24 replies to this topic

#1 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

So far it seems that the re-booted franchise is sticking close to Fleming's original vision of James Bond. I'm not missing Q or Moneypenny but wonder whether having a Housekeeper for Bond would add anything to the dynamics of the franchise? One positive is that having an older (?) woman as the Housekeeper would dilute the tension between M and Bond - which probably would be a good thing. Don't need too much emphasis on that relationship in the next movie and have Bond and M become some kind of dynamic duo partnership!

#2 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

I think it would be a cool nod to Fleming to have May there...or if they deem a housekeeper to be too out of date for 2008, it'd be cool to have her be his neighbor that sometimes does him a favor (not *that* kind) every now and then.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

[mra]May might be a nice touch if there is a reason for it. Something like Bond gets a letter in the post that is important to the plot, May tells him about it as she is leaving. It would beat having Bond just find it.

Still don

#4 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:42 PM

Well if you change M to a woman then you must, by law, change his housekeeper to a man.

Jeeves + Wooster + Bond = hilarious hijinx.

#5 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

I'd rather not see May, personally, as I like to keep Bond's personal life at a solid remove. I realise it would be a Flemingian touch but I like Bond more cold and distant. For the same reasons I don't want to see where he lives, I need the mystery.

#6 Agent Carter

Agent Carter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:05 PM

I'd rather not see May, personally, as I like to keep Bond's personal life at a solid remove. I realise it would be a Flemingian touch but I like Bond more cold and distant. For the same reasons I don't want to see where he lives, I need the mystery.

Ah why not? Don't ya want to see all the IKEA furniture he owns? :cooltongue:

I think having May in there would be fun. She is such a great character. But I agree, there needs to be a good reason for it.

#7 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

Could well slow the film down.. and to be honest I'm not sure newBond, in 2008, is the kind of chap who needs his house 'keeping'.

#8 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

I would like to see May in a Bond movie before I die.

#9 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:49 PM

Ah why not? Don't ya want to see all the IKEA furniture he owns? :angry:

I've married men knowing them less than I know James Bond :cooltongue:. No. I really, really don't want to see that kind of detail about his life. It's this odd little quirk I have.

Could well slow the film down.. and to be honest I'm not sure newBond, in 2008, is the kind of chap who needs his house 'keeping'.

It is a rather old-fashioned concept but somehow I can't see James Bond getting down and scrubbing his own toilet or hoovering.

#10 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

It may be intresting. But I dont think a housekeeper fits the Bond-character. He seems more like a person who constantly move around or use a secret adress.

#11 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:32 PM

It is a rather old-fashioned concept but somehow I can't see James Bond getting down and scrubbing his own toilet or hoovering.

But that's what you do in the military- I think it's exactly what a proud soldier would do.

#12 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

May works great in the novels, but I don't want her in the films. I guess if there's a really good reason like Mr. Asterix suggested then I'll learn to live with it. Otherwise, no.

#13 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

It may be intresting. But I dont think a housekeeper fits the Bond-character. He seems more like a person who constantly move around or use a secret adress.

Considering May is a Fleming creation, and he also created Bond. I think it suits the Bond character just fine :cooltongue:

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 09:28 AM

I wouldn't mind at all.

#15 SecretAgent007

SecretAgent007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

I think it would be great to see Bond's flat and May at some point. It would also be kind of nice to see something along the lines of Bond at the office ala the beginning of Moonraker (novel) somewhere down the line, at the indoor range, at his office with Loelia Ponsonby, and maybe the exchange about 008.

To paraphrase Cubby: "we bought the damn books, use them"

Edited by SecretAgent007, 22 February 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#16 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:43 AM

Considering there is no Q or Moneypenny and we did fine without them for a film, I doubt a May appearance would help anything.

I also don't think we really ever need a scene in Bond's flat anytime soon. I just don't know what it would add. It was kind of fun seeing it in DN and LALD, but what did it really do for those films? ]

Put Bond where he belongs -- in the field and dispense with whatever will slow the film down at the expense of a token Fleming nod.

#17 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:54 AM

Does Bonds' financial status support a housekeeper?

I mean, does Bond become more wealthy due to windfalls gained over the course of his missions?

Or, is there inherited wealth from his parents and aunt already in place?

#18 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:47 PM

Having Bond's housekeeper in a movie wouldn't necessarily add anything, but it would be another nice nod to Fleming. Would presumably also mean we got another look at Bond's home.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

I don't want to see the character just for the sake of throwing her in there. If there is a justified reason, then sure.

#20 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:23 AM

'It's his most personal mission yet. When evil Danish terrorists execute James Bond's housekeeper for laughs, 007 is forced to admit that he has had rather a run of bad luck, what with his parents and that accident in the mountains, his first love killing herself, his wife being gunned down before his very eyes on his wedding day and his best friend being eaten by sharks.

But once he has grieved, Bond springs into action, and vows to hunt down the threat behind the spies who think a melancholic Bond makes for a grittier one and will do anything to make that happen, so with his trusty Walther PPK he leaves MI6, puts on some rouge (why do people always spell 'rogue' like this?) and faces his toughest mission yet. This fall, see the light shining behind Daniel Craig's ears once again as he stares grimly into the camera in

REVENGE ON THOSE WHO KILLED MY HOUSEKEEPER

sorry,

COMPLIMENTS OF MAY

no, sorry,

MAID IN SCOTLAND

or perhaps even

DEATH FOR BREAKFAST

(Not yet rated but will probably be a PG like all the other ones, even though he actually rapes a nun in this one)'

#21 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

I'd rather they insert Loelia Ponsonby. A neat idea here would be to see Bond arrive at 'the office' and have Ponsonby give Bond a message from May.

That's if theres room. I don't want Moneypenny and Q back for Bond 22. If they go with Ponsonby I'd only hope they start a new type of relationship, not a Moneypenny clone...

#22 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' post='701673' date='14 February 2007 - 11:39'][mra]May might be a nice touch if there is a reason for it. Something like Bond gets a letter in the post that is important to the plot, May tells him about it as she is leaving. It would beat having Bond just find it.

Still don

#23 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

I wouldn't mind. It would be a fun Flemingian touch, if there is a reason for it of course.

Like others said: Please don't squeeze her in just or the sake of it.

#24 Tired And Emotional

Tired And Emotional

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

I'd rather like a fleeting glimpse of her; I vote for Helen Mirren in a blink and you'll miss it cameo. Or, just for giggles, Judi Dench. Cue double take.

#25 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

I'd love to see May in there as well as James having some scrambled eggs for breakfast.