 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:45 AM

I thought you did, but I threw him in there as an example of what I do like: movies that focus extensively on the lead. It's a big part of why I don't like the ensemble LOTR, and to a lesser extent HP. Especially in the action/adventure genre, it's almost like I experience the film vicariously through the main character.

#88 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:55 AM

I thought you did, but I threw him in there as an example of what I do like: movies that focus extensively on the lead. It's a big part of why I don't like the ensemble LOTR, and to a lesser extent HP. Especially in the action/adventure genre, it's almost like I experience the film vicariously through the main character.

Good point.