18 replies to this topic

#1 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:25 AM

Tim performances were good but the thing that really bugs me was his accent slipping into Yorkshire dialect. Am i the only one who could here it?

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:40 AM

His voice did seem a bit odd at times but I never attributed it to that. Then again I'm an American and was unaware of the fact that there was more than one kind of British accent until recently. :)

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:17 AM

Yep, that accent was a bit jarring in places. I posted something awhile ago about the way he delivered a particular line to Sanchez after he was "rescued" from the ninjas: "Things were about to get nass-ty."

Also, the way he said "Piss orf" to Sanchez later on.

#4 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:58 AM

Originally posted by PaulZ108
His voice did seem a bit odd at times but I never attributed it to that. Then again I'm an American and was unaware of the fact that there was more than one kind of British accent until recently. :)

Yes my old fruit, there are many. Sometime i think it would be fun if Bond had to go undercover in the east end of london and talk cockney or in Liverpool and speaking in the scouse accent. The producer would have to provide sub title for moviegoers.

#5 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

Also, the way he said "Piss orf" to Sanchez later on.

Not to nitpick(well yes, thats exactly what I'm doing :)) Bond said Piss off to one of the MI6 agents not to Sanchez.

I didnt really pay much attention to his accent (sounded fine to me), but as PaulZ108, I wasnt aware there was more than one kind of accent either when I first saw the likes of LTK.

#6 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:38 PM

I posted a topic about this a while a go. The thing that really stickes out for me is the 'things were about to turn nass-ty' line, it just oozes Yorkshire accent.

#7 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 14 July 2002 - 11:32 PM

I'm confused, throughout most of LTK and TLD does Dalton speak with a Welsh accent or is it an upper class English accent. I'm unsure.

It's probably very obvious and I'm just being silly.

#8 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 05:21 PM

Its a welsh accent everyone- just look at the classicly welsh sing-song delivery of: "I'll do an-ything for a wo-man with a nafe" (that's 'knife' to well-spoken you or I, but a whole different pronunciation for Tim-from-the-valleys). See also: "Watch the birdy, you bass-tud."

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 06:00 PM

[i]...that's 'knife' to well-spoken you or I, but a whole different pronunciation for Tim-from-the-valleys). [/B]

I thought he was from North Wales, not South Wales.

#10 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 08:00 PM

LOL, you guys got me in stitches here, taking th p*** out of the Welsh accent (though don't go too far). Actually, Dalton was born in wales and raised in Yorkshire (hence the nass-ty in LTK)so his accent was a mixture of Welsh and Yorkshire.

#11 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:22 PM

I wasn't criticising the way Dalton talks and I don't mind Welsh accents. I was just wondering.

I've always thought Connery was bad at doing an upper-class South-Eastern English accent.

#12 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 10:12 PM

Believe me, Tim's accent is actually very German :)

#13 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 10:39 PM

Very good :)

Talking of German accents, is it true the Saxon accent is looked down upon by other Germans?

No offense if you're a Saxon.

#14 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
Very good :)  

Talking of German accents, is it true the Saxon accent is looked down upon by other Germans?

No offense if you're a Saxon.

Yes, that's true :)

And actually I am not a Saxon, thank god for that. The Saxon accent is just cruel :)

#15 Dalton

Dalton

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Carver
LOL, you guys got me in stitches here, taking th p*** out of the Welsh accent (though don't go too far). Actually, Dalton was born in wales and raised in Yorkshire (hence the nass-ty in LTK)so his accent was a mixture of Welsh and Yorkshire.

Sorry to correct you old boy, but Tim Dalton wasn't raised in Yorkshire. He lived in Derbyshire, in a small town called Belper. He has spoken of this in a British documentary that aired back in '96 in tribute to the late Cubbi Broccoli.

#16 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:10 PM

I think we're all missing the really important point here: namely what the hell is that bizarre mid-atlantic husky whine (it alternates between the two ) that emanates from the horizontal chasm in Pierce Brosnan's face? Sean talks like the dirt of Edinborough- fair enough; George is oddly Austrailian ( Witness: "north of the caspian")-but he only did it once so we can let him off; Roger can't help but be classy which is a complaint many of us have to bear; and Tim is confused- but at least he stays on this side of both the pond and being a soprano, unlike the Bros-man. And whats with all that eye-twitching. And lip-pursing?

#17 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Tim007 (EDITED)
And actually I am not a Saxon, thank god for that.

So, let me see...

The Prussians MAKE the rules.

The Bavarians BREAK the rules.

What are the Saxons famous for :)

#18 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:56 PM

PS I know strictly speaking Prussia no longer exists.

#19 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Dalton

Sorry to correct you old boy, but Tim Dalton wasn't raised in Yorkshire. He lived in Derbyshire, in a small town called Belper. He has spoken of this in a British documentary that aired back in '96 in tribute to the late Cubbi Broccoli.

Well, don't I feel a p***k:o