14 replies to this topic

#1 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 09:43 PM

I found this little tidbit on the "dark horizens" film website and thought i'd share it with you guys:

Bond 21: You gotta love the ultra wild (but totally without basis of truth) rumours and today came a doozy - The Jakarta Times indicates David Bowie is keen to take on the role of the next 007 villian.

#2 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 09:58 PM

*shudders* - Bowie as a baddie in Labrynth *shudder*

Grey stockings and a sceptre :)

#3 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 09:58 PM

I seem to remember reading that he was offered the part of Zorin but declined. Anyway, any rumors about Bond 21 at this point have very little chance of having any truth to them.

#4 Mousey

Mousey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 10:15 PM

The fact that Bowie did pass on playing Zorin means that he may pass on another chance.

However, it also means that he can play a villain in future Bond movies. Personally, he may be better off with these options:

>playing a henchman
>playing a character with the same amount of screen time, or the same function as Lachaisse in TWINE
>the theme song
>retiring

#5 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 10:38 PM

Well, Bowie does have the looks to play a Bond baddie. Not sure if he's got the acting chops required to play a good one. Anyway, he's afraid of Americans, so I see why he refused to play Zorin.

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 29 July 2002 - 10:43 PM

Hmmm. I was discussing Bond villians with a friend this last weekend and Bowie came up. I think he would make a great henchman. Maybe one with a specific killing ability (i.e. Oddjob's bowler, Jaws' teeth, Grant's watch).

As to the lead, why not Arnold? Make him older (60's) and maybe with a beard or scar. If it was well written, he could be a great one. It's not like he couldn't use the work given his last few screen efforts.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 July 2002 - 01:16 AM

Originally posted by solitaire
I found this little tidbit on the "dark horizens" film website and thought i'd share it with you guys:  

Bond 21: You gotta love the ultra wild (but totally without basis of truth) rumours and today came a doozy - The Jakarta Times indicates David Bowie is keen to take on the role of the next 007 villian.

This is pure fabrication because there is no such publication called The Jakarta Times.

There is The Jakarta Post, an English language daily newspaper that I subscribe to, but there has been no mention of this "rumour" in there either.

#8 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:54 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

This is pure fabrication because there is no such publication called The Jakarta Times.

There is The Jakarta Post, an English language daily newspaper that I subscribe to, but there has been no mention of this "rumour" in there either.

So what is your ****ing point:rolleyes:.......I think I made it perfectly clear that I saw this on the "dark horizons" film website. Go see for yourself. http://darkhorizons.com

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 30 July 2002 - 03:47 AM

So what is your ****ing point:rolleyes:.......I think I made it perfectly clear that I saw this on the "dark horizons" film website. Go see for yourself. http://darkhorizons.com

Sorry solitaire, but I was not having a go at you what so ever. :eek:

My point is that I'm merely confirming that this "rumour" is a fabrication.
:)

#10 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 08:22 AM

Yeah gotta chime in here solitaire. BC's not telling you off, merely saying that the original news (which you post, hence, he quotes you) is false as there is no such newspaper.

#11 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 02:22 PM

I'm sorry for overreacting,I just thought I was being called a liar.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 10:42 PM

That's the problem with the net, there's few emotions obviously attached so sometimes things can be read really wrong :)

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 11:18 PM

I'm sorry for overreacting,I just thought I was being called a liar.

On further reflection, maybe I should have written: "This rumour is pure fabrication..."

Sorry about the misunderstanding, solitaire.

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 01:28 AM

Either way.....

Ground Control to Major Mikey:

Bowie is good for many things...playing a villian...HELL, acting at all...is not one of them!

I'd sooner see James Bond complaining about the noise level at one of Austin Powers' parties, than see Bowie as a villian. :)

But it was a nice idea Solitare....

-- Xenobia

#15 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 06:51 AM

I don't think Bowie could cut it as the main villain, but I think he'd be a fine secondary villain or henchman. Yeah yeah, I know about "Labyrinth" and all the rest of it, but he was fine in "The Man Who Fell to Earth", and from what I hear (I've not seen the movie) his performance in Nagisa Oshima's "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" is nothing short of staggeringly good. With the right material, Bowie could burn up the screen in a Bond flick.