14 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:35 AM

....do you think the character should be disabled, acknowledging the events of "Licence to Kill", or do you think there is no need to try for continuity with the Dalton era?

#2 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 12:01 PM

I think that they should build on it, having Leiter return in a wheelchair and then having artificial limbs, like from the books.

#3 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 12:17 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't have Leiter disabled. It's not as if disabled people can do nothing. And it's also not as if Leiter needs to be the man of action in the film. (We already have one of those.) I'd personally like to see the hook and artificial legs, but one artificial leg would do. Pick a good, charismatic actor (read not John Terry) and give him a cane and tell him to limp. (My choice of Anthony Michael Hall is already doing this The Dead Zone. :) )

By the way, Carver, Leiter wasn't in a wheelchair until the Benson books.

#4 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 12:21 PM

Oh, I haven't read many books Mr*, sorry. Those ideas you have are good, he should have a cane and stuff, so then people would know who he is, and the idea about a charismatic actor is good too. Maybe your choice of actor (sorry, can't remember his name) could play Leiter.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 01:46 PM

Mister Asterix, I agree that "it's not as if disabled people can do nothing", and I certainly don't wish my question to imply that. I didn't want to start a thread in which people argued whether a non-disabled version of Leiter might be "better" than a version of the character living with the after-effects of a shark attack.
I just wanted to bring up the Leiter issue as a way of asking a wider question about the kind of continuity fans value in the Bond series. We all know that Leiter has always been played by actors of widely divergent ages, shapes and sizes (if you count "Never Say Never Again" - as many of us don't - the character's even been portrayed as an African American in addition to the usual white guy). Essentially, the question is: if the Bond series were to reintroduce a character who last appeared almost 15 years ago when another actor was playing 007, do you think there is an obligation to acknowledge events of a previous film? It may seem a dumb question, and probably a lot of people reading this would automatically think "Well, OBVIOUSLY Leiter would have to be disabled." Then again, there are plenty of continuity lapses in the series, for example (although on a pretty minor scale) Bond's inability to read Chinese characters in "Tomorrow Never Dies" contradicting the First in Oriental Languages at Cambridge boasted of in "You Only Live Twice". And don't forget that setting the pre-credits sequence of "Goldeneye" in 1986 was taken by some as a sly implication that the Dalton years never happened!

#6 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 02:01 PM

I'm for keeping continuity.

And for the record I don't think the scene in Tomorrow Never Dies contridicts the statement in You Only Live Twice. Beside other reasons, taking a first in oriental languages doesn't help you much with typing. It is quite possible that Bond could understand every character on that board, but would be forced to hunt and peck to type on it. I imagine this would be extra difficult with all of the Chinese characters.

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 02:10 PM

Mister Asterix, as one who does have a degree in Chinese (albeit not a Cambridge First), I concede the point that Bond may indeed have understood the characters but been flummoxed by the keyboard. You're right, typing isn't always a walk in the park even with character knowledge.

#8 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 02:36 PM

well I tend to disregard that YOLT line......a lie on Bond's part or just a way for him to not have to learn Japanese.....after all we never see him really speak Japanese....

if you bring back Felix, give him a limp and a fake hand and that will be enough for the fans, no need to dwell on the past, just let the people know you remember and don't try to have him do things he couldn't do...

#9 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 05:29 PM

The problem with the Felix of the films is as said before is that as a character he lacks continuity in terms of appearance, age, and personality. It's a shame that the literary Felix and his relationship with Bond was not effectively brought to the screen over the course of the series.

But the plot point of Felix losing an arm and a leg was a major one and drove an entire film, I don't see how it could be disregarded if he was brought back.

As for the hook and the limp, this is 2002, can't the CIA do better with prosthetics than that? Have you seen what artificial limbs can do and what they look like now? Just watch that commercial with the man playing basketball with two prostethic legs, it's awe inspiring.

MBE

#10 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:55 PM

Felix should return, if only to say to Brosnan, "You know, you're a lot nicer fella and a helluva lot better actor than that other guy."

#11 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 07:39 PM

Originally posted by IrishCrown
Felix should return, if only to say to Brosnan, "You know, you're a lot nicer fella and a helluva lot better actor than that other guy."

Okay, we all get it. You don't like Timothy Dalton. If you can't give it a rest, could you at least keep it in the Timothy Dalton topics?

#12 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 10:53 PM

Maybe what the producers could contract an actor to play Felix (with disabilities) in several films. He could be some sort of modern day "Six Million Dollar Man", and that could play some plot points as well.

Which is the blond Owen brother (Royal Tenebaums)? He might be good, but probably not with Brosnan, too young. He might have to wait until a new Bond is cast. How about Clive Owen? Wait, both actors with the same last name...maybe not!

#13 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:02 PM

Duh, I'm sorry, it's either Luke or Owen Wilson whom I was thinking of.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 24 July 2002 - 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
The problem with the Felix of the films is as said before is that as a character he lacks continuity in terms of appearance, age, and personality.  It's a shame that the literary Felix and his relationship with Bond was not effectively brought to the screen over the course of the series.

Completely agree with you there MBE, and it's a travisty to Bond's best friend in "the business" to be treated in this way.

But the plot point of Felix losing an arm and a leg was a major one and drove an entire film, I don't see how it could be disregarded if he was brought back.

Very true. His disability just cannot be ignored.

As for the hook and the limp, this is 2002, can't the CIA do better with prosthetics than that?  Have you seen what artificial limbs can do and what they look like now?  Just watch that commercial with the man playing basketball with two prostethic legs, it's awe inspiring.

I can't see why Felix can't be seen in a wheelchair as a result of his injuries in Licence to Kill. If you look at how Felix was portrayed by John Terry in The Living Daylights, he could have very easily been in a wheelchair for all his scenes.

OK, John Terry in The Living Daylights is not the best example of the portrayal of Felix Leiter, but I'm trying to say that Felix wouldn't be any less effective if confined to a wheelchair.

I remember a TV series called Wise Guy back in the late 70s (early 80s?) that starred Ken Wohl as an undercover agent. His offsider was played by Jim Burns and his character was wheelchair bound, but still was a capable and vital backup to Vinny Terranova (Wohl's character).

Felix can easily do the same for Bond. CIA is a government organisation and is required to practice equal oportunity for all, and I just refuse to accept that Felix Leiter can be in another Bond movie without the physical continuity from Licence to Kill.

And I don't think that Felix would want to wear prosthetics because, apart from the fact that it would be too simple and easy a cop-out for the production of the movie, I think he would "wear" his injuries as a badge of honour from the field.

I'd really like to get Jim's perspective on this issue.

#15 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat (edited)
And I don't think that Felix would want to wear prosthetics because, apart from the fact that it would be too simple and easy a cop-out for the production of the movie, I think he would "wear" his injuries as a badge of honour from the field.

While I think Felix would wear prosthetic legs, that's a darn good arguement for why he would wear a hook.