22 replies to this topic

#1 Krazy Brit

Krazy Brit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

First time poster BTW.

Have a couple of thoughts on the movie itself and Daniel Craig. First and foremost, as an ACTION movie, it kept me thoroughly involved and entertained throughout. Editing, cinematography, music, locations and story were very good. On the whole I liked the supporting actors with the exception of Judi Dench -- strongly feel that M should have been recast with an actor in the mold of, say, Anthony Hopkins or Terrence Stamp. Sadly, an opportunity lost.

Second, Daniel Craig proved to be totally believable and very good as an MI6 agent with a license to kill, but I didn't really buy into him as the character of James Bond. During the movie I imagined Craig as GAVIN BOND a long lost cousin of James who did a stint in the SAS and was recently promoted to 00 status. This worked for me and allowed me to enjoy the flick until the end when Craig uttered the final line (shattering my suspension of disbelief). If only he had said:

"The name is Bond, Gavin Bond"

#2 annita

annita

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:56 PM

First time poster BTW.
:)

Second, Daniel Craig proved to be totally believable and very good as an MI6 agent with a license to kill, but I didn't really buy into him as the character of James Bond. During the movie I imagined Craig as GAVIN BOND a long lost cousin of James who did a stint in the SAS and was recently promoted to 00 status. This worked for me and allowed me to enjoy the flick until the end when Craig uttered the final line (shattering my suspension of disbelief). If only he had said:

welcome!
I think you are missing an important point here, Bond in was not supposed to be the Bond we all used to in the films,he was supposed to be Bond on his first mission..raw, visceral, and unpolished..a blunt instrument,but through out the film there is a transformation in the character, and Craig portrayed that beautifully, so when we finally reach the final scene, the words "the name is Bond..James Bond", reflect that change..and by the time he uttered the line, he was truly "James" Bond

#3 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well...sucks to be you then, I guess...

Is there some particular reason you didn't buy him as Bond?

#4 Krazy Brit

Krazy Brit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

Be that as it may I still see Daniel Craig as GAVIN BOND.

Whose missing the point, now?

#5 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

Why am I always so suspicious of these "first time posters"?

Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about "Krazy Brit"?

#6 Tuxedo wearing Bond

Tuxedo wearing Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

Why am I always so suspicious of these "first time posters"?

Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about "Krazy Brit"?

yeah, and the hints in the name lol.

Just kidding, but Krazy Brit...what are you talking about?

#7 Krazy Brit

Krazy Brit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

What are you guys trying to insinuate? You should be ashamed of yourselves (except for the first reply)"welcoming" a new poster like that!

OK, here it is in really simple terms:

1. I liked the movie.

2. I liked Daniel Craig's performance in the movie as a tough ex-SAS 00 agent.

3. Daniel Craig does not confirm to my own vision of the character James Bond, both in a cinematic and/or literary sense. Specifically, a tad too muscular, a tad too short, and a tad too working class. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but that's the way I see things.

"Heresy! Blashpemer! Crucify the unbeliever!"

Some of you need to lighten up a bit!

#8 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

Daniel Craig does not confirm to my own vision of the character James Bond, both in a cinematic and/or literary sense. Specifically, a tad too muscular, a tad too short, and a tad too working class. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but that's the way I see things.

That's okay, Moore and Brosnan don't conform to my vision. For me, Craig is the right build for a military man who's now a multi-function government agent, the right height to blend in with the crowd while still being tall (6'0), and in terms of character he is the ideal synthesis of the Connery and Dalton interpretations. But to each his own. :P

And as for working class, hey, it worked for that dang truck driver, didn't it? :)

#9 kneelbeforezod

kneelbeforezod

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1131 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:48 PM

What are you guys trying to insinuate? You should be ashamed of yourselves (except for the first reply)"welcoming" a new poster like that!

lol, "methinks he doth protest too much". You really don't sound like a "first time poster".

You say "Heresy! Blashpemer! Crucify the unbeliever!", as if you're responding to the answers you expected to get, rather than the ones you actually did get.

It's almost as if you've posted here many times before, under many different names.

Edited by kneelbeforezod, 09 December 2006 - 08:50 PM.

#10 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 08:56 PM

It's almost as if you've posted here many times before, under many different names.

Funny, I got the same feeling when he felt the need to type out "first time poster' when he only had 1 post.

#11 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

Funny, I got the same feeling when he felt the need to type out "first time poster' when he only had 1 post.

We can't kill the thread just yet though, we haven't even gotten to the traditional posting of photoshopped images to not illustrate his point!

#12 Krazy Brit

Krazy Brit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:14 PM

Nice repsonse Publius -- that's how a reasonable open minded person repsonds to a post.

As for the others... You people who think your work for MI6, today is the very first time I have posted on this (or any other) forum. Scouts Honour! That doesn't mean I haven't been lurking around here for the last year or so, silently digesting your posts, biding my time.... until I strike, like Thunderball!!!

#13 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

-"Were you a boy scout?"

-"No, but I was always prepared."

#14 deth

deth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

-"Were you a boy scout?"

post of the day.

#15 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

-"Were you a boy scout?"

post of the day.

*takes a bow

#16 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

Well, I for one see the point. I can't make myself compare Craig to any of the other five. I think he was fantastic in the movie and is, in a new way, James Bond. I guess in a way we have the first new Bond actor who isn't cast in the mold of Connery. A good thing all round.

#17 Trip Aces

Trip Aces

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:47 PM

Would have been kinda cool if the last few lines we're like this:

Mr White (on the phone): "Who is this?"
Bond: "Bond...James Bond"

<shoots in the foot>

Movie then ends how it normally does.

I dont know it may be cheesy but i think it would be pretty good

#18 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

Specifically, a tad too muscular, a tad too short, and a tad too working class.

These very minor (you use the word tad) and primarily cosmetic differences really prevent you from accepting Craig as James Bond?... That's unfortunate...

BTW, I agree that he's more muscular and slightly shorter than I personally visualize Bond, but that didn't prevent me from accepting him in the role.

#19 capungo

capungo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 12:26 AM

First time poster BTW.
:)

welcome!
I think you are missing an important point here, Bond in was not supposed to be the Bond we all used to in the films,he was supposed to be Bond on his first mission..raw, visceral, and unpolished..a blunt instrument,but through out the film there is a transformation in the character, and Craig portrayed that beautifully, so when we finally reach the final scene, the words "the name is Bond..James Bond", reflect that change..and by the time he uttered the line, he was truly "James" Bond

Totally agree. If you want a bit more of the grace normally seen in our Bonds, I'm sure you'll get it in the next one. Otherwise, while unleashing Gavin Bond upon the world would certainly be a twist, I think that a name change would've caused riots tenfold worse then the whole craignotbond debacle. But to each their own.

#20 Krazy Brit

Krazy Brit

Cadet

• Crew
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:23 AM

MarcAngeDraco "These very minor (you use the word tad) and primarily cosmetic differences really prevent you from accepting Craig as James Bond?... That's unfortunate... BTW, I agree that he's more muscular and slightly shorter than I personally visualize Bond, but that didn't prevent me from accepting him in the role."

Well, we live in a shallow society when it comes to looks, particularly in respect to our movie hero icons. Sure, if there was just one physical aspect that didn't match up to my vision of Bond, then I could buy into Craig as JB. Unfortunately, several physical characteristics work against him (BTW I do ACCEPT Daniel Craig as James Bond, and I think he will be an adequeate custodian until they retire him like they did poor old Pierce).

I didn't want to mention it before in the interests of not raising a point that has been done to death, but it is pertinent to this discussion: Craig is a tad too blond for my taste and in one shot -- specifically the last scene on the beach with Vesper -- bordering on the albino side! Couple that with less than optimal stature, Rambo like muscles, ears that stick out, and working class stature, it is difficult for me to BELIEVE in him as James Bond. But I do accept him, in fact I feel he is far more acceptable than the other candidates mentioned last year (Goran, Jackman etc..)

Peace.

#21 Lady Mouse

Lady Mouse

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

You really crazy, Krazy Brit! LOL. I must confess when I pictured Daniel saying the line "the name is Bond, Gavin Bond", it brought a smile to my face :-)

As far as Daniel Craig's looks go, I think we can all agree his ACTING is at such a high level compared to previous Bonds (cept Connery), even if he looked like Yoda most members of this forum would be fine with it.

#22 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

That first post was only to wet our appetites...

#23 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

That first post was only to wet our appetites...

Mine has been wetted and whetted. My head is spinning. Let me think. Craig will be 'an adequate custodian until they retire him'? I'm sure Dan'll be glad to hear that.