19 replies to this topic

#1 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

We saw how Jeffrey Wright was recast as Felix Leiter. And he did a admirable job too. Now for sake of the discussion lets assume that they recast some of the most obnoxious characters in the 21 films in Bond22. Who would they be?

I will start with the most obnoxious of them all - Sheriff J.W. Pepper. Who else but Tom Arnold as the annoying Sheriff?

What about Jack Wade? Anyone can best Joe Don BAKER? Any other annoyances who can be cast?

#2 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

We saw how Jeffrey Wright was recast as Felix Leiter. And he did a admirable job too. Now for sake of the discussion lets assume that they recast some of the most obnoxious characters in the 21 films in Bond22. Who would they be?

I will start with the most obnoxious of them all - Sheriff J.W. Pepper. Who else but Tom Arnold as the annoying Sheriff?

What about Jack Wade? Anyone can best Joe Don BAKER? Any other annoyances who can be cast?

I think I would just eliminate both characters altogether, especially the sheriff.

Turning my eye to other characters, I'd cast Monica Bellucci as Paris Carver, Angela Bassett as very re-written Jinx, and cast a foreign actress in the part formerly known as Christmas Jones.

#3 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

I think I would just eliminate both characters altogether, especially the sheriff.

Turning my eye to other characters, I'd cast Monica Bellucci as Paris Carver, Angela Bassett as very re-written Jinx, and cast a foreign actress in the part formerly known as Christmas Jones.

I was talking about annoying characters...Paris Carver - annoying? Well, Monica Belluci as Paris was Pierce's fantasy and a thought that is quite mouthwatering :cooltongue:
Angela Basset as Jinx - A 40's has-been as a Bond gal?
If you are going to rename Christmas, then what will come twice in Turkey?

Carry on...

#4 Jackanaples

Jackanaples

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

I was talking about annoying characters...Paris Carver - annoying? Well, Monica Belluci as Paris was Pierce's fantasy and a thought that is quite mouthwatering :cooltongue:
Angela Basset as Jinx - A 40's has-been as a Bond gal?
If you are going to rename Christmas, then what will come twice in Turkey?

Carry on...

Yes, I find Teri Hatcher to an extraordinarily annoying presence in a movie. She has no place in any Bond movie I would cast.

I find Angela Bassett extremely sexy, looking especially fine at the age of 40 in HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK. A woman in her 40's is far more believable to me than watching Brosnan go after women have his age.

As for Christmas Jones: the character, the name, and that line are among the weakest in the series. I'd talk about Stacy Sutton but AVTAK is great soundtrack in search of a movie already...

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:23 PM

I was talking about annoying characters...Paris Carver - annoying?

Very much so. She comes across as nothing but a shallow, charmless gold digger (what, she fell for Carver's warm personality?), rather brainless to boot, and it's impossible to buy her as someone the great James Bond would have lost his heart to. What's more, Hatcher's performance is one of the most wooden in the Brosnan era, which is saying something.

#6 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

I was talking about annoying characters...Paris Carver - annoying?

Very much so. She comes across as nothing but a shallow, charmless gold digger (what, she fell for Carver's warm personality?), rather brainless to boot, and it's impossible to buy her as someone the great James Bond would have lost his heart to. What's more, Hatcher's performance is one of the most wooden in the Brosnan era, which is saying something.

Yes, but she looks bloody good in stockings and underwear. :cooltongue:

James Bond always HAS been incredibly shallow when it come to women.

#7 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

How about Larry the Cable Guy as Sheriff J.W. Pepper?

Or R. Lee Ermey as Jack Wade?

:cooltongue:

#8 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

I don't want any annoying characters back :cooltongue:

Jeffrey Wright was the antithesis of annoying in CR, I hope they keep that trend going..

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Jeffrey Wright was the antithesis of annoying in CR

Indeed. He was probably the best Leiter ever. And Leiter has usually been annoying - in the films, at least.

#10 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:49 PM

How about re introducing Plenty O'Toole's bra as Blofeld's double dugout volcano?. :cooltongue:

#11 Killmaster

Killmaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

let's just forget about all those old annoying characters shall we, and speak no more of them? with the focus being a continued down-to-earth , gritty realism in future bond films, that type of character doesn't fit anymore, not that they ever really did.

#12 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:29 PM

A better question might be "which awesome characters would you bring back if you could?"... I miss Blofeld a little :angry:

and SMERSH.. all of them :cooltongue:

#13 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

M (male)-Terrence Stamp
JW Pepper-Ron White
Plenty O'Toole-Jordan
Pussy Galore-Angelina Jolie
Honey Ryder-Sienna Miller
Domino-Molly Sims

More to come!

#14 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

LEts not take this thread too seriously, I think it is just for fun. How about

Rainn Wilson as Q (or at least Smithers)
Leonardo DiCaprio as Boris
Fred Willard as Willard Whyte (or maybe Fred Willard as Q)
Chevy Chase as the double taking pigeon.

#15 Thunderfinger

Thunderfinger

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2019 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:48 PM

Or Forest Whitaker [censored] Whisper,
Eddie Murphy [censored] Tee Hee,
and Samuel Jacksson [censored] Baron Samedi.

With James Earl Jones as Mr Big, of course.

#16 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:10 PM

I would love my little pigeon, Percy, to be cast as a double-taking pigeon in Bond 22....I'd better start training him now.

#17 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:07 AM

If Bond revisits Japan at some point, I'd like Mister Mansai Nomura to play Tiger. I concede that he's only been in 3 films; however, consider his performances in each.

His filmography includes Ran where he plays Tsurumaru, and Onmyoji and Onmyoji II where he plays Abe no Seimei. I came up with the idea after noticing some interesting similarities between Abe no Seimei and Mathis, especially the mystery and humor of both.

Edited by darkpath, 30 January 2007 - 02:08 AM.

#18 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:47 AM

Or Forest Whitaker [censored] Whisper,
Eddie Murphy [censored] Tee Hee,
and Samuel Jacksson [censored] Baron Samedi.

With James Earl Jones as Mr Big, of course.

Samuel Jacksson [censored] Baron Samedi would be great. We could have a remake of LALD with all of the above and it will be great fun to laff at...
How about Cedric the Entertainer as Whisper and Forest Whitaker as Mr. Big?

And how about Sasha Baron Cohen (Borat) as General Orlov(OP)?

Jon Voight as Stromberg/Drax. He can fake an atrocious accent (like in Anaconda) to sound like a megalomaniac. And who else but his daughter Angie as XXX (though she was not annoying)...

Elijah Wood - Nick Nack

Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal - Mr. Kidd & Mr. Wint

Crispin Glover - Necros (TLD)

Lindsay Lohan/Hillary Duff - Bibi

Scarlett Johannsen - Plenty O Toole

Jessica Simpson - Mary Goodnight

Cate Blanchett - Kara Milovy

Hugo Weaving - Jaws from MR

Ian McKellen/Lee Tamahori - Blofeld from DAF (he will fit in drag)

#19 DavidSomerset

DavidSomerset

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:31 AM

If Bond revisits Japan at some point, I'd like Mister Mansai Nomura to play Tiger. I concede that he's only been in 3 films; however, consider his performances in each.

His filmography includes Ran where he plays Tsurumaru, and Onmyoji and Onmyoji II where he plays Abe no Seimei. I came up with the idea after noticing some interesting similarities between Abe no Seimei and Mathis, especially the mystery and humor of both.

Wont he be about 100 years old by now?

Born in 5 April 1966. Makes him 41, doesnt it? But Tiger was cool and not annoying.

Edited by DavidSomerset, 30 January 2007 - 10:31 AM.

#20 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Wont he be about 100 years old by now?

Born in 5 April 1966. Makes him 41, doesnt it? But Tiger was cool and not annoying.

He's 40. He doesn't turn 41 until later in the year (like myself, for that matter). Did you find Nomura-san annoying? If so, may I ask how so? If not, then I'm not sure I understand your meaning. Would you mind elaborating? Sorry to trouble you.