12 replies to this topic

#1 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 08:29 PM

Well, how about it? He has contributed a lot to the Bond series, made a lot of other films, and has done a lot of charity work, could he be the second Bond to be knighted?

#2 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 08:02 AM

Yep, he should be Knighted, then made Monarch, then made Pope.

"His Royal Highness Sir Pope Roger Moore of the Vatican", I like the sound of that. :)

#3 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 03:09 PM

Yup, he's a top chap. I like the sound of it too.

Where's Xenobia when you need her for a take on the angle?

#4 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 03:58 PM

I'd be surprised if Roger didn't get it. I mean, Sean Connery got it (eventually), and he's a Scottish nationalist. With all of Moore's work with UNICEF, I think he deserves it. Maybe for some 40th Anniversary commemoration at Buckinham Palace, Pierce and Roger together will get it.

#5 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 08:05 PM

Originally posted by freemo
Yep, he should be Knighted, then made Monarch, then made Pope.

"His Royal Highness Sir Pope Roger Moore of the Vatican", I like the sound of that. :)

sounds good to me too!

#6 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:19 AM

arise Sir Roger! If Sean's got one for contribution to film industry and Scottish education, then Roger should get the same for his work as a UN ambassador.
If memory serves me, he is the only one of the holy trinity of sixties british film icons that has not got one , the trinity being Sean Connery, Micheal Caine.

#7 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:48 AM

I'd say Roger more than deserves it due to his careers in both acting and leading UNICEF.

#8 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 06:09 AM

I don't know about him being Pope...he's had enough fashion faux pas...but he is certainly worthy of knighthood.

If charity work is one of the deciding factors to knighthood, along with service to Queen and Country, Roger should have gotten it a long time ago.

As James Bond for the longest of the Fleming Five, he greatly increased the image and repuation of the British people, particularly those of the military, and moreoever, put Great Britain in a great light.

I am all for Sir Roger! Where do I sign the nomination letter?

-- Xenobia

PS: Work and writing has kept me away from the board for about 48 hours, but I am here now!

#9 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 09:01 AM

Xen write to UNICEF and ask them to put his name forward to the British Goverment or write to Tony Blair !

#10 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Rolex
arise Sir Roger! If Sean's got one for contribution to film industry and Scottish education, then Roger should get the same for his work as a UN ambassador.  
If memory serves me, he is the only one of the holy trinity of sixties british film icons that has not got one , the trinity being Sean Connery, Micheal Caine.

So much for Albert Finney, Richard Harris and Peter O'Toole then. I thought Moore was primarily a TV actor in the 1960s anyway.

Yeah, what the hell, give him a bauble for his charity work. If Mick Jagger can get one for servicing Brazilian models, I'm sure Moore deserves one. It would be surprising if he got one for his acting before the aforementioned Finney etc. That would be jolly unfair on them, because they're better actors and they've been in better films.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 08:25 PM

I agree with your choices Jim....particularly Mr. O'Toole who is a long standing favorite of mine....and I would say that all the men should be knighted concurrently, for their various contributions.

As for writing the letter to Tony Blair...I think that would work best if it is a petition put forth by the CBN community as a whole.

-- Xenobia

#12 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 08:32 PM

Well, if any of our administators agree, then maybe we should start up a petition on here to get Rog knighted!

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 05:55 PM

I thought it was interesting to note this thread (in the light of the recent good news) in which CBNers voiced their support for the idea months before Tony Blair put together the Queens honors list.