Few questions

12 replies to this topic

#1 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

After a long break from these forums, I've decided to come back. I cannot seem to rid this movie from mind, especially of Vesper. I think I've managed to get the answers to all the questions I've asked before except some new ones:

1) Why was Vesper so cold to bond throughout the beginning movie? Or was she half-cold and half-flirting with him? I can't quite tell what to make of their conversations. It sounded like a lot of teasing, but I'm still confused.

2)If she was cold or mean or w/e, why is this? It seemed like she had some strong reason. Was she trying to keep herself distanced from Bond so she won't feel as bad for double-crossing him? Or does it have to deal with her secrets? During the dinner conversation after Bond wins the poker game, they talk about how Vesper can't take the advice she gives and by that Bond clarifies that he thinks something is driving her and he doesn't think he'll ever find out. Could this be refering to her being always cold to him despite his charms of which he's been able to seduce many women with?

3)Last, I heard someone comment or suggest that the Vesper's Algerian boyfriend is part of the organization that Mr. White and Le Chiffre are in and he's faked his kidnapping to manipulate Vesper into doing getting the money. Do you guys agree that this may be true? I'm thinking it's probably right since the boyfriend is gonna be a villian in Bond 22.

I hate the stuff the writers left out for Bond 22. I can't stop thinking about the missing information and possible answers. It's driving me nuts! I just keep seeing Vesper drowning and want to know why such a great character like her would kill herself.

#2 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

I can't stop thinking about the missing information and possible answers. It's driving me nuts! I just keep seeing Vesper drowning and want to know why such a great character like her would kill herself.

That's exactly what they were hoping for...

#3 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:42 AM

That's exactly what they were hoping for...

Haha...It worked; maybe a little too well.

Anyone got any answers/comments on the questions?

#4 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

.....I just keep seeing Vesper drowning and want to know why such a great character like her would kill herself.

It is the way Ian Fleming wrote it. Vesper is a double-agent. Her guilt and shame are too much to bare. However, her demise in the film was much more dramatic than just taking sleeping pills, per the novel.

And MarcAngeDraco has it right. I can't wait for Bond 22.

#5 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

I agree.

It's great to have an open-ended Bond movie.

I like Nicholas Roeg movies, and they always leave you with more questions than answers, but life is like that.

LOL - imagine if Roeg had directed a Bond film??

#6 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

I don't mind open-ended movies, but this one is drivin' me crazy for some reason. And it sucks when you gotta wait 2 years for the sequel :cooltongue:

#7 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

I don't mind open-ended movies, but this one is drivin' me crazy for some reason. And it sucks when you gotta wait 2 years for the sequel :cooltongue:

Heh-heeh. Stick around, ralawar. This is going to be a fun wait here at CBn. Just think of all the juicey rumors that will be spread around, villified or shot down like a mangey mutt.

There's also a lot of great speculation and member posted possibilities going on in the Bond 22 thread.

#8 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

I am looking forward to only half the questions being answered, and the rest forever to be left to interpretation.

It would be a boring world if we had the answers to everything...:cooltongue:

#9 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

I agree, it would be a boring world if we knew all the answers. Plus I think that we, as the audience, have a responsibility to create the film in our own heads. David Lynch certainly thinks so. He gets kicked for it because his approach looks like a cheat. But in my experience of watching Lynch I find that even if I don't understand the story I feel as though I've been on an emotional journey. I've seen something even if I can't articulate it (yet). And so it is with you, ralawar, you saw CR, left with nagging questions, seek to find the answers and wonder what happened to this great character. I'd say you had one of the best experiences you can have in the cinema.

#10 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

I agree, it would be a boring world if we knew all the answers. Plus I think that we, as the audience, have a responsibility to create the film in our own heads. David Lynch certainly thinks so. He gets kicked for it because his approach looks like a cheat. But in my experience of watching Lynch I find that even if I don't understand the story I feel as though I've been on an emotional journey. I've seen something even if I can't articulate it (yet). And so it is with you, ralawar, you saw CR, left with nagging questions, seek to find the answers and wonder what happened to this great character. I'd say you had one of the best experiences you can have in the cinema.

Ya, I don't mind these types of vague movies but for some reason this one has become an obsession. It's to the point of being unhealthy for me. I mean I think about this movie all day, everday. My subconscious or something keeps bring it up, everytime I think about something, this movie pops up in my head and makes me feel all depressed for Vesper. I dunno if my mind is screwed up right now or if this movie is so good that it stuck in my head, but it's really bothering me. I feel like there's not enough closure to the movie. I keep thinking to myself the most "Why did Vesper have to die? Why?" because I sort of see it through Bond's eyes as intented by the filmmakers (hence the good filming/editing).

I feel for Vesper as if she was real. It's like there's this beautiful, intelligent great woman and this caring, sensitive but manly man that both are so innocent but get totally screwed by this messed up world. It just reminds me of how unfair the world is and the horrible tragedies that occur everyday.

I dunno...I think I'm taking this movie too far and I can't help it.

Edited by ralawar, 28 March 2007 - 09:25 AM.

#11 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

I think you need to see a professional.

#12 ralawar

ralawar

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

I think you need to see a professional.

Perhaps. You're not a psychologist trying to recruit a new client are you? haha...

Edited by ralawar, 28 March 2007 - 09:33 AM.

#13 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

Indeed. In fact, on another thread, we were talking about Nicolas Roeg whose movies have ambigious and thought-provoking plots or endings. I love these types of movies. If you think back through your life, you don't start at the beginning, you think of random moments, and that is what his movies are like.

I think it was quite brave of Martin Campbell and the producers to portray the character of Mathis the way they did, because we still don't know if he is a good guy or a baddie.