zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

Now on the CBn main page...

New webcast interview

Raymond Benson gives a fairly detailed interview/webcast about Bond, Splinter Cell, the computer game industry, etc. at Writers' Webcast. Go to the middle of the page, find the section called "Writers Webcast with Chris Angelos" and download the link dated February 28, which is the interview with Raymond and Robert Goldsborough. Bob is first, so his interview takes up about half the file. Then Raymond comes on.

Enjoy!

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:03 AM

I just got around to listening to it.

Interesting stuff.

#3 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Very interesting.

Raymond Benson sounds like a really nice, grounded guy.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:42 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

New webcast interview

Just listened to it myself. Always weird hearing the voice of someone you've discussed for so long for the first time. :angry:

Was a very interesting interview. Thanks for posting this, John! :cooltongue:

#5 Mr_Clark

Mr_Clark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

His Splinter Cell novels are amazing, much more better then his Bond novels in my opinion.

#6 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:06 AM

His Splinter Cell novels are amazing, much more better then his Bond novels in my opinion.

I don't know. They weren't bad. My problem really is that if you're going to do a first-person spy novel - especially one that has to do with extreme covert activities, it should be first-person throughout from the point of view of the main character. I didn't like when he switched to other characters and then because of that he was pretty much forced to switch point of view. It adds another level of suspense and intrigue as to whether Fisher is doing the right thing considering we the audience wouldn't get any other perspective. He gets his intel and orders from his superiors, he acts on it and is aided by fellow NSA (Third Echelon) officers whom he trusts. That's how it should have been. Instead it kind of took some of the mystery out and dulled Fisher a bit.

As I said, they weren't bad though...

#7 Mr_Clark

Mr_Clark

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

I don't know. They weren't bad. My problem really is that if you're going to do a first-person spy novel - especially one that has to do with extreme covert activities, it should be first-person throughout from the point of view of the main character. I didn't like when he switched to other characters and then because of that he was pretty much forced to switch point of view. It adds another level of suspense and intrigue as to whether Fisher is doing the right thing considering we the audience wouldn't get any other perspective. He gets his intel and orders from his superiors, he acts on it and is aided by fellow NSA (Third Echelon) officers whom he trusts. That's how it should have been. Instead it kind of took some of the mystery out and dulled Fisher a bit.

As I said, they weren't bad though...

Yeah, that was my beef with him and the SC novels; you know, I'm a bit surprised Tom Clancy has never written a SC novel before.