57 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:40 PM

This just appeared on Amazon and BN.com. It's the U.S. paperback DAD novelization cover art. Some interesting things here. Notice that Pierce and Halle Berry get equal billing. Also, that tag line "He's never been cooler." I think this is the first time I've see it in any official context.

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:47 PM

Very cool! Good to see you back up on the boards Zencat. I'm anxious to hear about whatever DAD stuff goes down at the Comic-Con.

If not sooner, see ya in the "city by the Bay"

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:51 PM

Weird mix of styles. Very bad design. What do we have? Five different font families. Six if you include the 007. That's about the first thing they teach you in design school is that if you've got five different fonts, you really need to start your design over.

Very disappointing. It is down right ugly.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 07:57 PM

I agree Mr. A, it is a mishmash of different design styles. It's the U.S. paperback series art mixed with the teaser poster mixed with a lot of words in a bad font. It is possible this won't be the final design. This was true of TND...in fact, the pic of the TND novelization on Amazon is still and early, unused design.

But I've never been thrilled with the novelization covers and this one is about what I expected.

#5 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 08:11 PM

yuck, yuck, and yuck. Thats horrible.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 08:42 PM

I think the thing that messes this up a bit is the use of the JAMES BOND logo from standard US paperback design. It really doesn't mesh with the rest of the cover. Still, I like the idea that they're trying to make the paperback consistent with the other U.S. paperbacks by including this, so I'm conflicted.

#7 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 09:02 PM

The wording is ridiculous ("THE BIGGEST BOND MOVIE EVER") and the design is ****. One can only hope it's just a temporary cover that someone slapped together.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 10:57 PM

It's a surprising cover, and at this stage could still be changed. The first thing you'll notice is that Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry have equal billing on the book. Is this a sales ploy for the US Market? Quite possibly, call sheets I saw earlier in the year for Die Another Day filming gave Halle Berry third billing. Perhaps her contract could state a different billing on the US version of the film.

#9 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:01 PM

Very ugly indeed. And so boring. And at last nothing to do with the cover extract I saw on MI6 recently... curious.

#10 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:26 PM

Somehow this cover looked familiar for me. And now I know why. Look at Gardner's Seafire novel.

Posted Image

Strange, isn't it?

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Tim007
And at last nothing to do with the cover extract I saw on MI6 recently... curious.

Cover extract on MI6? What was this exactly?

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:34 PM

Another thought I had, but the "He's Never Been Cooler" I'm damn sure I've seen that on a fan art poster before now. I'm pretty darn certain that caption is fan made. I wonder if they were somehow influenced?

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:38 PM

I thought the same thing Blues Eyes. I've also seen it on IMDB.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:41 PM

Very very strange isn't it. If only I could track down the poster. Anyone got any ideas about that?

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:45 PM

Is this it?

#16 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 11:55 PM

Does this mean Benson knows the script? I think the phrase "He's never been cooler" is one of those things anyone can think up as 'ice' and 'cool' are some of the things you would think of which relate to each other. Unless the poster is an unofficial, yet official one. If you understand. I'll explain. Various designs would have been made for the teaser poster, yes? What if that was one of the rejects that someone decided should be posted up whether or not it was chosen to be the 'official Bond teaser poster'?

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 12:06 AM

Yup that's the on Zencat! It is an 'easy' phrase so to speak, but it's very interesting to see it appear on a fan poster first.

I think I've figured out why this cover doesn't quite work for me, it's too crowded. They need to scrap the 'From MGM' and just put the lion logo somewhere. Reduce the size of the James Bond. Move it all up and give a larger version of the graphic.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 12:26 AM

Originally posted by zencat

Cover extract on MI6? What was this exactly?

Okay, I just went over to MI6 and took a look at the "advance" UK cover. Interesting...except one can hardly make out the image because MI6 has slapped their logo all over it.

#19 Dmitri Mishkin

Dmitri Mishkin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:38 AM

It looks very much like the work of an amateur.

zencat, are you sure that this is an official advance cover? How could professional cover art be THIS bad. Mr. Asterix, please, call MGM right now and volunteer to re-do it.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:07 AM

Originally posted by Dmitri Mishkin
It looks very much like the work of an amateur.

zencat, are you sure that this is an official advance cover?  How could professional cover art be THIS bad.

This is the cover on Amazon. See for yourself.
http://www.amazon.co...6294145-6074201

It's typical for a novelization. It's not THAT bad, is it?

#21 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 05:35 AM

It's far too crowded and has too little graphics to appeal to most people I think Zencat. You're looking at it from the point of view that it fits, thanks to the 'James Bond' with other US editions. I think others are taking it at face value exactly.

#22 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 08:26 AM

Why would they use the same font than for Seafire? And why does the Die Another Day Logo look like as if it was caught from jamesbond.com and just put without any love on that Teaser poster extract. Why do they use so many different fonts and colur schemes? And why a big fat "MGM" on the book? Did the novelizations of The World is not Enough and Tomorrow Never Dies feature such fat remarks about MGM? And would they advertise it as "The biggest Bond movie ever?"

Two possibilites: This is a fake which somehow got to Amazon and they thought it'd be the cover, or Berkley Pub Group have a designer who isn't worth his money.

#23 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 08:30 AM

Why would they use the same font than for Seafire? And why does the Die Another Day Logo as if it was caught from jamesbond.com and just put without any love on that Teaser poster extract. Why do they use so many different fonts and colur schemes? And why a big fat "MGM" on the book? Did the novelizations of The World is not Enough and Tomorrow Never Dies feature such fat remarks about MGM? And would they advertise it as "The biggest Bond movie ever?"  

Two possibilites: This is a fake which somehow got to Amazon and they thought it'd be the cover, or Berkley Pub Group have a designer who isn't worth his money.

The font for the "James Bond in" wasn't just used on Seafire, but on all the Benson and some other Gardner US paperbacks. Here's another example:

Posted Image

#24 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 08:47 AM

Yeah Paul, I just noticed that by myself:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

But they all look much better than the cover for the Die Another Day novel...

#25 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 11:53 AM

I'd have to agree with you here Tim. I think its a fake. It wouldnt be the first time Amazon have done this either, i cant remember what it was, but in the past they had; i believe it was either a star wars, or 007 piece of merchandise, anyway they had picture of the product, which later turned out to be completely different. I think it was a PS2 game. not sure. (i didnt pay much attention)

Anyway...
TOTAL FAKE!!! :mad:

#26 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 01:50 PM

Nah Jason it's not a fake. Trust me on that. It's what you'd call a tenative cover. They create a cover for a version of the paperback which probably goes to proof editors etc... At the same time, they send the cover picture to major retailers. People are moer likely to pre-order something they can see a cover of, no matter what the cover looks like.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:05 PM

Blue Eyes is right. It's not a fake, but it is possible it will not be the cover. Take a look at what first appeared on Amazon as the TND cover...

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:08 PM

Yet when it came out, we got this...

(Note the prominent mention of United Artists, Tim. This was also true on TWINE.That's why I say this DAD cover is a very typical novelization cover and why I'm not that bent out of shape over it.)

#29 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:34 PM

This image is, as postulated earlier, either a fan made fraud or a poorly produced temporary cover. If it's the former, Commanderbond.net needs to start thinking more critically when it comes to separating the true news from internet rumors and forgeries.

It's very likely that the true cover will eventually be created based upon the film's official movie poster, as was the case with The World is Not Enough, and will not be released until much closer the the book's release. Not once has MGM used the pathetic fan created tagline "He's Never Been Cooler" in conjunction with this film (despite the fact that someone has added it to the film's Internet Movie Database Listing). The remaining proclimations on this cover are ridiculous. Some graphic elements of the cover feature far worse resolution than others (namely the title, using the official promotional font, probably because the image's creator was unable to find a matching font to utilize).

The cover is terrible, but have no fear. I'm quite certain this is not the real deal.

#30 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:51 PM

Originally posted by MicroGlobe One
This image is, as postulated earlier, either a fan made fraud or a poorly produced temporary cover.  If it's the former, Commanderbond.net needs to start thinking more critically when it comes to separating the true news from internet rumors and forgeries.

This is a bit offensive, MicroGlobe One. This is the cover as it appears on Amazon.com and BN.com. This is not some fan made creation that I'm trying to foist off as real. Even if it's a temporary cover (which, by the way, I don't think it is) I think it's still worth reporting (just as we reported the early Bond on Set cover). And being the one who brought this news to CBn I'm really pretty offended by your post.