29 replies to this topic

#1 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 11:42 PM

I've heard precious little of her music, but I'm thinking Alicia Keys could be a strong contender for the job. From my viewpoint, she's like the Carly Simon of the R & B set, a pure singer-songwriter who plays the piano and writes songs with clarity and individuality. I don't know why I make that comparison, perhaps just because fewer singer-songwriters have done Bond themes than just singers. I actually think Keys's voice is kind of non-distinctive, but she's just so musical and bright and talented. Flipping through channels I caught her on Last Call with Carson Daly (I was flipping channels, okay?) and she was able to play on the piano the emotions Carson asked her to play (even horny.) She's attractive, classically trained and eclectic (her appearance on Last Call was quite different from her piece in the 9/11 telethon.) Been meaning to listen to some audio samples of hers but can't load them on my computer at home without a time-consuming update (same thing with various new web videos on DAD.)

Would love for Tom Jones to do another one.

I think in general there's a lack of Bond-caliber singers today. The business is geared toward these bubble gum music acts- Britney and N'Sync- who trade on their looks rather than any discernible talent (though I saw Britney on SNL and she actually did a song standing still, wearing clothes, not dancing and with words that sounded like they meant something, so I applaud the effort. Herr Timberlake has a grating, whiny voice and is beyond help.) Singers aren't singers anymore- they're media personalities. That is what their careers are built on, merchandising and sex appeal, not talent. Great singers of yesterday, like Lou Rawls, Shirley Bassey, Cleo Laine, would be ignored today because the masses seem to have forgotten that music is a SOUND medium, not a sight medium. Still, there are some talented performers out there, mostly they're part of larger acts.

Take a singer like Lou Rawls- he sang music that was popular and current in his heyday, the 60s and 70s, but at the same time he can sing anything, from pop to gospel to jazz to old standards. Same thing with Shirley Bassey, Cleo Laine, Tom Jones, etc. These are singers with a multigenerational appeal, a repertoire that stretches across generations and whose careers survive based on talent, not just trading on looks. Music acts (and they are acts) of today aren't designed to survive more than a few years or appeal to anyone over 30 (I myself am 20, just to let you know.) It is this sort of high-caliber, cross-generational, UNIVERSAL singer that works best with Bond themes, and the music biz just isn't putting out any. Imagine Britney singing Gershwin and you'll see what I mean.

Okay, rant over. Who do you guys favor for future Bond themes?

It's good to be back.

Dave

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:03 AM

Elton John would be near the top of my list (and probably at the very top if he was on peak form). Also Pet Shop Boys, New Order, possibly Oasis.

#3 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 11:43 AM

I think perhaps The Calling could have a go. Their current single is not very Bondish but they could take a different approach.

#4 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:44 PM

My usual list of hopefuls (Pulp, the Divine Comedy) has since been replaced by a single name: DAVID BOWIE.

The release of his most recent album, Heathen, made me come to the realization that he would, hands down, blow us away with his rendition of a James Bond theme song. In fact, considering his place in British music history and his style, I'm stunned he hasn't already recorded one. It was originally planned that he would play Max Zorin in A View To a Kill but, for one reason or another, it never came to be.

I can only imagine how a David Bowie Bond theme would sound or, for that matter, how he would handle an on screen role. I hope, somehow, he catches the eyes and ears of the producers once again.

#5 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 06:00 PM

Think i'd probobly go for Aerosmith. It's time the theme's were a bit rockier.

#6 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 07:55 PM

How about U2? They are a good and varied band who could do a heavy rock song or a slow ballad as well as anything in between.

#7 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:19 PM

Great post, Dave. I especially agree with the appeal of cross-generational, timeless singers like Shirley Bassey. I also agree with the notion that artists who compose and write songs themselves are much more impressive. Which is more than I can say for cardboard-Pepsi-Britney, NSync, or others. Artists who are self-sufficient and multi-talented are most admirable. That's why I have much respect for groups like U2, Pink Floyd, Tom Jones, The Beatles, and others. Might I add that that's a good reason why I believe Madonna is a logical choice to compose the Die Another Day theme. Her image and appeal bridges generations (my own and my 29-year old brother's), and of course she writes and performs songs on her own. Alicia Keys? Maybe. She reminds me of Shirley Bassey - big, brass voice. Tremendous range. Wonderful talent. Definitely a possibility.

As for U2, amen to Bondpurist. Here is a group that could write and compose a modern, contemporary theme for a Bond movie with a sound that would appeal to several generations. In my view, U2's music is timeless, and Bono is a talented songwriter. And I think U2 could produce a song similar in style to Aha's The Living Daylights (which many rate high among the Bond scores overall). But, who knows, maybe the producers believe a smooth, feminine voice has the best "Bond" feel to it? God knows there's been a definite bias towards female singers in the last 20 movies.

Oh well, there's my 2 cents and a little bit more :)

#8 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 12:22 AM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
How about U2? They are a good and varied band who could do a heavy rock song or a slow ballad as well as anything in between.

Indeed, U2 would be quite capable of writing a memorable, strong, and appropriate James Bond theme. I'm positively certain of it... Because, well, they already have! Well, close enough. Although the tune was eventually belted out by Tina Turner, U2's Bono and The Edge composed the theme song GoldenEye. There you have it. You've heard U2's Bond theme without even realizing it.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 01:21 AM

Amen to Bondpurist and Microglobe....U2 shouldn't just write the theme (although, frankly, the Edge and Bono writing a song together does not constitute the whole of U2), they should perform it too!

And amen to Dave...I think Shirley Bassey would do a great job doing another Bond theme....and frankly, given the double value of this one (the twentieth Bond movie, in the Fortieth year), she should have sung the theme to "Die Another Day."

To add to the wish list: Rubixcube's choice...the divine Ms. Keyes, and Loomis' choice, Sir Elton John. Also: Enya, Clannad, Lorena McKennitt, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, or En Vogue.

-- Xenobia

#10 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 01:38 PM

I would like to hear A-Ha again.
But i sure that producers will make surprise

#11 Predator_007

Predator_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 02:12 PM

I'm going to confuse a lot of you, but bear with me ...

First off, love the suggestions of David Bowie and the Divine Comedy MG1, but I fear TDC have 'split' - considering it's really only Neil Hannon, I think he's been on the demon drink again ... could be wrong.

My other favourites would be:

Jeff Buckley (if he hadn't drowned) - a magnificent swooping powerful voice that could nail a good Bond tune, but since he's dead and gone I'll plump for ...

Muse - a really John Barry-influenced band (listen to 'Megalomania' on their last album if you doubt their credentials. Matt Bellamy's voice is simply stunning too)

Will Young (and written by Burt Baccarach) - don't laugh! He has got a fantastic voice, kind of jazzy and soulful and could do a classic orchestrated Bond

The Doves - great (reasonably) new 'indie' band who can write a good melody (this suggestion is a bit left-field, but I'd like to see them do one)

Primal Scream - wouldn't they do a tremendous Bond theme!?!

Nelly Furtado - another weird choice maybe, but I'd just like to hear her 'doing' a Bond theme

Mot really sure about Alicia Keys, her voice (to me) sounds a little bland and formulaic - certainly a fine musician though. And Elton John is almost a little too ... tuneful for a Bond theme!

The bottom line is that I'd like to see Eon take some risks with Bond's music and especially the themes. The Arnold collaboration is pretty good IMO and they just need to push the themes a little more (without resorting to having to bring in the star performer - how much did she cost?)

#12 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 01:01 AM

Poe....Not sure a lot of you heard of her, but her music is really good, really different. Not sure how she'd do with a Bond theme though, but most of her music is very haunting, its like nothing that has ever been done before.

If you want, I would recommend looking her up, and listening to a few of her songs online.

#13 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:41 AM

How about the Rolling Stones? Paul McCartney did one, so why not Mick and the boys? Plus I'd wager that Mick is probably a James Bond fan, given his sex life.

Diana Ross would've been a good choice. Heck, she still could be.

Dave

#14 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 12:51 PM

without a doubt it should be a male singer that can belt tunes out like Tom Jones....hey, why not Tom Jones!

800th post whooohooo!!

#15 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 11:27 PM

Originally posted by MicroGlobe One
My usual list of hopefuls (Pulp, the Divine Comedy) has since been replaced by a single name: DAVID BOWIE.  

I can only imagine how a David Bowie Bond theme would sound or, for that matter, how he would handle an on screen role.  I hope, somehow, he catches the eyes and ears of the producers once again.

I AGREE ENTIRELY!! David Bowie would be perfect: it's time we had a male vocalist, and he'd bring an edge and a new sound to the job.

And while we're on the topic, why not revive the "David Bowie as the Villain" line - it was supposed to happen in AVTAK after all... I think he'd do a great job, and for him to be the villain and the title song singer could be intriguing.

#16 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 12 September 2002 - 11:48 PM

I'd go with either U2 or Sting because U2 can dish out good rock song (Bono voice just rips out at you) and Sting (He's got that perfect crooning voice) could do a soft ballad or something...

Plus I LOVE THEM BOTH!!! :)

#17 Dortmunder

Dortmunder

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 11:59 PM

Although all have been stated already, I'd like to back the choices such as U2, Enya, and Shirley Bassey. For me, U2 has always had a sound that I thought would be good to a Bond movie. As for Enya, I think that her music is great. She is a great Irish singer that I feel could do a lot with a Bond song. And Shirley Bassey, she should come around for another go. She has done three already and should do another one to top it off. I agree that she should have done the title song for Die Another Day. Even though she is getting on in the years, I still think she would be a great choice.

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 01:34 AM

Justin Timberlake...

AUUGH! All right, stop throwing those bottles, I was only kidding. Seriously, Tom Jones would be good. Team him with someone like Moby or Shirley Bassey with someone like Pet Shop Boys. I like them.

#19 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 09:53 AM

I would like the themes to get rockier too. I think the best people to do this, and would have enough passion for the Bond song, would be:

Aerosmith
Bon Jovi (I think this could be a very good choice)
Oasis (I seriously think Liam and Noel could do a wonderful, rocky, style ballad similar to Stop Crying Your Heart Out)
U2 (this I would very much like to hear)

To be honest, if any of those above made a Bond song I think it would be great for Bond. Huge fan base, rock, and very good song writers, with great catchy themes (especially Aerosmith and Bon Jovi). And they don't mind using guitar licks (which the Bond themes have been badly missing).

#20 bondianbelgium

bondianbelgium

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 02:38 PM

I know the singer or group has to be high profile but there's no reason why a local singer/group wouldn't stand a chance. For example in my home country Belgium we have Hooverphonic, an excellent and very respected group which would give the titlesong a different and refreshing sound, no doubt about that. They made the song 'Visions' for the European Footballcup two years ago. I hope you will agree once you listened to the singles 'Eden', 'Jackie Cane', 'Mad About You', '2 Wicky' or the new single 'The World Is Mine'. And if it helps, they are Bondfans!

#21 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 02:47 PM

I'd like to see ASH doing a Bond song.
It's contemporary rock music and they are not afraid of string arrangements. One track of their last album even contained a Bacharach sample. I wonder how an ASH/David Arnold collaboration would work out.

#22 cocklea

cocklea

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:21 AM

:) [sarcasm] You guys are crazy!! The best people to sing bond theme is Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. No other singer is better than this 3 you know!! [/sarcasm] :)

#23 Kara Milovy

Kara Milovy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 05:20 PM

I love the idea of Bowie! He could really do it. Think "Heroes." It's high time for another male vocal as well.

I've said for a long time that I think Counting Crows can do a great job. They have a crooning, soulful quality, but at the same time, they're very edgy and modern.

I'm very much in favor of Fiona Apple doing a Bond song; she has that jazzy, deep sound that would really work.

#24 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 09:03 PM

Maybe Red Flags could do a bond song remember Beyond the Ice it was better than Madonna

#25 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 11:09 PM

U2... works for me.

But also for me, I think we should carry on with the A list artsist (which U2 are) rather than B list (like Alicia, however talentned she is... how ma=ny international number ones has she had?). Kylie is my next choice. Or Robbie Williams or a big supergroup that is still ontop (unlike Aerosmith). It's a very difficult descision for the producers... how do you beat Madonna? And personally from now on we're gonna get big artists wanting to do Bond. Hows about Destiny's Child?

Also... does anyone else think that Madonna will be back someday. I think she'll be like Shirley Bassey... define Brosnan's era musically and be asked back when the series begins to flag or to issue in a new Bond.

#26 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 01:01 PM

i want metallica, they could do a brilliant bond song, and after five female singers in a row we need a man

#27 Stuart

Stuart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 08:49 PM

I agree that Poe would be very good. Also, Portishead would do a great song. 'Sour Times (Nobody Loves Me)' could have easily been a Bond theme song.

Stu

#28 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 12:51 AM

Time for a man to sing the main theme song. But I'd like Madonna to come back and sing a secondary Bond theme for BOND 21, over the closing credits, especially if the film has plot ties to DIE ANOTHER DAY. This time I'd like a more conventional ballad or pop song, like Beautiful Stranger, instead of something radical like her DAD song.

#29 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 15 October 2002 - 03:39 AM

My vote is for U2.

#30 chronicliar

chronicliar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew