22 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

In an early draft, the villain in TWINE had a hawk trained to pick out peoples eyes. I've always loved that idea. Wouldn't it be cool if the main villain in Bond 22 had this? They can use it to explain what really happened to both Le Chiffre's and Gettler's eye. And who wouldn't welcome the return of nasty animals in a Bondfilm?

#2 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

In an early draft, the villain in TWINE had a hawk trained to pick out peoples eyes. I've always loved that idea. Wouldn't it be cool if the main villain in Bond 22 had this? They can use it to explain what really happened to both Le Chiffre's and Gettler's eye. And who wouldn't welcome the return of nasty animals in a Bondfilm?

Hmmmmm

#3 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Very interesting idea. Not sure how it would translate to film though.

#4 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:48 PM

I thought Le Chiffre's weeping eye was due to a genetic or birth defect? Anyway, I am all for the villain having a pet like that. Maybe the Algerian boyfriend has falconeering as a hobby. It would be cool to see him have the hawk attack a lowly henchman and have him pick an eye or two out.

#5 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

Sounds a bit like that crow in Damien: Omen II.

#6 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

I'm not too keen on that idea.

I can imagine it sitting on the villains shoulder like some Pirate. And if some hawk tried to pick out my eye, I'd break it's neck. Can't see it being very effective unless the victim was tied down or something :cooltongue:

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

I think it would work if it was used in only one sequence of the film (perhaps part of an elaborate torture scene or something) and not overdone. Otherwise, I think it would become very comical very fast. "Oh look, here comes the hawk again..."

#8 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:49 PM

Yeah. A hawk doesn't sound all that threatening, except under circumstances where the victim is either paralyzed or prone. Seems a little out of place for a hard hitting gritty spy film.

Now if it were a GIANT hawk...

#9 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

Yeah. A hawk doesn't sound all that threatening, except under circumstances where the victim is either paralyzed or prone. Seems a little out of place for a hard hitting gritty spy film.

YES! A giant hawk......with a laser beam attached!!! A double-taking giant hawk!

#10 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

YES! A giant hawk......with a laser beam attached!!! A double-taking giant hawk!

Purvis & Wade: Hey, that sounds like a good idea!

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

I think this is a terrible idea, and I'm glad they cut it out of TWINE. Unfortunately, a lot of other terrible ideas remained.

Perhaps the villain could have a monkey called Dr. No instead. :cooltongue:

#12 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

I think it would work if it was used in only one sequence of the film (perhaps part of an elaborate torture scene or something) and not overdone. Otherwise, I think it would become very comical very fast. "Oh look, here comes the hawk again..."

Have you ever been attacked by a hawk or indeed any bird? They're viscious b*st*rds at the best of times. I don't usually agree with the fan's musings on future Bond films but there is something tangible about this idea. I'm already sold on the notion of a villain out training his hawk, though I do think we don't need a hawk sat on shoulder motif at all. SANCHEZ's lizard was laughable and that was nearly twenty years ago.

It would certainly explain the patches on both LE CHIFFRE and GETTLER's eyes. Though the new sadist thread in Daniel Craig's era could pave a path for a much more sinister reason behind their disabilities (i.e. the villain just gouged out the eyes himself?).

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

It would certainly explain the patches on both LE CHIFFRE and GETTLER's eyes.

I'm happy for those things to remain unexplained. But if there must be an explanation, I'd rather it didn't involve psychotic trained hawks, double-taking pigeons, clue-giving parrots or similar. The idea is naff beyond belief.

#14 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

I cant see anything comical about an eagle/falcon trained to pick out peoples eyes. On the contrary, I think it can be too terrifying for a Bondfilm. Anyway, I think it would be a good idea for EON to go back and create memorable villains again... and Fleming himself was fairly comfortable with absurdities, wasn't he?

#15 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

It would certainly explain the patches on both LE CHIFFRE and GETTLER's eyes.

I'm happy for those things to remain unexplained. But if there must be an explanation, I'd rather it didn't involve psychotic trained hawks, double-taking pigeons, clue-giving parrots or similar. The idea is naff beyond belief.

It's too much of a coincidence to remain unexplained. There is a definite story arc at work there. I agree with you though. We don't need absurd. But I will repeat that hawks are viscious little critters and don't even need any training to be rather painful allies.

#16 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

I

#17 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

I'd rather have a villan that puts fear into Bond, makes 007 afraid for 3/4 of the movie then have Bond have to muster all that he is or is going to become to face said villan. The torture scene in CR kind of brought that out but its an idea I've wanted to see since the Bronsan days but yet no one has realy capitalized on the notion of putting some scare tatics into James Bond.

#18 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

[quote name='Judo chop' post='716141' date='21 March 2007 - 19:35']I

#19 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

Or a pterodactyl. It could be nicknamed "Terror".

Regards,

Neal and Robert.

#20 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

Was Largo attached to his sharks in TB...?

Yes he was. The film never explored his feelings towards the loss of his sharks because Largo never had to worry about losing his sharks in a fight. He knew that, in a fight, sharks will kill humans 100% of the time when it is not 1977.

As I imagine it, the victim can be locked into a big dark room. They attack and kill him. We dont even have to see them, it can still be a very dark/brutal scene.

Forgive me if I have a hard time imagining it. Firstly I thought we were talking about 1 hawk. I believe that I could defeat a hawk in a fight. Perhaps I would take my scratches, but I

#21 ShySmile

ShySmile

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

I for one really miss the appearences of nasty creatures and animals Bond films, especially sharks. Fleming used dangerous nature all the time. The absence has been too long.

#22 I Like Sharks

I Like Sharks

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

I think this idea is well suited to Craig's Bond so long as it's not cheesy. A giant eagle messily plucking out eyes (with plenty of screaming) would be brilliant if it's just done as a one off. If the eye was 'nibbled' before removal...

Dosn't Mathis get blinded in one of the Benson novels by a surgical laser? A trained hawk or eagle would be more horriffic.

#23 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

I would like to see this, but i agree only as a one of, like the Piranahs in YOLT, Maybe this Hawk idea could be included in Bond 22 with Mathis being the main target.