#61 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

All of this is lovely, but we all know the REAL question is:

Where the [censored] was Stephen Fry this year? I can't believe they let the smug, self-aggrandising [censored] Ross host the BAFTAs this year. Where was the class?

Stephen Fry is up his own [censored] and over exposed, good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Actually, Mr. Fry is a lovely fella, whom I've met several times. And far from being up his own [censored], he is actually quite self-effacing in the flesh. And he's certainly a much better host than the ghastly Ross.

Well watching the BAFTAS makes me wonder...

Would Daniel Craig win a BAFTA if he played Idi Amin?

I think he would have made a fair Amin... :cooltongue:

#62 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:27 PM

Thing is, though, The Independent is about as far from a supermarket tabloid as you can get (although it is, I admit, a tabloid).

Is it really a tabloid?

I thought The Independent was a broadsheet. At least when I lived in the United Kingdom over a decade ago it was a broadsheet.

That's bizarre! Though a lot of newspapers are moving to the tabloid pages because it is believed to be easier for people to hold.

#63 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

Thing is, though, The Independent is about as far from a supermarket tabloid as you can get (although it is, I admit, a tabloid).

Is it really a tabloid?

I thought The Independent was a broadsheet. At least when I lived in the United Kingdom over a decade ago it was a broadsheet.

That's bizarre! Though a lot of newspapers are moving to the tabloid pages because it is believed to be easier for people to hold.

Yep, it's been a tabbies for about three or four years now. Successfully so, too.

But it is still largely po-faced PC vegetable-caressing nonsense.

#64 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Is it really a tabloid?

Yep, it's been a tabbies for about three or four years now. Successfully so, too.

Indeed. Their editorial policy revolves around their assertion that we're all going to hell in a handcart unless we never drive/fly/break wind ever again. Everytime I see an Independent front page, I'm encouraged to leave as big a carbon footprint as I can.

#65 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 05:52 AM

The UK press just know that Daniel sells papers at the moment - hopefully he can just get used to it.

As with his Bond Announcement Day fiasco, he's feeling the gnawing fangs of the daft press all over again. First the life-jacket. Now the swim trunks. What is it with DC and water oriented options?

There's been loads of articles about him in the tabloids just in the past 7 days - one silly one about his gilrfriend always looking miserable because she is worried he's going to run off with someone else because he's so good looking......

I've had the same thought going round my head for quite some time now.

I know I shouldn't look at these things - but I worry that as he's obviously sensitive it'll put him off being James Bond and wish to be anonymous again!

Now THAT is a worrisome thought, indeed.

#66 punkinpuss

punkinpuss

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

The UK press just know that Daniel sells papers at the moment - hopefully he can just get used to it.

As with his Bond Announcement Day fiasco, he's feeling the gnawing fangs of the daft press all over again. First the life-jacket. Now the swim trunks. What is it with DC and water oriented options?

There's been loads of articles about him in the tabloids just in the past 7 days - one silly one about his gilrfriend always looking miserable because she is worried he's going to run off with someone else because he's so good looking......

I've had the same thought going round my head for quite some time now.

I know I shouldn't look at these things - but I worry that as he's obviously sensitive it'll put him off being James Bond and wish to be anonymous again!

Now THAT is a worrisome thought, indeed.

DC seems a level-headed sort, so while this will no doubt piss him off, I'm sure he'll do the smart thing -- ie., chalk it up to becoming a marketable commodity and use his newfound power to make the smaller art films and other projects he prefers. It's exactly what PB did and there's no reason DC can't do it as well if not better. If he's smart, he won't waste his time worrying about this stuff and just get on with his work, just as he's done since Eon announced his casting.

PB was a C-list actor before Bond and now he can produce his own films and do interesting work instead of drudgy-for-the-paycheck crap.

And if the UK media drives DC crazy, he can afford to move to a secluded villa in the South of France to hide from it all!

#67 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

Touche', punkinpuss. Point well made. Good to see you around again.

#68 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

What's wrong with vegetable-caressing?

#69 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:57 PM

Maybe daniel didnt find it funny. Too bad he didnt beat the crap out of the guy

#70 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:41 PM

I can see how he'd be less than happy when he didn't win (duh) and perhaps a little annoyed at people only commenting on his body rather than his acting. At the end of the day, who really gives a flying [censored]. Sounds like the little journalist chap is a bit irritating anyway.

#71 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:32 AM

Would anyone think less of Daniel Craig if he shouted at you, when you asked him about Bond?

#72 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hell I'd be pissed too if I worked my [censored] of for God knows how many months, getting beat on and what not just to wind up losing to someone else. I'm also sure that journalist said something other than what he's admitting to to make Daniel make that comment, and even if he is being truthful about what he said, he still probably should've had the sense to leave Craig alone, especially if he saw that he was pissed, or "incandescent with rage" if you like. DC will get over it as will everyone else given time.

#73 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

In article that might have been "wittily" headlined FLASHBACKS OF "A F-----G FOOL", Hari is now seeking to clarify the matter of "Daniel Craig

#74 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Haven't heard that story about the BAFTA's up to now ( I avoid most tabloids and their scandal-of-the-hour headlines). But the way Hari explaines it, it seems a mildly annoying remark by an actor that was faced with a similar mildly irritating remark the inoffensive and supposedly humorous nature of which he just didn't get at that moment. And this caused a 15-minute scandal? How very extraordinary.

#75 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

I will file this story under "Who Gives A [censored]?"

#76 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Good of him to clarify, but damn, look at bizarre "logic" some people have. Saying "your a [censored]ing fool" to someone who happens to gay soon becomes a "homophobic assault". Not Hari's fault, there was nothing in his first story to suggest homophobia on Craig's part. Just the leaps that some people make in their reasoning is frightening.

#77 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:24 AM

Good of him to clarify, but damn, look at bizarre "logic" some people have. Saying "your a [censored]ing fool" to someone who happens to gay soon becomes a "homophobic assault". Not Hari's fault, there was nothing in his first story to suggest homophobia on Craig's part. Just the leaps that some people make in their reasoning is frightening.

You're absolutely right. If Craig had called a black journalist a "[censored]ing fool," it would've automatically made him a racist to some people, even though there's nothing remotely racist, sexist, or homophobic in calling someone a "[censored]ing fool."

#78 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:40 AM

[quote name='Loomis' post='858878' date='9 April 2008 - 16:57']In article that might have been "wittily" headlined FLASHBACKS OF "A F-----G FOOL", Hari is now seeking to clarify the matter of "Daniel Craig

#79 sark

sark

Lieutenant

• Enlisting
  • PipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:38 PM

You're absolutely right. If Craig had called a black journalist a "[censored]ing fool," it would've automatically made him a racist to some people, even though there's nothing remotely racist, sexist, or homophobic in calling someone a "[censored]ing fool."

Reminds me of am episode of Southpark. Stan told his family that the Johnson's were talking to him about nutty mormon stuff. Stan's dad said, "I'm going to go kick mr Johnson's [censored]! Wait, Mr Johnson is a white guy, right?" "yeah." "I'm gonna go kick his [censored]!"

#80 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

You know, we should do here like at imdb, do a thread for every bond film titled for example : Dr No : This movie is RACIST ! and have fun pointing out things in there that the PC brigade would.

#81 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

You know, we should do here like at imdb, do a thread for every bond film titled for example : Dr No : This movie is RACIST ! and have fun pointing out things in there that the PC brigade would.

And then we should do a thread for each film titled WORST MOVIE EVER!!!

#82 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Poor Daniel, can't display even mild irritation without it being reported that he is grumpy/racist/homophobic. It will be mysogeny (howsoeveryouspellit) next.

By jove, I've got it!!! The next Bond girl for Craig!

Olivia. Olivia Jeni.

Miss Olivia Jeni.
Ms. O. Jeni.

MISOJENI.

You heard it here first!