7 replies to this topic

#1 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 02:32 AM

I thought it would be pretty interesting if Bond was assisted by anther agent for a couple movies. He work so well with 006 in Goldeneye I thought it would be interesting to see what would happen it Bond got anther partner. What does everyone else think. :)

#2 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 03:53 AM

Well, Miranda Frost is going to be in DAD and she works with MI6, so she could be a partner to an extent. :)

~LTK~

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 July 2002 - 06:19 AM

I think one of the appeals of the films is Bond is a lone agent taking on the villians in each film. Sure he gets help from the agent every now and then, and the Bond girls help him in each film. I however, dont think Bond should have a partner, not in the traditional sense though, we dont want Bond turned into Lethal Weapon.

#4 Gunbarrel

Gunbarrel

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 02:07 PM

Bond doesn't need another partner. He needs Felix Leiter back!!

#5 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 06:04 PM

Gunbarrel beat me to it. If Bond is to get a sort of partner in a film, make it Felix.

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 11:27 AM

Felix definitely needs to return to the series - although I can't decide whether I want him to come back able-bodied or whether "Licence to Kill" should be acknowledged by making the character disabled.
I wholeheartedly agree with JimmyBond that the last thing the Bond series needs is a sidekick to take things down the "Lethal Weapon" route. Also, one of the essentials of Bond is that the character is a lone wolf, both in his work and in his, ahem, social activities.
That said, I miss the tradition of Fleming's novels and some of the earlier films of Bond hooking up with an older, almost fatherly ally, such as Ali Kerim Bey ("From Russia With Love"), Draco ("OHMSS") and Columbo ("For Your Eyes Only"). These kindred spirits have been lacking in the series for quite some time, and it would be nice if the screenwriters of future films could cook up a couple more of these characters, guys with "colorful" pasts who don't walk as straight and narrow a moral path as the cinematic 007, but who have much in common with Bond and end up siding with him.
I'd also like to see a future film scene in which Bill Tanner and/or Charles Robinson take part in a gun battle alongside Bond or otherwise help him kick ***.

#7 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 12:26 PM

Well said Loomis:). I have to disagree with what you said about Leiter being able-bodies and stuff. Mr* said on another topic about Leiter being diasabled, and that it didn't really matter. Its not as if he couldn't do anything, he wouldn't need to fight (as we have Bond). It would also be good, having a disabled person in the Bond series, it would make it seem real, and people in wheelchair or who have artificial limbs, wouldn't feel left out.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, Carver, but as I hope I've made clear on another thread, it was never my intention to imply that a disabled Leiter would be in any way "inferior" to a so-called able-bodied version of the character, I just wanted to see whether other fans cared about continuity with past Bond movies. While we're on the subject, though, I'd be uneasy if Leiter were to return with a disability that was in any way "exploited" by the movie, such as Terminator-esque artificial limbs shooting Q-branch style weaponry (although I doubt the filmmakers would ever go that far). Whatever, this belongs on another thread, if anywhere.