#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

In that case, I guess Fry should be announced any time now. :cooltongue:

But remember, the plan is not to reveal the author until the day of publication.

(IFP do seem to love making big announcments on April 5. Toady we get the news of YB4's publication this year.)

#32 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

But remember, the plan is not to reveal the author until the day of publication.

Is it? How on earth did I miss that piece of news? Interesting, very interesting.

I wonder exactly how they think they're going to keep the author's name a secret until the day of publication.

#33 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

Is it? How on earth did I miss that piece of news? Interesting, very interesting.

I wonder exactly how they think they're going to keep the author's name a secret until the day of publication.

I interpreted it as "closer to publication" otherwise what's the point of getting a "well-known and established author" if you can't create a little publicity and hype until the actual day of publication. Unless they're using a pseudonym. I expect to know at the start of May 08 with the release of the book on the 27th or 28th.

#34 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:32 AM

I interpreted it as "closer to publication" otherwise what's the point of getting a "well-known and established author" if you can't create a little publicity and hype until the actual day of publication. Unless they're using a pseudonym. I expect to know at the start of May 08 with the release of the book on the 27th or 28th.

Yes, they can use Robert Markham (as an example) as a guise up to publication date, then reveal the actual author on the day.

#35 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

Good point, K1. But here's the exact quote from the press release:

A publisher has not yet been sought and the identity of the author will be a closely guarded secret until publication.

#36 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:54 AM

Like K1Bond007, I'm interpreting this as "close to publication", i.e. a week or so before it hits shops. Where's the commercial advantage in keeping the author's name a secret until the very day, and moreover how would it even be possible?

#37 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

Following this train of thought, I wonder if Mark Gatiss might not be in the running? I haven't read either of his Lucifer Box novels, but by all accounts he seems to have done them rather well.

Another interesting thought- wouldn't create as big a stir as Fry but would make sense in the same way. I keep trying to read The Vesuvius Club and must confessed to getting a little bored after a couple of chapters, but it's good fun up to there in an Avengers-ish kinda way. The BBC have taken an option on it, by the way.
But I've read some other Gatiss books and they've been decent enough, although he's never actually surprising and tends to go for pastiche a lot (just look at his very unexceptional Doctor Who episodes which are essentially just old-style Who); I think you'd get a Fleming pastiche from him, which would a bit disappointing for me. I'd rather have one by Fry as I'd expect a bit more original thinking from him.

#38 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

I don't think Stephen Fry is a massive Bond fan. Judging by his description of some of the books on QI (The only time I have ever heard him mention the character) he got quite a few details wrong, including that it was Bond who claimed that homosexuals can't whistle. He seemed to be irritated by the character really. Saying that he did play Q in Bond rip-off Stormbreaker.

#39 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

(IFP do seem to love making big announcments on April 5. Toady we get the news of YB4's publication this year.)

End of the tax year; romantic date.

For clarification, this was a rumour I heard in January since which time nothing further. So is probably no more than a rumour. I can see him doing it though.

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

It's a great rumor, Jim. Thanks.

#41 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Just finished reading 'The Stars' Tennis Balls'. Very good, amusing, gripping and exciting (though the plot is no secret at all), even funny at times. A sarcastic modern version of a classic tale. I'm beginning to whish very much for a Stephen Fry go at Bond, even though I think the outcome could easily be something completely unexpected. If Fry would be allowed to go beyond pastiche, he might come up with all kinds of wicked ideas that would really make the centenary novel an outstanding event and not a mere continuation. IMHO that could be far more satisfying than just another done-to-death plot about yet another terrorist attack with stolen/bought/burrowed nuclear/biologic/chemic WMD to blackmail/kill/humiliate the President of the US of A/the leaders of the free world/the Board Of Directors of the BBC.

Which is not to say that a pastiche by Fry wouldn't be welcome too.

#42 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

Stephen Fry is a big Bond fan, who likes quoting lines from the films back and forth with his friends - but I rather presumed Jim was joking.

Hugh Laurie has appeared in SPOOKS and written a well-received spy thriller.

When I first heard Fry mentioned here, I actually thought Laurie was the more qualified one of the two to write it. Still I'll try and keep an open mind if it's either of them even though both seem a little far-fetched, but I guess the same could probably have been said of Charlie Higson.

I actually suggested Hugh Laurie as my ideal candidate for the new novel quite a while back.. I thought The Gun Seller was one of the smartest, most well-written spy thrillers I've ever read (including the Fleming novels!) and I think he'd do a fantastic job..

I love Stephen Fry's work as well, but I'm just not sure he can tame that wild vocabulary of his :cooltongue: Not that a Bond novel shouldn't be intellectual and smart, but there's a limit for it still to be fun and within character :angry:

I do think Fry is very Fleming-like though (in the sense that he seems more at home in an earlier era).. if the new novel is set in the past, he gets my vote..

#43 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

I actually suggested Hugh Laurie as my ideal candidate for the new novel quite a while back.. I thought The Gun Seller was one of the smartest, most well-written spy thrillers I've ever read (including the Fleming novels!) and I think he'd do a fantastic job..

Hugh Laurie!?!
ARRRRGH!
Yet another name I'll have to check out! Can anybody please tell me when in heavens name I'm supposed to read all those books? :cooltongue:

After all, there is still some serious tv-watching to do (mostly HOUSE M.D that is). :angry:

#44 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

No idea if it's true, but I repeat: Stephen Fry is a massive massive Bond fan. He's also an acclaimed novelist and rather clever, so I think if he were 'cast', we would have a chance of him reading Fleming's books closely and coming up with something along roughly similar lines.

Following this train of thought, I wonder if Mark Gatiss might not be in the running? I haven't read either of his Lucifer Box novels, but by all accounts he seems to have done them rather well.

He has; they're most amusing.

But Fry would be an excellent choice. Contrary to a post earlier in this thread that suggests Stephen Fry is arrogant, I have to say the truth is he's anything but. I have met and talked to the man and he is, if anything, self-effacing. And very, very affable.

#45 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:06 PM

No idea if it's true, but I repeat: Stephen Fry is a massive massive Bond fan. He's also an acclaimed novelist and rather clever, so I think if he were 'cast', we would have a chance of him reading Fleming's books closely and coming up with something along roughly similar lines.

But Fry would be an excellent choice. Contrary to a post earlier in this thread that suggests Stephen Fry is arrogant, I have to say the truth is he's anything but. I have met and talked to the man and he is, if anything, self-effacing. And very, very affable.

Stephen, on behalf of all of us here, can I wish you a very belated welcome to CommanderBond.net? :cooltongue:

#46 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

Stephen, on behalf of all of us here, can I wish you a very belated welcome to CommanderBond.net? :cooltongue:

Ah, you're not serious, snf.

Or are you?

#47 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Still everything quiet on the Stephen Fry front it seems. Wonder if that's a good sign...

#48 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:11 AM

Sorry you didn't get the job Stephen - perhaps next anniversary.