20 replies to this topic

#1 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

With the idea of giving Bond 22, a U.S. box office boost, I've been trying to think of an American actress to play the Bond leading girl that has both box office clout and is also a good actress. The only two I can think of is the now scrawny Angelina Jolie (who nobody on these boards probably wants) or Scarlett Johansson who is gorgeous and a great actress but at 21 just too young for a 17 year older Daniel Craig. Right now there certainly seems to be a deficieny of Hollywood sirens that can act! Who is there?

#2 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

I'm not sure an American bond girl is the way to go right now anyway.. I think Catherine Murano was an inspired choice for CR, and I'd be very supportive of another exotic (if little known) beauty from Italy or the Mediterranean..

I know there's been a lot of negativity to the idea on this forum, but I'm still very pro a Bollywood beauty as well (if they can find the right girl)..

as far as American women, someone understated and elegant like Maggie Gyllenhaal would be the only thing to come to mind.. I'm just not sure she can carry off the sex appeal aspect of the part..

I love Scarlett Johanssen, but she was abominable in The Black Dahlia, so I'd hate to have a similar appearance in a bond flick (she is awesome though.. just not right for this part)

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

I think Halle Berry proved the addition of a name U.S. actress does not necessarily give Bond films a substantial "boost" (certainly not enough to justify their salary). It does, however, compromise them creatively.

#4 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

I think Halle Berry proved the addition of a name U.S. actress does not necessarily give Bond films a substantial "boost" (certainly not enough to justify their salary). It does, however, compromise them creatively.

Well said! I completely agree, I would absolutely hate another version of that scenario in 22!

#5 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

It's not just the actresses. The actors are an abomination as well. We don't have anything near the caliber of our actors of old, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Ray Milland, etc. Some say Clooney, but he doesn't even come close. Bradd Pitt, what a joke!

#6 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

It's not just the actresses. The actors are an abomination as well. We don't have anything near the caliber of our actors of old, Cary Grant, Humphrey Bogart, Ray Milland, etc. Some say Clooney, but he doesn't even come close. Bradd Pitt, what a joke!

But--what about Ice T? Ice Cube? Vin Diesel? Madonna? And--and--I forget...

#7 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:10 PM

Exactly.

Pandering to the American market is not a concern for Bond. It does not make its money in that Northern territory alone. Why do you think breaking China this week was such a coup for Eon and Sony?

#8 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:15 PM

The American acting scene just seems so wrong for Bond right now.. all of our most beautiful actresses are so embroiled in tabloid scandals that they dont' have time to actually learn the craft (or don't have the desire when they can depend on their good looks for as long as those might last).. all of the leading men seem to be too busy selling their souls (and artistic credit) to crappy action thrillers.. I actually can't even remember the last time I've seen a worth-while American film (with an american cast..) All of the Indie stars are a little too indie, and the mainstream is far too mainstream :cooltongue:

I think for now, Bond is going to have to do his searching over-seas.. Bond is a British invention, afterall.. I don't see a problem with a predominately British cast!

#9 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

The American acting scene just seems so wrong for Bond right now.. all of our most beautiful actresses are so embroiled in tabloid scandals that they dont' have time to actually learn the craft (or don't have the desire when they can depend on their good looks for as long as those might last).. all of the leading men seem to be too busy selling their souls (and artistic credit) to crappy action thrillers.. I actually can't even remember the last time I've seen a worth-while American film (with an american cast..) All of the Indie stars are a little too indie, and the mainstream is far too mainstream :angry:

I think for now, Bond is going to have to do his searching over-seas.. Bond is a British invention, afterall.. I don't see a problem with a predominately British cast!

A problem? I see heaven there: Brits and Europeans.

The scene our way is woeful. Imitation, after all, is the sincerest form of Hollywood :cooltongue:

#10 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

Denise Richards?

Tanya Roberts?

Teri Hatcher?

Halle Berry?

Enough said...

#11 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Couldn't agree more with Bond_girl. American girls are so closely followed and set on pedestals that it's hard to cast them in features such as Bond films without the need to bill them highly or tout the film as a team effort. This was evidenced somewhat in The World Is Not Enough, then they hit rock bottom with Die Another Day. The U.S. one-sheet said it all. Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry team up for an amazing adventure. The thing with most, I say most Bond girls is that they need to be memorable and endeared to Bond, but not to the point that they pull him away from the focus of the action, and not to the point that they will overshadow the next Bond girls to come. Vesper and Tracy are obvious exceptions.

#12 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

If we're limiting the potential pool to American actresses (just for the sake of discussion), then I'd go with Reese Witherspoon as the top choice to be in a Bond film. I think she's a fantastic actress (she was brilliant in Walk the Line and very much deserved her Academy Award). There's only about an 8 year difference between her and Craig, which is much smaller than the difference between Eva Green and Craig, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:33 PM

If we're limiting the potential pool to American actresses (just for the sake of discussion), then I'd go with Reese Witherspoon as the top choice to be in a Bond film. I think she's a fantastic actress (she was brilliant in Walk the Line and very much deserved her Academy Award). There's only about an 8 year difference between her and Craig, which is much smaller than the difference between Eva Green and Craig, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Not sure about Reese Witherspoon. Bond Girls should exude class. Not look like they have turned up late for it.

#14 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, I just can't think of anybody decent.. Julianne Moore a few years ago maybe..

My absolute personal opinion, but for British women, I'd love to see Kate Winslet.. she'd never do it, but she's so beautiful, curvy, and classic.. and not too loud for the part... basically, if it's going to be a media circus (ala Berry is announced), they've got the wrong girl :cooltongue:

#15 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

Although I'm fond of Lois Chiles and Teri Hatcher, I don't want any American Bond girls for Craig's sophomore outing. However, I'm sure MGM/Sony will probably pressure EON into hiring one. Like it or not, the U.S. Box Office was better for Brosnan's 2nd, 3rd and 4th Bonds than for GoldenEye and as we know the remaining Brosnan films had an American actress in the cast, whether that helped the North American B.O. or not.

#16 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

To be completely honest. Is there an actress that is actually 'hot' in Hollywood today?. Maybe Hilliary Clinton?. Julianne Moore. Maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger?.

Why cast a Hollywood "siren" anyway. Look what happened the last time. There was a lot of noise hence the term "siren".

Would EON spend 99% of their budget casting some seedy cash demanding high profiled actress who can only pull two facial expression as the leading lady...or villianess?.

Nope. EON should continue to pull cheap good wannabees from Europe because that's all they can afford.

Any actress/actor who commands half a zillion for twenty minutes screen time should be slaughtered immediately.

Would rather EON spend money on actual talent than expensive Hollywood actresses who just cannot act.

Cheers,

Ian

#17 archer1949

archer1949

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 02:52 AM

I don't see why an American actress would be such a horrible idea in principle, if she fits the character and story. I just don't want to see some big name star shoehorned into the script ala Halle Berry (of whom I am not a fan of anyway).

A lesser known actress with no tabloid baggage and the chops to really flesh out a character shouldn't be limited just because of her nationality.

#18 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:33 AM

Vera Farmiga (The Departed) auditioned for Vesper Lynd, I think she could be an interesting possibility. I agree that A-list actresses aren't needed, they bring the wrong kind of attention to a Bond film, but if we look beyond the cover of US Weekly I'm sure there are plenty of American actresses who could be good in a Bond film.

#19 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

This is interesting. Real bias against American actors! Snarky much? When American actors are mentioned only the truly awful are pulled out. What about Diana Rigg (she only lived in the UK)? Or Jill St. John?

As for actors for Bond 22 or beyond- I have a little list.

Kristen Bell- Veronica Mars anyone? No stronger female actor out there today except-

Sarah Michelle Geller. Go on, argue against Buffy. Just say it to her face. I double dog dare ya.

Charisma Carpenter- okay I misspelt the first name but beautiful, the right age and sexy. She can act. Plus with a Mexican and Cheerokee bg she is exotic looking.

Elisha Dushku; Beautiful, power actor when given a chance to shine. Can do the physical stuff, sex as well as stunts. I might like her best of all.

Gina Torres- genre fav. All the things said about the others aplies double, nay tripley to herself. Although she may be from PR. What the hey let's include her anyway.

Naomi Watts- I know, English and raised down under but NW makes the pain go away. At least she lives here.

No one's mentioned Jennifer Gardner.

Kelli Cook- no one's heard of her. Another power actor, beautiful and very smart. I know her personally so I better include her.

There ya go. I'd say the Yanks are battin' a 1000.

#20 supernova

supernova

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:58 AM

['RazorBlade' date='6 February 2007 - 14:35' post='697946']

". . . As for actors for Bond 22 or beyond . . .
No one's mentioned Jennifer Garner."

Yes, here is an actress that I could well see in the leading female role in the next Bond movie.

#21 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:57 PM

['RazorBlade' date='6 February 2007 - 14:35' post='697946']

". . . As for actors for Bond 22 or beyond . . .
No one's mentioned Jennifer Garner."

Yes, here is an actress that I could well see in the leading female role in the next Bond movie.

I think we should all steer clear of those temptress lady types from the U S of A... at least where it comes to Bond. Halle Berry and Denise Richards are still serving time in a state penitentiary for crimes against Eon....