Vesper and her cellphone

4 replies to this topic

#1 Dr00d

Dr00d

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:12 PM

I have seen CR a couple times now and after a while, I noticed during the dinner scene, after Bond wins, that Vesper takes a call on her phone and she sort of looks distressed and gasps, then rubs her forehead saying "They are bringing in Le Chifre as we speak". I don't think I saw this in another topic, but it dawned on me that that was a strange reaction to something like Le Chifre being taken in. Does anybody think that this could be the time when Mr. White's organization calls her and tells her that her boyfriend has been kidnapped and not to tell Bond? Or, could it be she already knows her bf is kidnapped and it's when they tell her to use Bond to get the money now that he's won it? Am I reading too much into her reaction? :cooltongue:
Look at her face closely when she receives the call...the reaction seems odd.

Another cellphone detail. When they're in love and in the hotel room with her in the red dress, she gets a call from her "employer" and types "Be back in one month". Could it be she's typing the message to James regarding Mr. White's phone number?
Thoughts?

#2 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:20 PM

I'd say her her boyfriend was definitely kidnapped before CR...I don't know why that would've happened midway through the movie without any clarification. It only seems logical to me to assume that she was always working for the organization.

The 'back in one month' thing seems possible, though she could've done that at any time....I don't think it's a huge deal.

#3 Dr00d

Dr00d

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:31 PM

I'd say her her boyfriend was definitely kidnapped before CR...I don't know why that would've happened midway through the movie without any clarification. It only seems logical to me to assume that she was always working for the organization.

Ugh, I've always liked to think the kidnapping occured mid movie because if not, I wouldn't like her as much during the train scene when she looked like she had no alterior motives and was acting freely on her own. She couldn't have been THAT good in hiding her secret troubles -but then I guess I'm a romantic.

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

She may have been able to hide it during the train scene, because she was yet to feel any emotional attachment to Bond, thus meaning that she didn't feel like she was betraying him specifically. It's also possible that she wasn't fully aware of the extent of what she was being asked to do at that point. Either way, I'm fairly sure that kidnapping would have occurred earlier on. I assumed that the text message she received was her getting her instructions to leave the hotel, be 'kidnapped', thus trapping Bond.

#5 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

I think the first message was from Mathis, I believe she was distressed because she was working for the Organisation, and if Le Chiffre was interrogated, it may come out.

The second message would have been from Le Chiffre/White, why would Mathis second 2 messages, when he had just contacted her? He would have asked to meet her in the first message.