57 replies to this topic

#31 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like you already know everything there is to know about RED TATTOO, Smitty. I'm also a big Benson fan and May can't come quickly enough for me. I recently heard some info that the plot may involve a biological terror attack (or attempted attack).

#32 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 04:31 PM

Just got my RED TATTOO UK hardcover yesterday. Initial impressions:

*The dust jacket looks pretty sharp in the flesh, especially the back (I posted a pic in the thread; "Red Tattoo Cover Art Here!"). Benson

#33 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 10:50 PM

I thought that the UK edition didn't come out until May.

BTW, You have no idea how jealous I am, zencat. :)

#34 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 April 2002 - 01:21 AM

zencat (05 Apr, 2002 05:31 p.m.):
I'm not going to be able to read it for few weeks yet (this is going to be torture), but when I do I will definitely post a short review.

Torture for all of us too, waiting for your review zencat. :)

I was going to check to see if there was going to be a slip-up regarding reference to "G7" and not "G8".

I suppose it would have too much of a mistake to let slip through as Russia became the 8th member quite a while ago.

#35 daman3755

daman3755

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 11:25 PM

You are right about the bio-terror attack. I asked Benson about the book - he was pretty tight lipped, except for a few things:

1) The main action is a bio-terrorism attack
2) Tiger Tanaka is Bond's main ally
3) We will see some familiar faces from the YOLT novel
4) the main villian is from the Union (that Japanese guy, can't recall his name offhand, but he is the "man with the red tattoo" - his tattoos are that of the Yakuza)

Hope that sheds some light!

~Jerrold

#36 Smitty

Smitty

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 11:56 AM

Just got my RED TATTOO UK hardcover yesterday. Initial impressions:

*The dust jacket looks pretty sharp in the flesh, especially the back (I posted a pic in the thread; "Red Tattoo Cover Art Here!"). Benson’s name is prominent on the spine.

*For the first time since Brokenclaw a Bond book has red boards.

*I continue to be unimpressed with the paper and printing quality of the UK books...design stops at the dust jacket. In this one regard the US editions are far superior.

*The book is 292 pages long.

*The chapter titles are VERY intriguing; “Old Ghosts” (?).

*There's a new pic of a beardless Benson.

*The "G7" summit has become a "G8" summit.

I'm not going to be able to read it for few weeks yet (this is going to be torture), but when I do I will definitely post a short review.

Ok now I AM going out of my mind YOU HAVE THE BOOK ALREADY !!!!
Calm .... focus.... breathe...
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
I should have mine by the 18th of this month
There is a book store in London called CRIME IN STORE Bedford St Convent Garden that gets the books about 1-2 weeks before the actual release date. They also have the new Penguin Fleming novels and audio tapes, all read by Rufus Sewell except TSWLM read by Samantha Bond at

#37 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 05:42 PM

I couldn't take it anymore and just ordered a copy from the amazon UK site, it'll be my first first UK edition of a Bond novel.

#38 Smitty

Smitty

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 05:16 PM

Thanx guys if you learn anymore in the future let me know :-)

#39 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 December 2001 - 10:37 PM

I have a theory on The Man With The Red Tattoo.

I saw a special on the History Channel on the research in to biological weapons that Japan was doing at the end of World War II. I believe that this research took place on the islands that Benson said Yoshida was interested in inNever Dream Of Dying. One of the weapons that they were working on was a ceramic bomb that deployed bubonic plague through infected fleas. They show said that the weapon could have killed ten times the number killed at Hirosima.

I am guessing that Yoshida's plot will have something to do with this research and the stores of plague and other bio-weapons that were kept on those islands.

Well, its a theory anyway.

#40 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 06:06 AM

And a damn good one too Mr*! I really hope that you're theory is right. I think if Yoshida is using technology developed from the Imperial era of Japan it would give him a real touch of nostalgia, and also reaffirm just how much of a fanatic he really is!

Great theory!

#41 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 December 2001 - 05:00 PM

Yes, I agree, great theory, Mr *.

#42 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 12:55 AM

daman3755 (24 Dec, 2001 11:25 p.m.):
4) the main villian is from the Union (that Japanese guy, can't recall his name offhand, but he is the "man with the red tattoo" - his tattoos are that of the Yakuza)

Hope that sheds some light!

~Jerrold

Hhhhmmmm..... When Yoshida had his little cameo in NDOD, there was no mention of him having a tattoo, let alone Yazuka style. He must have gotten them "off screen".

#43 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 09:28 PM

Well done Rossman :) I think you'll enjoy the better coverart sitting on your shelf more! I have to admit, I'm expecting to have both the UK and US editions of The Man With The Red Tattoo. Here's hoping :)

#44 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 10:36 PM

Blofeld's Cat (06 Apr, 2002 02:21 a.m.):

Torture for all of us too, waiting for your review zencat. :)

Well, I sat down in bed this morning to just peek at the first chapter... Sixty pages later and I'm still peeking... :)

So the review may be coming sooner than I expected, although maybe we shouldn't post until the offical release date; May 2?

Oh, by the way, I'm LOVING IT!

#45 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 10:46 PM

That's something I've been thinking of as well. The decision I've come to is have everyone that has the novel and wants to, write a review. One or two weeks before the novel is release feature them on the site one day at a time. Sort of like a countdown that doesn't actually end with the novels release but leads towards it.

#46 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 11:14 PM

Sounds like a very good idea, Blue Eyes. I will email you my review instead of posting it.

#47 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 11:39 PM

Blue Eyes (07 Apr, 2002 10:28 p.m.):
I'm expecting to have both the UK and US editions of The Man With The Red Tattoo. Here's hoping :)

I'll have to get the US edition eventually. (I cancelled my pre-order on it from the US amazon to afford the UK book). I can hardly wait for it to arrive, the wait is getting worse each day.

My plan so far is to get into it as soon as it gets here and read it into the endless hours of the night (as I did with NDOD). The lack of sleep will be well worth it.

#48 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 08 April 2002 - 04:24 AM

zencat (08 Apr, 2002 12:14 a.m.):
Sounds like a very good idea, Blue Eyes. I will email you my review instead of posting it.

E-mail is always better than snail mail. :)

#49 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 01:33 AM

Progress report:

I'm 3 quarters of the way through TATTOO and loving it. I'm trying to slow down and savor it, but this book moves like a bullet train. I'm in a James Bond Japanese haze...my Bond Girl neighbor and I are going out for Japanese food tonight to stay in character. Will Bond save the day? I'll find out tomorrow. No phone calls, please. :)

#50 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 05:58 AM

You and your neighbour! I'm still working on a 21 year old!

Anyway, back to TMWTRT! I received my copy today. Awesome cover work. You're right, it looks a lot better in the flesh. I'm up to chapter three and so far so good.

I'm going to have to re-read it before writing a review though. We're having the stairs polished at home and the stench has put me right out of it!

#51 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 09:41 PM

You too now, Blue Eyes! I can't take this much longer, my copy hasn't even shipped yet, I'm growing restless.

I have two questions, none of which will spoil the book, just general questions.

Does the book begin with a "pre-title" inspired sequenced like HTTK or ZMT or NDOD?

Does the Jaguar return, I just loved that car, even with the whacky gadetry.

#52 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 10:47 PM

RossMan (09 Apr, 2002 10:41 p.m.):
Does the book begin with a "pre-title" inspired sequenced like HTTK or ZMT or NDOD?

Sort of. But it's not an "action" sequence, nor does it involve Bond. It's just sort of an inciting incident or hook.

RossMan (09 Apr, 2002 10:41 p.m.):
Does the Jaguar return, I just loved that car, even with the whacky gadetry.

No Jag this time. Just the DB5 briefly.

#53 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:07 PM

Does Benson write more 'Flemingish' in this book? He hasn't in all his others, so I wouldn't expect it, but it would make [TMWTRT] all the more appealing!

#54 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 02:04 AM

General Koskov (10 Apr, 2002 12:07 a.m.):
Does Benson write more 'Flemingish' in this book? He hasn't in all his others, so I wouldn't expect it, but it would make [TMWTRT] all the more appealing!

Does Benson really have to write Flemingish?

I don't expect Benson, or any Bond author, to have to write like Fleming, or even try to. The character of Bond should be Flemingish, Fleming elements yes,or follow more like the literary Bond then the movies, but everyone has their own writing style. I read, say, Role of Honor because I want to read a John Gardner Bond book, same with Benson.

Benson said it himself that he isn't trying to duplicate Fleming's writing style therefor is there any need to even compare his writing to that of Fleming's?

#55 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 04:04 AM

General Koskov (10 Apr, 2002 12:07 a.m.):

I think most Bond fans would feel insulted/alienated if Raymond tried to write like Fleming.

#56 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 04:05 PM

This plot summery just appeared on the Amazon.co.uk order page for RED TATTOO:

"With an emergency G7 summit meeting just days away, it's a race against time as James Bond confronts both man and nature in a desperate bid to stop the release of a deadly virus that could destroy the Western world."

#57 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 11:25 PM

Sorry, zencat. There are a lot of missing posts from this thread but I wanted to let you know that History Channel showed two episodes of that The Secret's Of World War II last Saturday. One at 8am CDT and one I think was 7pm CDT. Neither was the episode I was talking about (and I'm still not 100% sure that's where I saw the stuff about Japan's Plague Bombs), but I thought you might want to look out for it in the weeks to come.

#58 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Mr. A. I'll check it out.

Hmmm... Any idea why I've lost my "Staff Member" designation? I'm back to a "00-Agent" for some reason.