14 replies to this topic

#1 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

One of my (few and minor) complaints about CR is the (to me) somewhat confused action in the Venice finale. Although very brutal/visceral/exciting, things happen so quickly that it's a little hard to take in all of the details (the purpose of the ballast tanks, the nail gun, the live electrical wire, etc.).

Among the little details that still leaves me puzzled after three viewings is when Bond notices, and the camera gives a close-up of, fragments of broken green glass on the stairs. Am I reading something significant into this? Or am I missing something obvious?

#2 MR. BOND 93

MR. BOND 93

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hmmm... I don't remember the broken glass part.

#3 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

It's a good question. I remember seeing a tipped-over wine glass (is that right?), and for some reason my interpretation is that it suggests that Vesper had to make a quick exit.

Quick exit = up to no good.

#4 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:49 PM

It's a good question. I remember seeing a tipped-over wine glass (is that right?), and for some reason my interpretation is that it suggests that Vesper had to make a quick exit.

Wrong sequence. :)

Vesper broke that glass when she was on her way to the shower, upset about the stairwell fight.

Among the little details that still leaves me puzzled after three viewings is when Bond notices, and the camera gives a close-up of, fragments of broken green glass on the stairs. Am I reading something significant into this? Or am I missing something obvious?

Bond sees the reflection of a couple enemies moving in the glass, revealing to him that they're sneaking up around the corner.

#5 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:04 PM

Wrong sequence. :)

Vesper broke that glass when she was on her way to the shower, upset about the stairwell fight.

Bond sees the reflection of a couple enemies moving in the glass, revealing to him that they're sneaking up around the corner.

Oh yeah, I really choked on that one.
It's been a long week. Time to tip a few glasses of my own. :P

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

I don't recall the glass fragments in the finale scene. Will have to remember to watch for them next time.

#7 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

Yup... That's the significance...

#8 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:49 AM

Indeed...the reflection is pretty hard to see so I guess I understand how someone could miss that.

#9 Double-O-Kevin

Double-O-Kevin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:54 AM

I noticed it immediately as a clever nod to Goldfinger, when Bond is looking into the girl's eyes and sees the henchman in the reflection. Excellent...

Props, EON.
:) :P

#10 ambrosia

ambrosia

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

It seems logical they would use glass as a device since it's set in Venice, but it happens so quickly you may not catch it.

#11 I Like Sharks

I Like Sharks

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:45 PM

During the same sequence dosn't the case full of money fall into the water? How does Mr White get it?

#12 TaoMike

TaoMike

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:13 AM

[/quote]
[/quote]

Ahhh, thanks much. Another reason to see the movie again... :)

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:21 AM

One of my (few and minor) complaints about CR is the (to me) somewhat confused action in the Venice finale. Although very brutal/visceral/exciting, things happen so quickly that it's a little hard to take in all of the details (the purpose of the ballast tanks, the nail gun, the live electrical wire, etc.).

My thoughts:

Ballast tanks - It's Vence so, I guess, they are floatation devices to keep buildings affloat as water levels steadily rise over time.

The nail gun - Construction work is being done in the building and its fortuatiously used as a weapon, ala Lethal Weapon 2(?).

Live wire - Bond rips a cable out of the wall to use as a weapon.

Broken wine glass - As stated above, so Bond could see the reflection of the "baddies" around the corner. Why speciffically a wine glass though? Why not?

#14 capungo

capungo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:27 AM

During the same sequence dosn't the case full of money fall into the water? How does Mr White get it?

Obviously he swam out, got it, took off his wetsuit and had his suit on underneath :)

#15 Gri007

Gri007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1719 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 06:05 PM

Just like the reflection in the brass cup in Goldeneye. Bond see's someone coming. I think it's Campbells trick. Just like when Connery saw the reflection of the Mexican in that girls eye in the PTS of Goldfinger