Vesper Martini..

37 replies to this topic

#31 HornedFrog

HornedFrog

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

Excellent suggestion, HornedFrog. TCU fan, are ya'? And, welcome to CBn and the Forums.

Thanks. I do plan on serving a few Vespers at TCU games next year.

#32 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

Shouldn't the Vesper be served in a champaign goblet? I believe that's how it was ordered in Fleming's CR.

Indeed, he does. It really depends on the glassware available. I always look about at the bar or around the restaurant to see what type/style of martini glasses or goblets are being used. If I'm not happy with the martini glasses, I have opted for a different style or a goblet if it fits the bill.

My Dad always like his on the rocks, very dry with two olives and two onions. I convinced him to try one of mine the last time he visited me in 2002. He said it was definately a sipping drink, but he did like it.

#33 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Excellent suggestion, HornedFrog. TCU fan, are ya'? And, welcome to CBn and the Forums.

Thanks. I do plan on serving a few Vespers at TCU games next year.

Excellent. :cooltongue:

On the main board, in International Events, Unites States of America, you will find several sports oriented threads available for your enjoyment, as well. CBn has it all.

#34 MHazard

MHazard

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:02 PM

Man, I could never be that suave. Is there some kind of correspondence course I can take for this before I order that first Vesper?

Yes, it's called read all the Fleming Bond novels. But do remember, as I think we all sometimes forget (I know I do) that James is a fictional character and has a lot more time to come up with his lines than we do. His key is he's comfortable in his own skin and you need to be in yours. I spent too much of my younger days with an inadvertant Connery burr, drinking vodka martinis and trying to look cruel until I smiled, which, is not me. I still drink Vodka martinis and try for a little Connery irony, but within the context of me. In any case, the novels will be the funnest education you've ever had.

#35 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Man, I could never be that suave. Is there some kind of correspondence course I can take for this before I order that first Vesper?

Yes, it's called read all the Fleming Bond novels. But do remember, as I think we all sometimes forget (I know I do) that James is a fictional character and has a lot more time to come up with his lines than we do. His key is he's comfortable in his own skin and you need to be in yours. I spent too much of my younger days with an inadvertant Connery burr, drinking vodka martinis and trying to look cruel until I smiled, which, is not me. I still drink Vodka martinis and try for a little Connery irony, but within the context of me. In any case, the novels will be the funnest education you've ever had.

Outstanding advice!!!

#36 *Gala*

*Gala*

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

You can get all the 007 recipies here :cooltongue:

The Vesper, in particular, would include:
* Three measures of Gordon

#37 vicbond

vicbond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:18 AM

Just had one thanks to Bryce :cooltongue: . A dammed excellent drink. The best Martini I've ever had. Like others have said, its my new favourite drink. Gonna be hard to ask for it elsewhere tho.

#38 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for the PM good sir and glad to hear Adam and the lads at Guido's tended to you as only they could.

Again, I highly suggest the smoked salmon.

You can always get extra toast. :angry:

Funny, I almost wandered over there tonight.

Maybe next time, but I'm sure there was a smile on Adam's face when you requested one.

One of the finest "little secrets" in West LA. We must meet up some time.

Hint: Always ask about the special's of the evening. The Oso Bucco is to die or kill for. :lol:

Glad you enjoyed your Vesper. :cooltongue: