pulled the trigger on a brioni ! : )

30 replies to this topic

#1 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

after admirin daniel craig's epitome of sartorial elegance in the final scene of CR , where he wears the 3 piece after kneecappin mr white ,lol ...

... i've taken the plunge and ignored my reluctance to buy any suit off the rack and bought a brioni two piece in superfine wool .

brioni's are magnificent suits and i've been suckered by product placement .

i shall have it tweaked by an old italian i do business with , who will probably smile with awe n admiration to work on such a garment.

any fellas wear brioni on this forum ?

enough of the boastin .. over n out.

#2 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

You'll never regret the purchase. I bought my tuxedo in 2001 and since have picked up two additional suits and several shirts.

Not only stylish, but very comfortable.

Congrats!

#3 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

i'm keen to compare it to the savile row suits i have , especially my chester barrie hand tailored which is also not bespoke but off the peg.

i understand brionis have powerful shoulders and suppressed waists which creates a little anxiety in me as i prefer a soft natural shoulder with little paddin... but a nipped in waist is always welcome.

did you have to have much alterin by a tailor when you recieved it ?

hopefully i'll recieve it in about a weeks time.

#4 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

I picked it up from Bernini in Beverly Hills. After deciding on the cut and style of the jacket and slacks, I was paneled and then selected the pattern and texture of fabric, opting for cotton wool blend. About three weeks later, I had the final fitting and then selected three shirts and two ties.

I will forever remember the day I picked it up. Beverly Hills was oddly deserted.

September 12, 2001.

I met a friend for lunch and we, like everyone else in the restaurant, were quietly fixated on the televisions all with CNN covering the aftermath. Finishing lunch she commented nodding to one the screens with "Well...Now that you've got your tuxedo, I expect you to make sure nothing like yesterday ever happens again."

#5 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

oh right .. you had MTM ?

when i spend 4 figures on a suit i usually have fully bespoke , 3 fittins minimum , skeleton baste, forward fittin , finish bar and collection.

you have to invest a lot of time but the end result is a suit that looks like it was poured onto you .

im intrigued to see how a RTW brioni suit fits and the refinements ill need when i have it in my hands. my chester barrie is fab quality but it can never fit like my bespokes... neither will the brioni.

but hey .. ITS A BRIONI !

Posted Image

Edited by jaws_dentist, 19 March 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:11 AM

I named my daughter after those suits! :cooltongue:

My wife couldn't belive it after I told her from where I thought of the name a couple of years after Briony's birth. The name had stuck by then. :angry:

#7 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

so you didnt name her after ' the life of brian ' then ? :cooltongue:

#8 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

I named my daughter after those suits! :cooltongue:

My wife couldn't belive it after I told her from where I thought of the name a couple of years after Briony's birth. The name had stuck by then. :angry:

Haha, I guess "Armany" might have sounded too obvious?

#9 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

My wife wasn't best pleased after I revealed where I got the name for our daughter, either. But Seaislandcotton herself is quite fond of it.

#10 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

i was a little more creative when namin my one true son and heir.

i named him after splicin the names of my two favourite bond villains , blofeld and oddjob , together.

i called him oddfeld.

* you lot have minds like sewer *

#11 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:26 PM

My son's name was determined 6 years before he was born when my wife was first pregnant. Two girls later, Sean was born.

#12 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:24 PM

I have 3 Brioni ties...there is no substitute. You can get a good deal on them at eBay. :cooltongue: :D

But...I have no Brioni suits. :angry: But...I own 3 Armani suits: black, Navy and Olive...I may do a trade soon for a pearl grey suit with a friend who's suit fits me better as does my navy....and I have a Zegna tuxedo. :lol:

#13 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:48 AM

my son's name is

Bond, James Bond.

that goes over well in class.

#14 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

so happy was i with the suit , i pulled the trigger on a brioni sportjacket ! :cooltongue:

http://img443.images.../brioni3dp7.jpg

http://img443.images...ionipolood9.jpg

http://img443.images.../brioni2au5.jpg

now im lookin for that woven silk tie DC wears in the final scene of CR , i have a 3 piece navy blue pinstripe suit that looks just like that (brooks brothers golden fleece ).

i wonder if its worthwhile emailing turnbull & asser ?

product placement AHOY !!

#15 Flash1087

Flash1087

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1070 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:11 AM

I recently decided that the first thing I'd buy after winning the lottery was a Brioni suit, likely identical to Craig's during the end scene. Where would an everyday midwestern American boy like me acquire one?

#16 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

I am firmly anti-Brioni. That is until I get one :cooltongue: For the price of a Brioni one can get a full bespoke suit from a variety of Savile Row shops, and three MTM from Mabro, and four RTW from Canali, etc.

That having been said, and contradicting myself, I would consider a Brioni RTW tuxedo, but only because of Bond. For my business wear suits I like MTM Mabro and RTW Canali. Canali now offers MTM from their Beverly Hills location, but I feel their RTW is just as good as Brioni, and their MTM better.

Cheers,

4A

P.S. I was anti-Rolex was for a while too! :angry: So congrats on your purchase.

#17 HawkEye007

HawkEye007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

Sadly, the only suits I own are two sad affairs from the Men's Warehouse! In all honesty, I would love to have Brioni suit custom made. However, my job no longer calls for suits, and my wife would flip at the pricing. Oh well, one can always dream... :cooltongue:

#18 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

I am firmly anti-Brioni. That is until I get one :cooltongue: For the price of a Brioni one can get a full bespoke suit from a variety of Savile Row shops, and three MTM from Mabro, and four RTW from Canali, etc.

That having been said, and contradicting myself, I would consider a Brioni RTW tuxedo, but only because of Bond. For my business wear suits I like MTM Mabro and RTW Canali. Canali now offers MTM from their Beverly Hills location, but I feel their RTW is just as good as Brioni, and their MTM better.

Cheers,

4A

P.S. I was anti-Rolex was for a while too! :angry: So congrats on your purchase.

i own a canali sportjacket and i can assure you its no brioni.

canali has no hand work only machine stitchin which makes a big difference although in canali's favour it is fully canvassed.

the fit is totally different too , both jackets i own , the brioni and the canali sportjackets are very different beasts .

the brioni has a very flatterin fit , the canali more tent like.

because of all the machine stitchin on the canali it is a tier 2 garment , goin head to head with corneliani and dunhill. its a nice jacket but the lack of hand stitchin makes it look crude in comparison to the brioni.

as in my first post in this thread , i asserted i am loathe to buy any off the rack clothes , much preferin bespoke (custom made) involvin numerous fittins.
but this brioni made my heart sing when i recieved it , the quality of construction and hand finnishin makes this a true tier 1 garment. and the fit is fantastic for RTW. chester barrie (savile row) make garments of this quality with their RTW too.

buy a brioni if you can afford it and get it tweaked by a tailor (i merely need the sleeves takin up about an inch on 40r) , you wont regret it and it leaves canali for dust.

#19 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

I am firmly anti-Brioni. That is until I get one :angry: For the price of a Brioni one can get a full bespoke suit from a variety of Savile Row shops, and three MTM from Mabro, and four RTW from Canali, etc.

Cheers,

4A

P.S. I was anti-Rolex was for a while too! :lol: So congrats on your purchase.

i own a canali sportjacket and i can assure you its no brioni.

canali has no hand work only machine stitchin which makes a big difference although in canali's favour it is fully canvassed.

the fit is totally different too , both jackets i own , the brioni and the canali sportjackets are very different beasts .

the brioni has a very flatterin fit , the canali more tent like.

because of all the machine stitchin on the canali it is a tier 2 garment , goin head to head with corneliani and dunhill. its a nice jacket but the lack of hand stitchin makes it look crude in comparison to the brioni.

as in my first post in this thread , i asserted i am loathe to buy any off the rack clothes , much preferin bespoke (custom made) involvin numerous fittins.
but this brioni made my heart sing when i recieved it , the quality of construction and hand finnishin makes this a true tier 1 garment. and the fit is fantastic for RTW. chester barrie (savile row) make garments of this quality with their RTW too.

buy a brioni if you can afford it and get it tweaked by a tailor (i merely need the sleeves takin up about an inch on 40r) , you wont regret it and it leaves canali for dust.

Oh, I so disagree! But then again I am not here to change your mind. I have put on Brionis before and find very little difference between them and Canali or Mabro, other than the price. Don't get me wrong though, Brioni is a high quality garment.

Hand-sewn versus machine-sewn isn't always a valid argument. My grandfather was a tailor of bespoke suits and owned quite a nice business (which I have mentioned here at CBn before) and I can assure you that even on bespoke suits a machine is used and that there are quality stitches that only a machine can do, and that hand stitching doesn't even come close to matching.

I would still go with the a Mabro MTM or Canali RTW/MTM over a Brioni RTW. However, as I mentioned earlier, I would definitely consider the RTW Brioni tuxedo.

Now for the more important question, what kind of watch you gonna be wearing with that Brioni?

Oh and what is the collar style on the tux?

Anyways, nice to know we have folks here who are in pursuit of sartorial excellence :cooltongue:

Cheers,

4A

Edited by Four Aces, 21 April 2007 - 01:18 PM.

#20 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

some seams on the core construction have to be machined , thats true .

but with a tier 1 garment only the bare neccessity should be machine sewn.

the pockets , outer seams , lapels ,lining etc have to be hand sewn by artisans to give the garment its fluid looks.

theres a huge difference in the feel and appearance of a hand sewn garment and a wholly machine made garment.

the former leaves the latter for dead.

i got both my jackets out earlier to do a comparison and the difference is startling.

brinonis are made with escorial wool which naturally has an almost elastic quality , meaning the drape and movement is sublime.

both jackets are 40r and the difference in fit is night and day.
the brioni is sculputred by hand and flatters the body with a superb silhouette , the canali is very crude in its fit and 'hand' by comparison.

you can tell the brioni took far more man hours to make , hence the premium price.

the brioni is so comfortable it feels like wearing a shirt , the canali is a more 'factory made' feel , its not half buttery soft and isnt cut so close to the body.

oh btw i usually wear an omega seamaster for every day use.

#21 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well it's okay we differ. I have not looked at a sport jacket by Canali. I have a Canali suit(s), there should be a big difference between their sport jacket and their suits.

As for what we call the 'fit' I would have to say a lot of that depends on the build of the wearer. I don't think a Brioni, because of the suppleness can compliment someone who may be on the heavy side. In fact for those types I would recommend a stiff camels head. Neither Brioni, Canali, or Mabro would compliment that look. For the more athletic build I think either of these brands look great. However, if the wearer has a significant drop, then regardless of the quality, the fit of the suit will suffer. Hence my preference for MTM (or bespoke).

What collar style is on your tux? Peak, notched, or shawl?

What about Mabro, have you done a comparison of Mabro MTM with a Brioni RTW?

Omega Seamaster :cooltongue:

Cheers,

4A

P.S. [edit] Oh, I see it's a Brioni suit, not tux, that you just purchased. My mistake.

Edited by Four Aces, 22 April 2007 - 09:57 PM.

#22 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

i might buy a canali suit , theres a german seller on ebay who is selling a lot of em all brand new for 700 bucks (

#23 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

[quote name='jaws_dentist' post='730241' date='22 April 2007 - 17:23']i might buy a canali suit , theres a german seller on ebay who is selling a lot of em all brand new for 700 bucks (

Edited by Four Aces, 23 April 2007 - 01:38 AM.

#24 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:09 AM

high armholes stop the suit riding up when you move your arms laterally. the chester barrie has very high armholes, i will scrutinise my brionis at some point.

i NEVER buy RTW shirts the fit is always way off , especially in the arm length.

with a suit n shirt combo the sleeve on the suit has to be just right and the shirt has to be made so about 1/2 inch of linen is showin beneath. you cant get that buyin RTW shirts .

i have a great shirt tailor and when i get measured up for a shirt i take in a few of my suit jackets so he knows how long to make the sleeves so the cuff sits just right . i like to show just a bit of cufflink beneath the suit sleeve cuff.

and heres a good tip , i ask the tailor to launder the material a few times before makin the shirt. this then accounts for the shrinkage before he makes it.

i had to learn this the hard way. you buy a brand new crisp MTM shirt and when you've washed it a few times the french cuff disappears up inside your suit sleeve.

makin a slightly larger shirt than measured for to allow for shrinkage just wont do . its not precise enough . i dont like guessin games.

i have over 40 tailored shirts , lol .

#25 chris-o

chris-o

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

I only got the smoking shirt from Turnbull & Asser, really hard to find, and a brioni suit from 2005.

The Brioni is very , very good. They're much better than no-name suits!!!!

#26 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:34 PM

high armholes stop the suit riding up when you move your arms laterally. the chester barrie has very high armholes, i will scrutinise my brionis at some point.

i NEVER buy RTW shirts the fit is always way off , especially in the arm length.

with a suit n shirt combo the sleeve on the suit has to be just right and the shirt has to be made so about 1/2 inch of linen is showin beneath. you cant get that buyin RTW shirts .

i have a great shirt tailor and when i get measured up for a shirt i take in a few of my suit jackets so he knows how long to make the sleeves so the cuff sits just right . i like to show just a bit of cufflink beneath the suit sleeve cuff.

and heres a good tip , i ask the tailor to launder the material a few times before makin the shirt. this then accounts for the shrinkage before he makes it.

i had to learn this the hard way. you buy a brand new crisp MTM shirt and when you've washed it a few times the french cuff disappears up inside your suit sleeve.

makin a slightly larger shirt than measured for to allow for shrinkage just wont do . its not precise enough . i dont like guessin games.

i have over 40 tailored shirts , lol .

Way to go! Sending you PM on other sartorial matters.

Cheers,

4A

#27 NVT

NVT

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Does anyone know where to get hold of decent bespoke suits that are a few hundred pounds not a few thousand like the ones discuessed here?

What are the names that do the bespoke quality stuff in the UK, London.

Thanks

#28 jaws_dentist

jaws_dentist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

Does anyone know where to get hold of decent bespoke suits that are a few hundred pounds not a few thousand like the ones discuessed here?

What are the names that do the bespoke quality stuff in the UK, London.

Thanks

bespoke for a few hundred pounds ?

NO ! , you can get a crude bespoke by many tailors for about

#29 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

When it comes to suits 'off the rack', i've never taken the Brioni plunge. Only Hugo Boss with modifications thus far.

Tailored suits have, (*ahem*), suited me best over the past 15-odd years.

#30 EL7

EL7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

"Well...Now that you've got your tuxedo, I expect you to make sure nothing like yesterday ever happens again."

Amazing. I'd kill to have some one say that to me,!