This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Bring back a Sylvia trench-type bond girl ?

10 replies to this topic

#1 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hey everyone.

one of my biggest worrying for Bond 22 will be the bond girl.

i don't really want to come back to the old formula were bond get another borring "equal" bond girl like we saw in the brosnan movies.

How about bringing back a Sylvia Trench-type girl ? We would see her at the beginning of the movie, after the Titles. A girl he likes to go out with to get pleasure in between mission. he could then sleep with one or two girl (good or bad) but not fall in love at the end (like almost all brosnan movies).

if Bond 22 is only the middle of the trilogy, we could see Bond killing the henchman of the big boss (Bond 23), and to conclude the movie, we would see M calling bond on the phone while he is sleeping with the Sylvia Trench kind of girl

WHat do you think ?

#2 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

To keep in line with the literary/Craig character, she'd probably have to be married.

#3 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

I guess I just don't see the need for a Sylvia Trench type. Nor do I have a problem in which the Bond "girl" is another secret agent. Why do so many fans feel threatened by Bond teaming with a woman who is another agent? Does it threaten their masculinity?

#4 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

I don't have a problem with bond teaming with another female agent. but i would like for once to have some kind of trouble between them, at least. A bit like for Bond and XXX in TSWLM.

#5 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

It's just done to death. The secret agent 'equals' were just equal for the sake of equality, not interest in the story. Anya worked, because she eventually proved vulnerable. Vesper worked because she wasn't trying to be Bond. Many other non-secret agent women worked because they were just independent without having to be a female Bond.

Female Bond history IMO...
Anya-- worked.
Holly Goodhead-- not so much.
Pam Bouvier-- cliche city, but OK.
Wai Lin-- not bad, pretty good, a bit cliched.
Jinx-- waaaay cliched, killed the interest in the idea.

#6 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

I guess I just don't see the need for a Sylvia Trench type. Nor do I have a problem in which the Bond "girl" is another secret agent. Why do so many fans feel threatened by Bond teaming with a woman who is another agent? Does it threaten their masculinity?

I think there might be a less Freudian reason for not wanting to see a dynamic duo Bond film.

For me personally, I like to keep the focus on Bond. It may not be a question of my masculinity so much as it is about Bond

#7 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Long-time members: how 'bout some perspective? Months ago, someone referred to the "notorious Sylvia Trench debate' on this site. Can you sum it up for us?

#8 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Don't know anything about this so called 'Sylvia Trench' debate. However, I do have an opinion on this.

Sylvia Trench showed up for what, like 2 of the Connery films? Its not really like she was a staple in his films. I also don't recall anybody like that in the Fleming novels either. So, with that in mind, I don't think Craig needs anybody like that. Just give him a steady stream of beauties to go through.

On the woman of equal status thing, I see no problem with it. I think with the bad taste of Jinx in a lot folks mouth, maybe they should stay away from that for 22. Personally, I think that since M has Villiers (which was a diffrent approach) why not bring back Mary Goodnight or Loelia Poensby to be Bond's secretary in the 00-Section. Heck, why not bring in a lady to play Major Boothroyd of the Q-Branch. That would give Bond a lady to spar with frequently, and she can be as much of a bad [censored] as he is. Just a thought!

#9 Craig is 007

Craig is 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

I love Sylvia Trench, she is one of my favorites. And if EON can find a girl that can match Sylvia, I would be very happy.:cooltongue:

Edited by Craig is 007, 19 March 2007 - 07:27 PM.

#10 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

Two reasons: Wai Lin and Jinx. For me, anyway. And it's certainly not because it threatens my, er, masculinity :cooltongue: . It's just because they were crap.
I could live with a Sylvia type character. It would fit well with DC's Bond's supposed relationships with married women.

#11 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

Two reasons: Wai Lin and Jinx. For me, anyway. And it's certainly not because it threatens my, er, masculinity :cooltongue: . It's just because they were crap.
I could live with a Sylvia type character. It would fit well with DC's Bond's supposed relationships with married women.

Well said. Nice to see the Good Santa on duty today. My masculinity remains intact. In fact, I can't be sure of this, I believe I may have a new chest hair.