6 replies to this topic

#1 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

The leaking tear duct is a result of torture Le Chiffre suffered as a young accountant while working for the ruling communist family in Albania in 1990.

He accumulated a small fortune by redirecting tiny percentages of the ruthless family's money into a Cayman Island bank account he had set up for himself hoping the family would remain oblivious over the years.

His underhandedness finaly caught up. He vehemently denied any wrong doing but they beat him severely, letting him live in the end only because he was a talented mathematician with a good eye for an investment which he'd used to enhance the ruling family's wealth 'legitimately'.

The scaring is a result of optical surgery Le Chiffre underwent in Cuba in order to gain his eyesight back after the severe bashing he took to the head during the torture session.

:-)

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:24 AM

Did you make this up or did you read it somewhere?

#3 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:20 PM

I think he made it up hehe :P

Since I haven't read the book in a while, and don't actually remember Fleming's explanation of the character, here's my history based on the film adaptation of the character:

Lets assume that the film is set in the same time as the novel first of all..

Born in the midst of WWI in Toulouse, both of Le Chiffre's parents were killed in an unfortunate friendly fire accident, and since that time, Le Chiffre has carried a strong sense of hate and scorn for the western powers. Shuffled from orphanage to orphanage, Le Chiffre contracted a degenerative lung condition at an early age, and quickly became a sullen and sickly child. Even if he'd been in good health, the combination of poverty and lack-of-place that surrounded him would have been enough to make him unpopular. His physical weakness only added to his distress, and he was often forced to bear the brunt of schoolyard beatings and tauntings.

When he was 12, Le Chiffre, sick of the constant beatings that he was recieving, began to carry a small knife. During a skirmish after school, several of his classmates threatened him, and when he produced the knife, managed to wrangle it from him (not a difficult task considering his physical weakness). The oldest of the boys began to taunt Le Chiffre with the knife, and as he was taunting and jabbing at the boy, something snapped in Le Chiffre's mind. Lunging at the older boy with a speed and strength that neither anticipated, Le Chiffre forced the boy to the ground and in terror, the older boy slashed wildly at Le Chiffre's face, catching him across his left eye. Le Chiffre didn't seem to notice the injury, and with an almost animalistic intensity, threw the knife away, and very nearly strangled the older boy to death as the blood dripped down his face and neck.

Le Chiffre was obviously banned from school after this incident, and a stigma began to follow him around more strongly than it had before. Now, though, the people of the town whispered and made room for Le Chiffre, and he learned very quickly that a strong personality that is willing to be cruel can take what even the physically strong cannot have..

Or something like that :P Damn, I really am getting into this character, I didn't mean to write like a book's worth of post :)

#4 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Good, good stuff! I like it, just his realization that enough cruelty can beat physical strength. Unfortunately true for now.
And very astute in attributing his psyche to where most guys are made or broken. Social life with other boys. Made all the more a fragile time because Le Chiffre was without a father.

Good ideas! :)

#5 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

Good, good stuff! I like it, just his realization that enough cruelty can beat physical strength. Unfortunately true for now.
And very astute in attributing his psyche to where most guys are made or broken. Social life with other boys. Made all the more a fragile time because Le Chiffre was without a father.

Good ideas! :)

hehe thanks :P I'm on a Le Chiffre rant today I think :P

#6 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:39 AM

Did you make this up or did you read it somewhere?

I made it up...but it fits in nicely.

#7 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:32 AM

Shame. Really. I was just beginning to.... LIKE it!

Well done Hildy.