30 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 June 2001 - 06:07 PM

Benson has said that a short story collection IS in the works, "but we still need a fair amount of stories to put in it." Well, he's up to 3, I say he should write a couple originals (maybe period Bond adventures?) then put out the book w/ 5 stories (matching FYEO). I'm looking very forward to the LONG version of BLAST FROM THE PAST which Raymond has confirmed WILL be in the book. As far as I know, the long version has only appeared in Italian (?). Has anyone read it?

#2 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 28 September 2001 - 06:55 PM

[quote]RossMan (23 Sep, 2001 10:50 p.m.):
[quote]zencat (18 Sep, 2001 07:14 p.m.):
Seems this would be a natural, and maybe RB could do a story that would really appeal to us fans -- like telling the story of what happened to Bond when he went to Russia between YOLT and TMWTGG (I'm re-reading TMWTGG so this is where the idea came from). quote]

I'd love it if Benson did a story filling in the large gap between YOLT and TMWTGG since a lot happened between the two books, Bond meeting up with the Russians, being brainwashed, sent back to London, etc. I think it's a whole year that seperates the events of the two novels.

I'd like to see some short stories taking place during Fleming's original series since Glidrose probably won't let Benson do an entire novel like that. Perhaps another story dealing with SMERSH? In YOLT when M is speaking to the neurologist about Bond's condition and mentions how he failed the past two assignments since Tracy's death, how about a story dealing with that?[/quote]

Good idea. What about THE VLADIVOSTOK ODYSSEY as a title?

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:42 AM

How the heck do you find out all of this info? You're putting me to shame :)

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:57 AM

I forget where I first heard about the shorty story collection... but I asked Raymond himself about it during a Barnes & Nobel online chat about a year ago and he confirmed. But like I said, he's still trying to get enough stories to put in it. This is also where I learned about the long version of BLAST.

#5 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 September 2001 - 10:49 AM

zencat (18 Sep, 2001 07:14 p.m.):
Wouldn't it be cool if the IAN FLEMING FOUNDATION (IFF) commissioned a Bond short story from Raymond Benson

A most excellent idea Zencat, you're full of them I see :) You know what would be even cooler? If the CommanderBond.Net Foundation could even afford to commission Benson :)

Alas, that may never happen :'(

But yes I'd love to see some of the inbetween moments.

What I'd really love for is EON Production to commission Benson to write a story around Bond's time in Cuba at the beginning of Goldfinger. So we can find out all about that mission and why heroin flavoured bananas!

#6 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 24 September 2001 - 10:49 AM

zencat (18 Sep, 2001 07:14 p.m.):
Wouldn't it be cool if the IAN FLEMING FOUNDATION (IFF) commissioned a Bond short story from Raymond Benson

A most excellent idea Zencat, you're full of them I see :) You know what would be even cooler? If the CommanderBond.Net Foundation could even afford to commission Benson :)

Alas, that may never happen :'(

But yes I'd love to see some of the inbetween moments.

What I'd really love for is EON Production to commission Benson to write a story around Bond's time in Cuba at the beginning of Goldfinger. So we can find out all about that mission and why heroin flavoured bananas!

#7 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 07:30 PM

Another mission could be the Pre-title sequence to Octopussy. With the Acrostar Minijet. The General O'Toro if I remember aswell seemed a nasty character.

#8 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 09:50 PM

[quote]zencat (18 Sep, 2001 07:14 p.m.):
Seems this would be a natural, and maybe RB could do a story that would really appeal to us fans -- like telling the story of what happened to Bond when he went to Russia between YOLT and TMWTGG (I'm re-reading TMWTGG so this is where the idea came from). quote]

I'd love it if Benson did a story filling in the large gap between YOLT and TMWTGG since a lot happened between the two books, Bond meeting up with the Russians, being brainwashed, sent back to London, etc. I think it's a whole year that seperates the events of the two novels.

I'd like to see some short stories taking place during Fleming's original series since Glidrose probably won't let Benson do an entire novel like that. Perhaps another story dealing with SMERSH? In YOLT when M is speaking to the neurologist about Bond's condition and mentions how he failed the past two assignments since Tracy's death, how about a story dealing with that?

#9 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 01:02 AM

Amazing :) I hope they do a short story of another character like Wai Lin or something. It would be an interesting slant. Something like Star Wars where they have full novels based on sub characters who in the movies aren't even important. Or novels based on people who were never even in a movie.

Can you imagine a Wai Lin mission?

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 06:14 PM

I was thinking...

Wouldn't it be cool if the IAN FLEMING FOUNDATION (IFF) commissioned a Bond short story from Raymond Benson for GOLDENEYE magazine? Seems this would be a natural, and maybe RB could do a story that would really appeal to us fans -- like telling the story of what happened to Bond when he went to Russia between YOLT and TMWTGG (I'm re-reading TMWTGG so this is where the idea came from). This would give RB another short for his book collection, and when the collection is eventually published it would be a nice plug for the IFF. Good idea?

#11 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 01:22 AM

I kind of like the idea of doing short stories based on events mentioned off-hand in the films. For instance, in MOONRAKER, during the pre-titles sequence, "M" asks Moneypenny if Bond is back from "that African job" yet. How about a short story called THE AFRICAN JOB set in 1979. Or in Live & Let Die "M" tells Bond the Italians where "most happy" with how he handled "the Rome Affair." Well, how about THE ROME AFFAIR in which Bond meets the buxom Miss Caruso (whom he's hiding in the closet during Live & Let). Good fun.

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 03:46 AM

That's a bloody fantastic idea. I've always wondered what half of those missions may have been about!

What about a short story of Bond before he was a 00? Perhaps still at Eton?

#13 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 30 November 2001 - 04:24 PM

Don't ask me why or how, but I reckon that that RB will release the book of short stories in 2004. The short stories were published in the same year as a novel and a novelisation - 1997 and 1999 were RB's busiest years, so what are the odds on some more short stories in 2002?

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 08:09 PM

Mister Asterix (08 Oct, 2001 08:29 p.m.):
Benson has said that MIDSUMMER'S would not be included in any short story collection as he does not consider it a 'Bond' story. He has also said that 1/3 of BLAST was cut from Playboy. I would expect that even more was cut from LIVE AT FIVE.

Did he say that about MIDSUMMER'S? I think RB was very much on the defense about that story. I think it will and should be included in a short story collection. Yes, there is a long version of BLAST that will make it into the book, but as far as I know nothing was cut from LIVE.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 03:31 PM

This was from a Benson chat on BN.com in 1999:

Bill Kanas from Wantagh, NY: Hi, Raymond! First, I just want to recommend High Time to Kill for all of you out there. It's a terrific Bond adventure, and I think that it shows a levelofmaturity in Bond writing greater then ever before. Now, my question: Are there any plans for a short story collection, possibly including the expanded version of your first story, "Blast from the Past"?

RB: Thanks, Bill. As far as a short story collection, there is talk about it, but there aren't enough short stories yet! Maybe when there are a few more under my belt. Yes, "Blast from the Past" was published in Playboy in an edited version (the full version has been published in Italy and soon in France).... An English version will be published someday, but I don't know when.

#16 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 October 2001 - 07:29 PM

Benson has said that MIDSUMMER'S would not be included in any short story collection as he does not consider it a 'Bond' story. He has also said that 1/3 of BLAST was cut from Playboy. I would expect that even more was cut from LIVE AT FIVE.

#17 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for posting that Zencat. Looks like his already written stories may be the only to appear in that, though I believe it was much the same for Fleming.

Have you ever read the full Blast from the Past? It's probably floating around the net somewhere as a translation! If only I could find it!

#18 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 October 2001 - 12:29 AM

scaramanga (05 Oct, 2001 03:39 p.m.):
Lets hope that Benson can come up with some better titles than: BLAST FROM THE PAST, MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DOOM and LIVE AT FIVE. Lets face it, they're rubbish titles for a James Bond escapade. Hopefully we'll get better.

At least we can be thankful that his novels have better titles. Of the short story titles you mentioned above, I really don't like the sound of Blast From the Past too much, it's sounds kind of tacky. The story itself sounds interesting, tying up loose ends from YOLT, though if Benson knew he'd end up doing the upcoming Japan Book back then he'd probably have saved some of those elements from BFTP to use now. From what people are saying on the Japan Book topic, it sounds like it may be a sequel of sorts to YOLT.

#19 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 05 October 2001 - 02:39 PM

Lets hope that Benson can come up with some better titles than: BLAST FROM THE PAST, MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DOOM and LIVE AT FIVE. Lets face it, they're rubbish titles for a James Bond escapade. Hopefully we'll get better.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:59 PM

Blue Eyes (01 Jul, 2001 08:51 a.m.):
Have you ever read the full Blast from the Past? It's probably floating around the net somewhere as a translation! If only I could find it!

I've never read the full BLAST FROM THE PAST, but I've never throught to search the net for it.

#21 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 07:09 PM

It'd be nice if Raymond Benson were to do a short story dealing with the continuity problem between Cold Fall and Zero Minus Ten. Cold Fall ends with MicroGlobe One still being used and Bond is a Captain but ZMT has Bond back to being commander and the regular double-o section is back. But ZMT begins with Bond training two agents, possibly for a newly reformed Double-O section? Personally though, I am glad that he choose to forget about that MicroGlobe One rubbish.

#22 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 June 2001 - 08:05 PM

Benson has said that Glidrose told him he could use or ignor anything from the Gardner books -- I think he was smart in ignoring all those changes Gardner made to Bond's world.

#23 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 08:03 AM

zencat (08 Oct, 2001 09:09 p.m.):
Yes, there is a long version of BLAST that will make it into the book

Have you read the full version Zencat?

#24 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 01:59 PM

I believe the long version of Blast From The Past has only been published in Italian.

(But this topic is a 'Blast From The Past'. I think my post above was my first to the forums. :) )

#25 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 03:21 AM

Does anyone know why Bond becomes a Captain and then loses the rank? Did we ever find out.

I wouldn't mind if Benson did not ignore Garder's Bond. I think some of the ideas should be tied up, just perhaps as a memory. Especially an old Bond girl, one with a better name. A reference to her would be quite good for those who read all the novels.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 December 2001 - 04:02 PM

Blue Eyes (01 Dec, 2001 08:03 a.m.):

zencat (08 Oct, 2001 09:09 p.m.):
Yes, there is a long version of BLAST that will make it into the book

Have you read the full version Zencat?

No, I never have. Would love to though. Waiting for the book...

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 June 2001 - 02:34 PM

Blue Eyes (22 Jun, 2001 04:21 a.m.):
Does anyone know why Bond becomes a Captain and then loses the rank? Did we ever find out.

Bond became a Captain, I think, in WIN LOSE OR DIE when he was returned to active duty in the Royal Navy. He never lost his rank, Benson just changed it back to Commander because he "thought it sounded better" (which it does). Seems like Benson mentioned a few Gardner Bond girl names in ZMT. Aside from that, I don't think he retained anything.

Not sure what I would have liked to see Benson carry over. Certainly I didn't like the new MicroGlobe One set up of the secret service. I was glad to see the PPK comes back (I never warmed up to the ASP). I did enjoy Bond's thing for SAABs in the Gardner books. It would be nice if Benson made a mention of Bond's current feelings about SAAB and why he never drives them anymore. Maybe Bond, like me, thinks SAAB was ruined when it was bought by GM.

#28 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 06 June 2001 - 12:42 AM

How the heck do you find out all of this information??

#29 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 June 2001 - 03:14 AM

I believe that he refers to Flicka from Never Send Flowers and Seafire in ZMT. And I remember Benson mentioning "the last of Blofeld's heirs" in one of his books, that would probably be referring to either Nena Blofeld and that Tamil Rahani guy from Role of Honor.

#30 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 September 2001 - 07:12 PM

scaramanga (28 Sep, 2001 07:55 p.m.):
Good idea. What about THE VLADIVOSTOK ODYSSEY as a title?

Sounds like it would make a great title for a story dealing with those undescribed events between the two books.