This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Have any ideas of a title for the 2008 Centenary Novel?

28 replies to this topic

#1 ShySmile

ShySmile

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

Anyone have any cool idea's? Hows about 'JAMAICAN SHADOW'

#2 Blabbermouth

Blabbermouth

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

I've always liked "My Enemy's Enemy"

Don't know if it has been used before, but I believe that Fleming once made a note about it. Apparantly a short version of a Hungarian proverb "My enemy's enemy is my friend".

#3 JLaidlaw

JLaidlaw

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

'My Enemy's Enemy'- Surely the only choice. 'Jamaican Shadow' sounds more like a chapter heading, I'm afraid. If it is an original title I just don't want them to go down the Raymond Benson/Eon line of making sure every title has the word death in it.

The thing is that 'My Enemy's Enemy' was a book title Kingsley Amis used in 1962, so I always wonder whether that was the reason that Fleming never used it (Though admittedly, it wouldn't have been a very good title for The Man With The Golden Gun, The Living Daylights, or Octopussy). Maybe Fleming even wrote it down to make sure he purchased a copy of Amis's book...

#4 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

MY ENEMY'S ENEMY is also the English translation of the title of a well known spy thriller by the Swedish writer Jan Guillou - and it's perhaps not quite as original a phrase now as it was in Fleming's day, anyway.

I like HELL HAS NO EXITS, from the proverb 'Hell has no exits - Heaven needs none'. But that's just me: it's up to the author and IFP! :cooltongue:

#5 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD

#6 Mr Twilight

Mr Twilight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

Always been weak for "My Enemy's Enemy". An intriguing title...

#7 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

My Enemy's Enemy sounds good to me.

The title of this thread made me think there was an official announcement of the title.

#8 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:47 PM

I hope they just go with something that fits the story. Perhaps the villain's name or something like that.

#9 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:15 PM

I'm in the "My Enemy's Enemy" camp. Especially since I hope the novel is about Bond's final climactic foiling of SMERSH.

#10 ACE

ACE

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4543 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

Smokeheart
Knight Of Shadows
A Conservative Estimate of Death

I've heard some of these titles but cannot remember where.
They are very good...

#11 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:11 AM

"Double-O Seven" it may sound stupid but hey its possible though

#12 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:02 AM

I rather think 007 might be a good title for BOND 22. I'm serious.

As for the book, would it be heretical to suggest that, for once, a wannabe-Flemingian title should not be used? I'd like "something good", obviously - something fairly memorable and classy, but perhaps the main thing should be that it chimes with the novel rather than Fleming. See, for instance, Benson's NO TEARS FOR HONG KONG chucked out in favour of the apparently more Flemingian (but, IMO, less interesting) ZERO MINUS TEN.

#13 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:08 AM

I like Zero Minus Ten as a title. No Tears for Hong Kong would have been good too though.

I think more than anything it should fit the story, something that the last Higson book didn't do. No more of that. In fact if it sounds like a Gardner Bond title, throw it out immediately.

#14 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:42 AM

I rather think 007 might be a good title for BOND 22. I'm serious.

As for the book, would it be heretical to suggest that, for once, a wannabe-Flemingian title should not be used? I'd like "something good", obviously - something fairly memorable and classy, but perhaps the main thing should be that it chimes with the novel rather than Fleming. See, for instance, Benson's NO TEARS FOR HONG KONG chucked out in favour of the apparently more Flemingian (but, IMO, less interesting) ZERO MINUS TEN.

I see what you mean. For a book name maybe PROMISSION TO DIE would work. i mean i have it as a comic book of Bond and i wish it could be a novel, but not with the same story line as it did. just useing the name.

#15 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

I like HELL HAS NO EXITS, from the proverb 'Hell has no exits - Heaven needs none'. But that's just me: it's up to the author and IFP! :angry:

Mmm. Nice. Flemingy in tone but not actively aping any of his previous titles.
Can't say I've heard the proverb before, but I'll go with it! :cooltongue:

#16 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

THE LION AND THE UNICORN

(as in the MI6 crest)

#17 ShySmile

ShySmile

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

I like Zero Minus Ten as a title. No Tears for Hong Kong would have been good too though.

I think more than anything it should fit the story, something that the last Higson book didn't do. No more of that. In fact if it sounds like a Gardner Bond title, throw it out immediately.

On that note, never thought about it before but what was the relation of the 'Double or Die' title to the book? And I would have prefered 'No Tears for Hong Kong' than 'Zero Minus Ten'... still a great debut novel.

I'm a massive fan of 'HELL HAS NO EXITS' and 'MY ENEMY'S ENEMY'. I mentioned it before in the Bond 22 titles, but how about the sound of 'HEAT DIES DOWN' as in the saying '.. when the heat dies down'?

#18 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

On that note, never thought about it before but what was the relation of the 'Double or Die' title to the book?

There is no relation at all. That's the problem with it. I don't even know what the hell it means to be honest. What does it mean to "double" in the context of a choice where the other is dying. I don't get it. I suppose it could be a gambling thing - there's a part in the book about "shooting the moon", but it seems like a stretch.

Blood Fever works, but it's sort of vague. It's not a title that encompasses the entire book.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

On that note, never thought about it before but what was the relation of the 'Double or Die' title to the book?

There is no relation at all. That's the problem with it. I don't even know what the hell it means to be honest. What does it mean to "double" in the context of a choice where the other is dying. I don't get it. I suppose it could be a gambling thing - there's a part in the book about "shooting the moon", but it seems like a stretch.

Blood Fever works, but it's sort of vague. It's not a title that encompasses the entire book.

Yeah, even Charlie said Double or Die was just an attempt to come up with a James Bond-like sounding title. I guess it can sort of be tied into the gambling aspect of the book (and the scene with the American Beer baron). Now that I've read the book, my Book 3 title choice would have been "The Hungry Machine." I think that works on many levels.

But this is about the Centenary novel. Because I know nothing about the book, I can't even make a guess. But if the book is about the first missions in which Bond gets his license to kill, then I wouldn't mind if the book was called "007."

#20 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

Smokeheart
Knight Of Shadows
A Conservative Estimate of Death

I've heard some of these titles but cannot remember where.
They are very good...

Those all sound really good to me for some reason. I especially like "a conservative estimate of death"

#21 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

I also like the title My Enemy's Enemy.

My suggestions for a title would be Best Of Enemies, A Call To Arms, or Circle Of Death which are twists of phrases (best of friends, a farewell to arms, and circle of life)--a tactic that Fleming occasionally liked to employ, see Live And Let Die.

#22 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Death's Rich Pageant

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

I got a geat idea. From Bond's obit...

The nature of Commander Bond's duties with the Ministry, which were, incidentally, recognized by the appointment of C.M.G. in 1954, must remain confidential, nay secret, but his colleagues at the Ministry will allow that he performed them with outstanding bravery and distinction, although occasionally, through an impetuous strain in his nature, with a streak of the foolhardy that brought him in conflict with higher authority. But he possessed what almost amounted to "The Nelson Touch" in moments of the highest emergency, and he somehow contrived to escape more or less unscathed from the many adventurous paths down which his duties led him.

So, how about...

The Nelson Touch.

#24 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

:cooltongue: :angry:
That's a great idea!

#25 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

Contract: Black

?
The Nature of Revenge

#26 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

An Ounce of Love, A Measure of Hate

Death Under The Rising Sun

The Eyes of Danger

The Coldest Weapon of All

Dark Profession

Edited by TheREAL008, 29 April 2007 - 09:28 PM.

#27 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:04 PM

Death's Too Short

Live Death to the Full

The Rhythm of Death

Die by Example

The Spice of Death

#28 Leiter

Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

While I know England does not have a King at the present time. I think that a good title would be "For King and Country". I believe that it has a Fleming-esque feel to it. Or perhaps "By Orders of Immediate Action". However, the latter would most likely be best for a short story.

#29 Bondfiend

Bondfiend

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 02:38 AM

I've always liked the sound of the word Primrose. Maybe Operation Primrose or Hammerblow.