5 replies to this topic

#1 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

Suddenly came to me after I watched the hugely enjoyable 'Donnie Brasco' last night. He's nothing slated beyond post-prod of his latest and has helmed a passable Harry Potter. Unless I've lost my touch. I remember guessing Stuart Baird for the chair of Star Trek: Nemesis to some Paramount suit at a convention. His jaw dropped and he swore me to secrecy!

#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:10 PM

Newell seems an extremely realistic choice. He fits Eon's traditional profile for directors to a T, being British and 65 years old, and having a very long and varied CV that includes everything from episodes of CORONATION STREET in the '60s and BBC work to Hollywood TV stuff (THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES) and minor American hits (DONNIE BRASCO, PUSHING TIN), as well as commercial smashes (FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL) and "worthy" fare like the upcoming LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA. HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE shows that he's willing to do (quality) franchise fare, while his resume shows him to be a reasonably prolific and highly versatile director - or, to put it less kindly, a hired gun with no personal style who'll happily take orders from his employers and won't rock the boat, but also someone who's proven he can make "quality", critic-pleasing films and who therefore carries a certain amount of "snob value", which I believe is something that Eon likes in directors.

I imagine that Newell is right at the very top of Eon's wishlist of directors (well, probably after Campbell, but otherwise right at the very top), and I won't be even vaguely surprised if he's hired for BOND 22.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

[Mods Note: Topic moved to Bond 22 discussion]

#4 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

He does seem to fit the typical EON criteria rather well...

#5 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

Good comments, Loomis, his CV does indeed seem to fit the bill for the typical Bond director.

#6 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:22 AM

Mike Newell would be a great choice. I could see him turning in a fantastic BOND 22.