20 replies to this topic

#1 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 10:54 PM

I like the music of Spiderman,i have seen the movie yester day (30-07-02 "21.45-23.45 Dutch-time").
I like the main title song as the best music of the movie.
Danny Elfman is a good choose for make the music for bond 22 or later.

Posted Image

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 07:10 AM

A great choice. I'm looking forward to hearing Elfman's score for "Red Dragon".

#3 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 11:42 AM

His scores, I think, are very good but maybe too far away from what Bond films want and need.

His scores for Batman and Beetlejuice, even Men In Black all seem very 'bouncy' for lack of a better word.

Still, it would be interesting in a Bond movie.

#4 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 11:58 AM

I love Mr Elfman's scores, but i have too admit i dont think it would work in a Bond film. As "Mousey" said; they seem a little bouncey. Which isnt a bad thing, its just not right for Bond.

It would be like having John Williams do it, he's a great composer, but this wouldnt suit his style. Which works in the same vein as say Mike Myers, he's a great actor (IMO), but would you want to see him play Bond? of course not, its just not his style.

#5 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:45 PM

Originally posted by ShockTroop22
I love Mr Elfman's scores, but i have too admit i dont think it would work in a Bond film. As "Mousey" said; they seem a little bouncey. Which isnt a bad thing, its just not right for Bond.

It would be like having John Williams do it, he's a great composer, but this wouldnt suit his style.

Both of these composers are high on my list of favourites. I'd like to see what they could do.

Yes, there styles are far from what we expect of a Bond composer. But everyone critisizes David Arnold (And i'm not one of these people) for being too similar to John Barry.

I think it would be an interesting score if Elfman was hired to pen one, but for now I'm hoping that David Arnold stays on board for a few more films!

#6 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, i want David Arnold to stay on for a long time. He's a brilliant composer, and much better suited than anyone else at the moment. His mix of classic John Barry style music, with his own blend of techno really gives a fantastic injection into the movies main sequences. I cant wait to hear what he's got instore for the ice-ballet. :)

#7 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:43 PM

If you want to get radical with Danny Elfman, I have no choice but to throw in my radical choice of Randy Newman, and then sit back and watch the fur fly.

#8 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 09:08 PM

David Arnold is to stay...

...but, Elfman's score for Spider-Man is bloody fantastic. As Tim knows, I'm always listening to it on my PC (the opening credits).

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:14 AM

Well, I know what you mean about Elfman's music generally being "bouncy" and un-Bondish, but I'm sure his "Red Dragon" score will of necessity be a departure from his usual stuff (although I guess he's done plenty of "creepy" music already for Tim Burton). I'm certain, though, that he's versatile enough to do a Bond score.
David Arnold.... I'm tired of Xeroxed John Barry mixed with techno beats. I'd like to see someone do a really satisfying orchestral score for a Bond movie, and both Elfman and John Williams sound like good candidates.

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:15 AM

But would the Bond producers be prepared to pay the fees those guys could command?

#11 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 12:50 PM

Danny Elfman CAN do a Bond-score!
Listen to the Mission: Impossible Soundtrack. I mean the original score (point music 454 525-2) and not that "Music from and inspired by..." compilation. There are great suspense pieces like "Hamburg Break In"(TND) and high-speed action pieces like "Come In 007..."(TWINE). He could really do a Bond-score...

...but only when David Arnold is sick or something. He's the best for the job right now and he loves scoring Bond. I hope he's staying for a looong time and brings in some continuity especially when Pierce is leaving the role.

#12 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 02:40 PM

I would be very interested in hearing Danny Elfman's interpretation of a James Bond score. I'm sure it would be fantastic.

I've been a die hard Elfman fan dating back to his work with Oingo Boingo. (For you John Gardner fans, the band has a song called "No One Lives Forever" which always makes me think of the novel.) The man can masterfully cover any mood or style of film scoring.

He's phenomenal. While his underscore music for Beetlejuice or Men in Black may be bouncy and whimsical, his music for Planet of the Apes or Batman reveals his darker side. As noted earlier, his work on Mission: Impossible should show he can also do the spy genre justice. He's tried his hand at every major film genre and done a phenomenal job. He's one of the most talented artists in the business, hands down, and has already made a place in filmmaking history. I'd love to hear him do 007.

All that being said, my loyalties are firmly lodged with David Arnold. There's no way I want Arnold to stop scoring the James Bond films. I would do anything to see David Arnold continue. Should he stop for some reason, however...

#13 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 11:20 AM

Personally, I love Elfmans scores for Batman (Returns), Spider- Man and Mission: Impossible and why shouldn't he skilled enough to do a Bond movie?
Like everyone, I enjoyed David Arnolds score for Tomorrow Never Dies, but for me, he failed completely with TWINE. And if TWINE is the way Arnold wants to score future Bond movies (unfortunately the DAD score is already done), then please hire another composer for the next Bond movies.

#14 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 12:48 PM

no thanks, I like Elfman, but I don't think he'd be good for Bond...his style's a little too out there and I wouldn't want Williams anywhere near Bond....maybe someone like James Horner.....but I love Arnold's work and want him to stay for a long time...

#15 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 08:36 PM

What's wrong with David Arnold, I think he's great.

I'm sorry, a Danny Elfman score would never work with a Bond film.

#16 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 08:40 PM

I thought TWINE had a good score. I thought the movie lacked, but the score was fine... to me atleast.

#17 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 02:31 AM

Elfman's score to "Mission Impossible" is superb and definitely not as "bouncy" as some of his other stuff. I thought his scores to "Batman" and "Spider-Man" really kicked some major :), but the SP score (on CD I mean) felt like it was lacking, like it was missing smaller cues or something. I wouldn't mind hearing his take on the Bond theme. Maybe once you hear it you'll change your minds.

John Williams is a musical genius, a god to many soundtrack afficiandos out there, but I think we're missing out on someone else. His name is Michael Giacchino and he has scored all of the "Medal of Honor" games. Has anyone here played "Medal of Honor Frontline" on Playstation 2? His score for the game, which I own on CD (and it runs at 77 minutes as well), is one of the best musical scores I have ever heard. I'd like to see Giacchino, who is being hailed as the next John Williams, take a crack at a Bond flick. He'll pour out the best material you've ever heard, next to Barry and Arnold mind you.

Jerrold

#18 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 03:02 AM

Everyone's forgotten that Elfman did do a gunbarrel: it was a 'sofa scene' for the opening of an episode of The Simpsons. So he could at least do a gunbarrel...

#19 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:54 PM

You want to get ridoff David Arnold no way.
Just listen the score he made to Randal and Hopkirk

#20 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 07:53 PM

What you say about this
Mix David Arnold and Paul Oankenfold

#21 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 03:32 AM

Paul Oakenfold...hmm, great DJ (dug his work in SWORDFISH) but give me the Wiseguys or Propellerheads anyday of the week.