36 replies to this topic

#1 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:56 PM

Now that I've finally finished Blood Fever (yes, I'm a little bit behind with my reading, amongst other things :cooltongue: ), I have a feeling that Higson's books really are taking off. And from some of the comments on Double Or Die I gather that the Young Bond series is truly arriving in serious Fleming-country, including weapons and "gadgets".

One thing I noticed during reading Blood Fever is that James is on serveral occasions wondering what time it is. As I haven't read Higson's third book up to now, I don't know if he already gave Bond his (first?) wristwatch. If not, here is my personal suggestion for a proper watch for 1930's Bond.

It's a Mido Multifort, introduced in 1934, the first automatic, anti-magnetic, water-proof (up to 30 metres; perfectly sufficient back in those days), and shock resistant watch of its time. Check it out here:

http://www.mido.ch/e...istory/1934.htm

Between WWI and WWII Midos used to be among the most exclusive, innovative and in-demand brands of that time.
During the 1930's the company created a range of watches styled after the car-coolers of Bugatti, Buick, Excelsior, Peugeot, and Chevrolet. These vintage models are extremely rare nowadays and score remarkable prices among collectors.

Mido uses the unique Aquadura-system to water-proof their watches. This system is remarkable for its adoption of special cork crown-sealings which are made nearly service free by use of a chemical treatment and can keep the watch sealed up to thirty years and sometimes more.

A nice nod to Bond: In 1959 Mido introduced the Ocean Star Commander, a piece of timeless elegance, typically for the design of the late fifties and still produced nearly 50 years later with hardly any changes.

Granted, Midos today are not in the league of Omega, much less the league of Rolex. But back in Bond's teenage years they were certainly a league of their own. And I think, some of the above mentioned facts would have appealed to Fleming too.

If you want to know more about Mido watches, their history and their present range, check out these links:

http://www.mido.ch/de/home
http://www.swisswatc...sa.com/page/130
http://www.articles4...ches-19117.html

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hey, this is a pretty cool idea, Trident. Good choice of watch as well. :cooltongue:

#3 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:41 AM

To tell the truth, I'm a little bit partial as I own a Commander model myself (which was the first single shell watch of its time). :cooltongue:

Mido was also the first company to introduce unbreakable spings, the world's first Center Chronograph in 1945(i.e. all hands arranged in the center), the world's most powerful winding mechanism (1954), and the world's smallest automatic ladies watch (1967). Although it's hard to imagine today, the brand was for many years known as the "King of Waterproof Watches" and during the 1930's at least on par with Rolex.

I've no idea if and when Mr. Higson intends to give Bond a wristwatch. But if he ever considers to do so, a Mido Multifort would certainly be a top choice. Considering that young Bond is a dedicated athlete having excelled (amongst other sports) in cross country running, diving and snorkling and the physical strenous nature of his adventures, I really think he deserves a proper timepiece to keep him company. The Mido would be up to the tasks ahead, at least until Bond joins the Navy.

#4 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

Most impressive. I had no idea such an advanced watch was available back then.

#5 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:25 PM

It seems that many, if not even most of the advancements made in the field of wristwatches originated from the development of modern day aqualung diving and warfare that occured during WWII.

The Italian Navy was the first to successfully employ "frogmen", divers that used compressed air regulators to infiltrate enemy naval bases and ships and deliver their explosives. When they severely demolished both the Valiant and the Queen Elizabeth in Alexandria, the Royal Navy, as well as most other nations at war, decided to adopt the concept and incorporate divers into their own commando tactics. This step called for reliable and rugged divers watches that could (by use of screwed crowns, back and front of case) be worn and reliably function in extremely demanding circumstances.

The Italian company Panerai (that up to then only manufactured fuses for mines and torpedos, compasses and altimetres and other such instruments) designed divers watches of their own, largely using Rolex components. A few of these watches, although unsigned, may have found their way to the commando divers of the Nazi-Kriegsmarine.

About the same time the Royal Navy obtained a small number of Rolex Oysters to equip its own divers. The british secretary Mercedes Gleitze has worn an Oyster model when she crossed the channel in 1927. The Oyster model had since then been further developed and now sported an automatic rotor self-winding mechanism, a screwed crown, better sealed back and glass as well as large luminious dials.

Mind you, most of these watches are superior to the Multifort model of 1934. But they were regarded as highly developed instruments for the very small number of professional divers of that time rather than as ordinary watches being worn by the casual swimmer. Most watch manufacturers didn't expect the market for divers instruments to expand the way it did. And only few of those firms went to the pains to invest into the further development of their water resistant watches for use during deep-sea diving conditions. Into that nich

#6 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

Actually, I think Hamilton was the maker of the first anti-magnetic watch. Perhaps Dell Deaton can track down the correct history for us.

Good topic.

4A

#7 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:25 AM

Actually, I think Hamilton was the maker of the first anti-magnetic watch. Perhaps Dell Deaton can track down the correct history for us.

Good topic.

4A

Good info, will have to track that down. I think "the first automatic, anti-magnetic, water-proof and shock resistant watch of its time" refers to all of these specifics in one single watch. But I may be wrong there. Expect to hear about it again.

#8 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:24 AM

Good topic.

4A

Good info, will have to track that down. I think "the first automatic, anti-magnetic, water-proof and shock resistant watch of its time" refers to all of these specifics in one single watch. But I may be wrong there. Expect to hear about it again.

Okay, but in any case, I guess we all know that whatever Bond's watch is, it should be a "tool" watch that is highly reliable. This is why I believe Fleming chose Rolex. And since Bond's mother was Swiss...

#9 Dell Deaton

Dell Deaton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

Sorry for not weighing in on this one sooner guys. (And thanks for keeping my name out here while I was away! :angry: )

Altho a bit outside my area of study, it's been my understanding that Tissot was "the first" anti-magnetic watch, dating to the late 1920s, early 1930s. If true, certainly in time (no pun intended) for Fleming's James Bond, if desired.

Like so many other manufacturers that have been consolidated, Tissot utilizes movements common to a number of brands and makes. In this case, as supplied by ETA. And today, Tissot, ETA, and current 007 watchmaker Omega are all owned by the Swatch Group. Beyond this, I know that the Omega "Railmaster" brand enjoyed a strong and well earned reputation as an anti-magnetic watch. But, again, today I think the Railmaster name is more of a name harkening nastalgia than an indication of performance.

Ball Watches has an interesting technical brief on this, if that's of further interest (LINK).

Rolex introduced its "Milgauss" model in ~1954 and offered the line in various configurations until ~1986. This targeted sort of a niche market among electrical plants. Early versions shared components w/ the Submariner and the two models could easily be confused by casual glance.

Although there's no "final answer" in arguing "should" among James Bond watch choices, I have nonetheless often felt that the Milgauss might have better served 007 as a tool watch. I mean, if you think about it, how often does he press the limits of water depth resistance for performance, versus the number of places where electromagnetic hoopla posed a threat to proper time keeping? :cooltongue:

That said-- since we are on the subject of "magnetism = bad" for mechanical watches, am I the only one struck by the irony that, in Live and Let Die, the quartz-electronic Hamilton Pulsar with which Bond starts out in that film would certainly have been a better candidate for a Q-watch magnet gadget than the Rolex Sub? And on the other hand, wouldn't his mechanical Rolex Submariner Date from Licence to Kill have been better held over in the face of the EMP threat in GoldenEye than was his quartz Omega Seamaster 2541.80 (which would have been compromised by the blast?

Not criticizing, mind you; just entertaining!

#10 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

Terrific idea Trident. I would welcome this, give Young Bond some additional tools to accompany his pen knife.

We only have Hurricane Gold and Book 5 left for it.

#11 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

http://www.mido.ch/e...istory/1934.htm

Lovely - yes! Fantastic idea. Calling chiggie007! :cooltongue:

#12 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Sorry for not weighing in on this one sooner guys. (And thanks for keeping my name out here while I was away! :angry: )

Altho a bit outside my area of study, it's been my understanding that Tissot was "the first" anti-magnetic watch, dating to the late 1920s, early 1930s. If true, certainly in time (no pun intended) for Fleming's James Bond, if desired.

Like so many other manufacturers that have been consolidated, Tissot utilizes movements common to a number of brands and makes. In this case, as supplied by ETA. And today, Tissot, ETA, and current 007 watchmaker Omega are all owned by the Swatch Group. Beyond this, I know that the Omega "Railmaster" brand enjoyed a strong and well earned reputation as an anti-magnetic watch. But, again, today I think the Railmaster name is more of a name harkening nastalgia than an indication of performance.

Ball Watches has an interesting technical brief on this, if that's of further interest (LINK).

Rolex introduced its "Milgauss" model in ~1954 and offered the line in various configurations until ~1986. This targeted sort of a niche market among electrical plants. Early versions shared components w/ the Submariner and the two models could easily be confused by casual glance.

Although there's no "final answer" in arguing "should" among James Bond watch choices, I have nonetheless often felt that the Milgauss might have better served 007 as a tool watch. I mean, if you think about it, how often does he press the limits of water depth resistance for performance, versus the number of places where electromagnetic hoopla posed a threat to proper time keeping? :cooltongue:

Thanks for your very informative links and contribution, Dell Deaton! I never even knew a "Milgauss" Rolex existed.

That said-- since we are on the subject of "magnetism = bad" for mechanical watches, am I the only one struck by the irony that, in Live and Let Die, the quartz-electronic Hamilton Pulsar with which Bond starts out in that film would certainly have been a better candidate for a Q-watch magnet gadget than the Rolex Sub?

Good point. I always wondered why LALD didn't make more use of the Pulsar. Would have made more sense somehow IMHO.

Terrific idea Trident. I would welcome this, give Young Bond some additional tools to accompany his pen knife.

We only have Hurricane Gold and Book 5 left for it.

Well, let's see what Higson comes up with. At any rate a proper timepiece for James certainly wouldn't come amiss.

Edited by Trident, 29 April 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#13 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

Charlie, if you are reading this - I know you are still going writing Book 5, if you can include a watch for Young Bond to wear, I would be extremely pleased :D

#14 007Bond

007Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

Ian Fleming said James wears a Rolex with big numerals.

http://www.rruegger...._oyster_mih.jpg

May be this one ?

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

I thought I'd revise this thread, because in By Royal Command James Bond does indeed get a Mido Multifort as his first watch! Is this just a massive coincidence? Nope. Here's what Charlie said today about the choice.

“As you know that’s via your website, John. I think for the real Bond purists I should have given him a Rolex because that’s his iconic watch. But I sort of love the idea of the Multifort. It just looked like a really interesting watch. And I think, for the time, it is the right watch for him to have. And it’s a nice little nod to CBn.”

How cool is that?

Congrats Trident. You're the new Boothroyd! :(

#16 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:19 PM

I thought I'd revise this thread, because in By Royal Command James Bond does indeed get a Mido Multifort as his first watch! Is this just a massive coincidence? Nope. Here's what Charlie said today about the choice.

“As you know that’s via your website, John. I think for the real Bond purists I should have given him a Rolex because that’s his iconic watch. But I sort of love the idea of the Multifort. It’s just a really interesting watch. And I think, for the time, it is the right watch for him to have. And it’s a nice little nod to CBn.”

How cool is that?

Congrats Trident. You're the new Boothroyd! :)

Oh my God!

Well, this is nothing less but marvelous!

Absolutely fan-tas-tic!!!

I really don't know what to say now. Merely 'Thanks' seems a bit weak, doesn't it?

Many, many thanks, Mr Higson. I really feel deeply honoured.

And of course thanks to you, Zencat, for keeping such close ties with Higson and Young Bond, connecting CBn with all the latest news on the series and making this great moment possible in the first place. I'm really stunned and awfully proud now (do I already sound drunk? I certainly feel that way.).

Jippeeeeee! :(

#17 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

How cool is this? Congratulations, Trident.

This would make for a nice story on the main page of the site.

#18 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:41 AM

Awesome!

Congratulations Trident and thank you Charlie.

#19 Sigma7

Sigma7

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Give young bond a Czech issued military Lemania

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

How cool is this? Congratulations, Trident.

This would make for a nice story on the main page of the site.

Yes it would. :(

#21 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

Very cool indeed, Good work Trident!

#22 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

Congrats! That is really cool.

Agreed that this should be made into a short article and Main Paged - similar to when Ernie was an extra on CR.

There are more important things in life, yes, but little things like this are what makes being a fan sweet sometimes. :(

#23 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:35 AM

Congrats, Trident!

Posted Image
Young Bond's watch is "a nice little nod to CBn", says Charlie Higson

#24 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

Holy finoley! Great work, Tri! :):(

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:52 AM

Fantastic article, [dark]. :(

I love this. It's Bond history!

#26 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:26 AM

Congrats trident! Outstanding!!!!!!!!!! :( :)

#27 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:28 AM

Wow great work, Trident! This is excellent news. Really lets you know that CBn is number 1 when it comes to Bond.

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 04:53 AM

Really terrific, Trident. Kudos to you! :)

[dark]'s line in the main-pager perfectly sums it up: Never underestimate the power of a James Bond fan.

:(

#29 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thanks an awful lot, guys!

I still feel a little tipsy when I think about it. It certainly feels great to have initiated a tiny little detail, however small, into Bond's world. Can't wait to lay my hands on 'By Royal Command' and wolf it down in a session.

Great article [dark]!

And of course thanks to CBn for making this possible in the first place!

You're doing a fantastic job here, ladies and gentlemen. Without you this wouldn't have happened. :(

#30 Jack Spang

Jack Spang

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

Yes, well done Trident! Great stuff.

I hope the next series of Young Bond novels moves to around the time of the war or leading up to it. Mr Higson said in his talk at the Imperial War Museum a few months back that there were plans for the next series to be set during wartime and that the books would have a slightly more adult tone. I suppose everyone already knows that though. Mr Higson is very interesting and entertaining to listen to as many would know.